• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
grandmamt

Sending gifts to distant grandkids.

23 posts in this topic

Do grandparents really send gifts of $30. plus to there grandkids for Valentines? I want to send mine a little something but $30+. Is to much.  Any ideas on something simple & mailable wt?

Edited by grandmamt
1 person likes this

30 minutes ago, grandmamt said:

Do grandparents really send gifts of $30. plus to there grandkids for Valentines? I want to send mine a little something but $30+. Is to much.  Any ideas on something simple & mailable wt?

If you have grandgirlies, valentine socks are always cute...and they are lightweight so mail cheap...books are always good. I'll be seeing all of mine at some point....I have Dollar Store heart shaped beads for my 3 girlies (3, 4 & 6)...I may get the little boys (4 & 6) those wooden airplanes that they put together...not sure about the olders (two are turning 10 in a few weeks, two are 12)....I'll come up with something.

Meh.

I'd say it depends on how old the kids are. Mailing here (Canada) is so freaking expensive that to do a little something or other, it would cost more to send than the original item was to buy. It's crazy.

If they're old enough to be excited about getting mail, I'd just send a card, maybe w/some stickers in it.

I'm not big into Valentine's day for my husband and I, so it's not really a gift giving occasion to me.

5 hours ago, grandmamt said:

Welcome grandmamt! So glad you decided to come in and talk w/ us!

However,  while I understand why you placed this thread in Club Newcomer, I think it fits better in the Grandparenting From Afar forum. So I'm going to move it there.

Edited by RoseRed135

Ok, now I've moved this conversation from Club Newcomer to this long distance GP forum....

Anyhow, grandmamt, I think it's lovely that you want to send Valentine gifts to your GC (grandchildren)! Especially since it seems they live at a distance. Sending cards, gifts, etc., no doubt, is one of the ways GPs maintain a connection w/ faraway grands.

I don't see why the gifts have to be  "$30+" though. Kids don't generally care about price if they're little. And if they're older, hopefully, they'll know just to appreciate that you send them anything at all. Things that are fun, attractive and, perhaps, memorable (as in, "Remember when  we were kids and GM used to send us those... ?") should be fine w/o having to be expensive.

IMO, you got some good suggestions from the PPs (previous posters). It might also be a good idea to check w/ the parents about what might be best.

Hopefully, you'll enjoy whatever cards/gifts you send them and they'll enjoy receiving them! :)

I only send a card.  My grands already have more junk than their mothers can keep picked up.

4 people like this

When they were little, I'd pick up a small stuffed animal, usually for a few dollars.  But, like many say, they have too many so have quit that.  

A lot depends on the age.  I usually send a card, put in $1 (they love money to save) and will buy a pack of stickers with 4 or 5 sheets in it.  The card probably costs more than what's inside,  By putting these things in with the card, it usually doesn't cost any extra postage either.

3 people like this

I suppose that some grandparents send expensive gifts to their grandchildren. Most of us can't really afford to do that often, so we don't.

I don't want to be a "Grandma Moneybags" who is associated only with loot, anyway. Even if I could afford to be! :P But since I can't afford it, I also think in terms of saving that money for maybe being able to visit some day.

I do send cards and letters with regular monotony, and occasionally a little gift that fits in the envelope without costing a lot more. With my English speaking grandchildren, I try to send books once per year or so and with the children who don't speak English, I try to send tourist t-shirts on about the same schedule. 

I really think that the children feeling remembered, known, and loved is far more important than gifts.

2 people like this

Welcome GrandmaMisti

1 person likes this

Just now, SueSTx said:

Welcome GrandmaMisti

Thank you, Sue. :)

Welcome Grandmamisti! Happy you've chosen to join us.

I'm a crafty kind of grandma, so hand made pjs are huge hit all around. This year my 3 girlies will have some American Girl matching outfits that are far cuter, better quality and less expensive than purchased stuff. Amazon will deliver for you along with a gift tag.

1 person likes this

I've made doll clothes and those little sleeves are hard to set.  I don't sew much anymore so I buy the "fat quarter" for quilters.  They have some really cute prints.

Edited by SueSTx
1 person likes this

Do the sleeves before sewing the side seams....much easier to work with the garment flat

OH, I do...but my fingers are so stiff anymore

I send one card in a small box with home made Valentine cookies. There are 3 of them. Let's face it, the cards get thrown away or lost. Those cookies? Who bakes any more? Their moms and dads are busy. I'm told they look for the cookies now. Their happy and I'm happy because I love to bake and I love them.

3 people like this

Welcome Gardenlady1.  I always bake cookies if the kids are coming, but I haven't tried mailing them.

I don't give presents to grandchildren except on their birthdays and Christmas.  Am I the only one?  

1 person likes this

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 0:59 AM, grandmamt said:

Looking back at this, I'm wondering why $30 became a demarcation point.

Also wondering, grandmant, what did you decide to do?

51 minutes ago, RecLucy said:

I don't give presents to grandchildren except on their birthdays and Christmas.  Am I the only one?  

I'm sure you're not, RecLucy, but even ta Christmas or bday gift may have to be sent if the GP lives at a distance and won't get to see the GC that Christmas or for this/that bday. Also, I think LDGPs often give gifts more frequently than GPs who live nearby as another way to stay connected.  

As for DH and me, we generally, focus on Christmas and bdays. However, we sometimes get them a little something "just b/c" or if we find out they need it and their mom/my YDD is ok w/ our getting it.

2 hours ago, RecLucy said:

Do what works for you....I often do Dollar Store gifties randomly. No on has ever asked "what did you bring me?" I shopped Valentine's Day at Dollar Store....coloring books & crayons/colored pencils for the littles along with "conversation heart" candies for all and puzzle books for the olders

Messaging is an option on iPads. You can have moment to moment conversations or leave a message. You can send pictures too. The kids love it.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Gardenlady1 said:

Messaging is an option on iPads. You can have moment to moment conversations or leave a message. You can send pictures too. The kids love it.

I am looking forward to the day my grandchildren are old enough to communicate that way.  I have been e-maw since they were born with the idea that I am only a text, skype, or e-mail away... right now, mine are only 11 and 7 years old... and I am fortunate enough to live close enough to get to them in 15 minutes.

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, RecLucy said:

I mostly can't even manage that. :(  I have (soon to be ) 13 grandchildren and live on a very fixed income.

But when I can, I send a little trinket that I can enclose with a letter. They are hardly "gifts" - they cost a dollar or two and are small enough that they can ride along on the same stamp as the letter, but it says "I love you".

3 people like this