• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
Mame925

Daily Soundtrack

45 posts in this topic

I listen to a lot of music....rarely commercial radio, I have SirusXM in my car. As well, I listen to Music Choice on cable or play CDs...

Its been a busy day at home today. The CDs were on loud & proud:

1. Clint Black ~ Greatest Hits
  2. Ronnie Dunn ~ Peace, Love & Country Music
  3. Van Morrison ~ Moondance
  4. Lionel Ritchie ~ Tuskegee
  5. Johnny Rodriguez ~ Greatest Hits

My musical tastes are eclectic (everything from Andre Rieu to Zac Brown Band) so the playlist a crapshoot on a daily basis

What's playing at your house?

2 people like this

We both wake to music in our heads so ask each other what their song of the day is. Sometimes its even a jingle from a commercial from childhood or the intro to a show. I will listen to just about anything but have noticed over time that I have difficulty listening to the same songs over and over an  over again. I still listen to the radio, gravitating towards the college stations in hopes of being introduced to something new because after a while listening to classic rock can get on my last nerve. But the song I woke with today was Celine Dion Thats The Way It Is. No idea why. One of my most favorite songs of all time ever is Metallica Enter Sandman. Elevator music never bothered me. Chorus or choir. I adore gospel, Leadbelly, blues and country. Barbershop. Classical even rap. Calypso, Reggae, Ska, Punk and Hardcore. Brass bands. Movie soundtracks from spaghetti westerns to Danny Elfman. Im all over the map. What i dont like is repetition. My husband has a set of cd he burned for himself that work for him. Predominantly classic rock ... which sometimes have moved to tears from sheer boredom. I wear headphones when he is home. We listen to Pandora together at home but its mostly geared towards his taste.

We listen to mostly country though my personal favs that I listen to on long road trips are really "spiritual based songs" for example...Elvis, "How great Thy Art", Carrie Underwood "Jesus Take the Wheel" and I could go on and on.  Anything by the Penatonix

Edited by SueSTx

Light rock is my favorite, but enjoy country, too. DH says "the best music" is from the "late '60s/early '70s." But when he wants to relax, he plays classical.

4 hours ago, RoseRed135 said:

Light rock is my favorite, but enjoy country, too. DH says "the best music" is from the "late '60s/early '70s." But when he wants to relax, he plays classical.

Mine says similar- Clearly, music is a sticking point in our relationship and has always been- :)  I love Nirvana, Metallica, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, They Might Be Giants all of which arrived on the scene after his favorite decades- And he will listen to several of them, too- But to him "the best music" is from the 60's/70's- Which, for me, gives a whole new meaning to the Led Zeppelin song The Song Remains The Same when it's played again, and again and again and again and ... :)

1 person likes this

The song of the day this morning upon waking is Skyfall sung by Adele- Who I adore -- and my son is hysterical to watch and listen to when singing along to Rolling in the Deep LMAO!

I love Adele as well. I forgot to watch the Grammy's, but found Bruno Mars' performances on youtube....stellar as always. 

I play classical at school...it dials the kids down without them being aware. I'm subbing currently, so kdfc.com to listen online all day.

So today, since I had to be home for window measurements, the music is:

1. Phil Vassar "Shaken Not Stirred"
  2. Andrew Lloyd Weber "Gold" (selections from several of his masterpiece musicals)
  3. Ronnie Milsap "Ultimate Hits"
  4. Bruno Mars "Unorthodox JukeBox"
  5. Glenn Miller Orchestra "Best of Glenn Miller"
  6. Dan May "Fate Said Nevermind"

My soundtrack went LIVE tonight. DD & I saw the Oak Ridge Boys. They were stupendous as always. They were DD's first concert as an 8yo. She developed her first celebrity crush that day (both Mark Miller from the band Sawyer Brown and Joe Bonsall, tenor for ORB). Both crushes persist. What I didn't know is that she hadn't seen ORB in nearly 32 years....and was like a kid in a candy store the whole evening. For performers in their late 60's to mid 70's the harmonies were tight and the songs were wonderful.

The special guest of the evening was Gen. Chuck Yeager, USAF, Ret. He joins the Oaks every year for his birthday. He's 94. He sat off to the side of the stage all evening. 70 years ago he broke the sound barrier. Great American hero....

1 person likes this

Watching our children (and theirs) enjoy and form their musical tastes is a beautiful gift to witness and can be so down right hysterical at times when the spirit of the music they are listening to truly moves them- I've a video I took of the two youngest dancing to Cotton Eyed Joe over the holidays that makes me laugh so hard I cry- And it really is something how once a musical crush is developed that it can sometimes last a lifetime, even long after the performer is gone- I think if we communicated through music more often that there would be less problems in the world because we would have a greater understanding of each other- Music is healing- And it's also very revealing, too- The past couple of days I've been in Motown mode-

Edited by Komorebi

DD has my quirky musical tastes, but I think hers are on steroids. She possess that "earworm". Once she's heard a song once or twice she has it forever. The Oaks rose to prominence the year she was born, so knows no life without them.

I'm a walkin' in the rain
Tears are fallin' and I feel a pain
A wishin' you were here by me
To end this misery

And I wonder ...  I wa wa wa wa wonder

why

A why why why why why
She ran away

And I wonder where she will stay
My little runaway
My run run run run runaway

1 person likes this

DH singing Jethro Tull in the shower ..

And he sings like a cantor .. or Benedictine monk ..

Promise me son not to do things I've done, walk away from trouble if you can ..

1 person likes this

My thread, so I'm bringing it to the top! 

On the anniversary of DH death this year (January) a friend sent a little desk sign "Music is how feelings sound"...Spot on of course. In today's soundtrack selections is a song DH & I used to dance around the house to...I immediately burst into tears. Ronnie Dunn "Heart Letting Go"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3xKEVnhsv0

Actually, its probably the last dance we had before he just couldn't do it anymore

Edited by Mame925
added content
2 people like this

On 2/16/2017 at 8:40 AM, Komorebi said:

And it really is something how once a musical crush is developed that it can sometimes last a lifetime, even long after the performer is gone-

So very true....My first musical crush was Rick Nelson...I was six, he was 18. I played his early stuff just yesterday. On a side note, his guitarist, the incomparable James Burton is a friend of a friend. Rick would be 77 now...

This is how he looks in my heart:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsBP5P0Xe2c (James Burton is on Rick's left)

1 person likes this

CMA Fest was great. Best show this summer besides baseball.

My husband has a beautiful voice and sang along with my favorites while we danced round the den. Garth's performance brought the house down "I've got friends in low places" - oh my. Blake was fabulous. Darius Rucker - wonderful.  

2 people like this

Paul McCartney, my first musical crush, I think-  I was around six-  Later, the photographs that were taken of him by Linda, and of their family at the farm taken by others, remain my favorites- Love the image of him holding his daughter inside of his jacket on the cover of the McCartney album -- which I think was also taken on the farm, or somewhere in Scotland-

Blackbird remains one of my favorite songs, ever ..

Edited by Komorebi
1 person likes this

CMA Fest attracts too many people for me to be able to relax and have a good time...I'm a small venue girl whenever possible. 

Paul McCartney, on the other hand is still at charmer at 75...I was in 6th grade when the Beatles hit...I was 11, he was 21...Never got to see the Beatles, but I have seen Sir Paul twice...once at Neil Young's Bridge School Benefit and once solo, the year he turned 64...had a ton of fun with that. What a spectacular entertainer. 

Darius Rucker is on my musical to-do list. I remain a fan of his "Hootie & the Blowfish" days and really like his country stuff. Apparently he was asked to dial down the "country" in his first CD...really? 

1 person likes this

"I watched the CMA fest even though I had no sound and went to sleep before it was over.

I also like Paul McCartney, Neil Young and "Hootie & the Blowfish".  Love Rucker's new song also.  Most of the new country is not country enough for me.

Edited by SueSTx

I'm actually not much of a Neil Young fan...but the Bridge School benefit is a wonderful weekend of top acts he puts together as a fundraiser. The year I went was Paul McCartney & Tony Bennett as the headliners...the show goes from about 10am to midnight both days.

Sue, you are a Texas girl...check out the Jason Roberts Band...it's old school Western Swing.

Thunderstorms and Neon Signs by Wayne Hancock (also from TX)  Hank Williams III also covered it-  I love both versions -- both sound old school country-

Chris Stapleton is old school....I've thoroughly enjoyed him these last couple of years. Also, Kyle Park is a good one as well....Texas boy...he has one tune that makes me feel good all over....the lyrics are lyrics & song titles from 31 George Strait songs....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J_fiwUO6jg

Started off the day with Van Morrison's "Bright Side of the Road"...my sister comes home today after 10 days in Ireland that included a Van concert....she follows him like I follow Alabama...sometimes we merge to share each other's bliss. 

Otherwise, it's a nostalgia trip.

1. Time Peace ~ Rascals
  2. 20 Greatest Hits ~ Johnny Rivers
  3. Moondance ~ Van Morrison
  4. Greatest Hits ~ Glen Campbell
  5. Motown's Greatest ~ Temptations/Smokey/Martha & the Vandellas, etc
  6. Gunfighter Ballads & Trail Songs ~ Marty Robbins