• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
Tobias41

Picnic Recipies?

9 posts in this topic

So my family is pretty much an outdoors family and we are always on the go on the weekend.  Usually Kayaking, biking, etc... We always out all day, normal somewhere pretty remote. I always struggle with making something packable - especially side dishes... So I was hoping to collect some new recipies/idea's for our picnics.  Anything that can be small is great for a bike ride, as we have to tote it along, kayaking or when we ride ATV's I have alot more room. Someplaces even access to a grill - so any ideas you might have would be excellent, I am getting tired of toting chips... :)

When we were children, mother sometimes had 8 to 10 kids along.  We ate a lot of Mac/cheese, tuna sandwiches and PB&J.  But of course, we also had an ice chest.

Anything with mayo, I will only do when we have the Ice Chest, the bike rides are the hardest as no ice chest, and usually we are all starving.  We do granola bars, and PBJ alot on those trips, but I would love to change it up a little. :)

We live in cattle country...jerky is a big choice for us.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Crusty bread, hard cheeses that don't need refrigeration, cured meats, beans, sun-dried tomato, dehydrated fruit, snapea crisps or similar- All of these can be eaten as snacks or just thrown into wraps ahead of time with spring greens- Weight wise they don't bog down your pack, they provide energy- Pre-packaged Justin's nut butters for something sweet-

Edited by Komorebi
1 person likes this

Pre-packaged cotton candy .. :)

1 person likes this

Cold pizza .. popcorn (flavored or plain)

1 person likes this

Whole baked sweet potatoes. Grandma  frequently gave us kids cold sweet potatoes that she had baked a day or two previous when we wanted a snack. Peel and eat no mess.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

LOL! I sometimes brought Lunchables  or similar pre-packaged foods for my kids when we did picnics. Easy, convenient and they enjoyed it - that was my thinking at the time. But though I also brought fruit, etc., YDD thinks it was "too unhealthy." She would never do the same w/ her kids. :) 

Edited by RoseRed135
2 people like this