• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
Tobias41

Vegetable Gardening

59 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

23 minutes ago, SueSTx said:

We have had about 3 inches this week.  We are very wet...and loving it.

:clapping::db::yahoo:

Edited by RoseRed135

I'm going to take a gamble and plant seeds outdoors more than a month before the suggested date- Should we get a deep freeze, I'd have to replant but if just frost I'll protect them- Just doing this some areas, not all- Just to see what happens .. ever try this before? If so, what happened?

One spring hubby insisted that since weather was warmer than usual that I needed to get a jump on the season.  I experimented with summer squash, easy peasy to grow right.

LOL...the seed sprouted and came up though it did take longer than usual.  The plants set there and didn't do anything.  The normal planting time rolled around and I planted more squash.  The plants sprang up and started growing as expected.  They quickly passed the early birds which had finally grew a bit by now and the last to plant were the first to produce.

The ground temperature is more important than the afternoon temps IMHO.  Have a go and see what happens. 

1 person likes this

After being too dry, now we are nearly too wet...not a complaint really.

We are going to till the garden today.  Weather man is predicting rain again tomorrow night.  I hope we have a wet spring.

Several years back it warmed up in March and never looked back- Now that was a year I so totally regretted not planting early! I doubt it will do that this year since the weather patterns have been all over the map- We even had snow last weekend -- and who knows, it may even snow again- I've seeds to spare should that happen- I won't be putting the pepper or tomato out that I've started, just seeds- Some of the perennials that needed cold to germinate that were planted last Fall from seed sprouted early due to warm spells then disappeared- 

Wet here too, thankfully .. I did pick up a couple of pansies at the garden center where I purchase bird feed- Thus far, one chipmunk .. and that's it .. other years they were abundant once it began to warm up- We didn't catch a single mouse in the house this past winter either when usually we do catch about half a dozen- 

I have volunteer petunias and marigolds just coming up...who knows.

I LOVE volunteers .. But I've never once had petunia volunteers tho!  In recent years, the white Alyssum has been the most prolific volunteer ..

I quit stirring the dirt in my post until I am ready to plant about Mother's Day afternoon.  If I'm really lucky, there are volunteers in a few pots anyway.

We just started our tomato and pepper plants. Do *not* have the $ to buy any sort of lighting, so we'll see what happens.

1 hour ago, ImpishMom said:

We just started our tomato and pepper plants. Do *not* have the $ to buy any sort of lighting, so we'll see what happens.

A heating pad on low in a sunny window should do the trick

2 hours ago, Mame925 said:

A heating pad on low in a sunny window should do the trick

I don't even know where mine is, haven't seen it since the move. And those suckers aren't cheap, like $45 or so!

The time for me to start seeds came and went with me still procrastinating.  I am going to buy tomato and pepper plants in town today.

2 people like this

9 hours ago, ImpishMom said:

I don't even know where mine is, haven't seen it since the move. And those suckers aren't cheap, like $45 or so!

Then it's plastic wrap over your containers in that same sunny window...this will take a little longer, but it works

32 minutes ago, Mame925 said:

Then it's plastic wrap over your containers in that same sunny window...this will take a little longer, but it works

I'll do that, thanks! Lift the wrap to water, I assume

26 minutes ago, ImpishMom said:

I'll do that, thanks! Lift the wrap to water, I assume

Yes...and poke a few airholes as well...

I planted my vege seed today.  Suppose to get more rain this week, but it is time to get the seed in the ground.

I also bought some marigolds off the clearance rack.  They look pretty bad due to the snow a week ago, but they will grow out of it I'm sure.

2 people like this

On 5/8/2017 at 7:15 PM, SueSTx said:

I planted my vege seed today.  Suppose to get more rain this week, but it is time to get the seed in the ground.

I also bought some marigolds off the clearance rack.  They look pretty bad due to the snow a week ago, but they will grow out of it I'm sure.

They've had really great clearance this year due to weather .. :)

I'm thinking of building one of these ..

7b694f919180c610dd44c11b795d6ba5.jpg

1 person likes this

Nice, you could plant peas or other runners on it in the garden

This year I just started a hydroponic vertical garden and am loving it.  I am not one to enjoy digging around in the dirt in the full heat of summer (in the South!).   I like the ability to grow my own fresh food and know that it is truly organic.  Theres no dirt, no kneeling, its self watering and  I can pick my salads fresh right off my back deck as needed.  I still have a lot to learn about it but am enjoying the process!

Welcome BeWellMichelle.

My son has been experimenting with hydroponics for several years now.  He raises tomatoes and strawberries so far.

The trellis is up-

I've a question that I don't know if falls under the topic this thread or not- Do you have bees/wasps/hornets? We've next to none- I've seen about 5 bees, the type that arrive each Spring and seem to hunt about the stone on the house either for a home or food then leave- Have seen about the same number of carpenter bees- No honey bees, no sweat bees or even other insects visiting the flowering plants- Not in the yard, we've not even seen them on the nature walks we've taken-

Topic---vegetable garden---yep, I think you are in the right place.  Post a pic when something if growing on the trellis.

We live right smack dap in the middle of farming country and the crop dusters are out and about already.

We do still have bumble bees mostly and I have noticed in the past that my squash don't set much fruit until the bees appear.  I spray/treat squash bugs if they get bad, but I also plant marigolds that seem to help.  Tip:  WD40 helps with the pain of a bee sting.

I am allergic to wasp, so those have to go when I find a nest.

I'm Mary, Mary quite contraire lately .. the weather has been more like Autumn and is forecast to remain that way for the rest of the week- Without warmth, stuff just doesn't want to grow .. -- the mower quit, the swing broke when I was sitting in it .. before I knew it I was laying on my back looking up at the sky .. like an astronaut-ess .. meh ...pitybanner.jpg

but had a good laugh while staring up at the sky, I'll admit .. :)