• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Do you believe in natural medicine?

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

DH is very into using "natural"/herbal medicines rather than more conventional pills for anything from. for example, a sore throat to high cholesterol. He finds them very effective, but I know other people who see them as "placebos."

How about you? Do you ever take any herbal meds? And how effective do you think they are?

Edited by RoseRed135
title

Posted (edited)

I do think there are many "home remedies" for minor aliments and yes, I have used them.

Our pediatrician nearly 40 years ago would ask if we had called 'granny' yet and asked for her advice.  Had we gargled with salt water?  If there was a nose bleed, had we swabbed the nose with honey (yes, it really works)?

A local vet asked about a ringworm I had on my arm, he said to mix one part bleach with five parts water and swab it a time or two every day until it disappeared...yes, that works too.  I used his method again last week.  He has also sent me to the MD's office before.  I walked in and said doc Irvin sent me for a tetanus shot and was given one without seeing another doctor.

Mother would use vinegar for fungus issues, toe nails, athlete's foot and yes female issues after swimming in the river...that works also.  Take a nice vinegar soak for muscle aches and pains.

My MGM was a firm believer that bleach in the bath water would prevent poison ivy...yep, that works also.  If it is too late and you already have a rash, make a foam with LAVA soap and smear it on several times a day, that will dry the blisters and it will clear up.  This advice comes from a uncle that was a scout leader for those working on their Eagle scout badge.

DS doctor told him if he refused to take meds for his high cholesterol, to take fish oil instead...his cholesterol is down.  He is also a firm believer in using a nettie pot to prevent sinus infections.  His are horrible.

BUT, I also believe that if you resort to going for medical advice that you share all the home remedies you have tried and that have failed.  My personal MD advised that I use 'bag balm' for a skin condition...it stinks, but it works.

Edited by SueSTx
1 person likes this

Vinegar and honey for burns- Tea bags on eyes for conjunctivitis/pink eye- Beans for reducing cholesterol -- google Karen Hurd- It works- She explains why and how much to eat and when- Brought mine down by 25 over a 6 week period- Pacific caught sardines for brain fog -- also anchovie- Lemon for dry elbows, callous and lightening pigment- Salt, sugar, baking soda for exfoliating- Sea salt and seaweed for drawing infection from the skin- Lord knows how much knowledge has been lost in the area of natural remedies- Tomato cleans copper ..

For all that I spent 40 years working in medicine, I'm not a fan of Big Pharma....Bleach or vinegar soak for athlete's foot (DS was afflicted), the neti pot for colds/flu/sinus issues, warm salt water gargle, 50/50 water/peroxide mouth rinse, fels soap for poison oak along with a bleach soak. Antibiotics should be used sparingly, especially since they don't affect viral infections and can reduce natural immunities. Beans/greens for cholesterol/blood sugar issues. Reduce simple carbs & get more exercise for weight control. So many conditions will disappear on their own with natural treatments. 

Watched another fascinating doc last night and liked it so much I watched it again today- (on Amazon Prime) It's called The Gut: Our Second Brain-  Here's a portion of a small blurb about it:

"For a few years now, scientists have known about the existence of another brain within our bodies – billions of connected neurons, molecules (neurotransmitters) that transmit orders and induce independent reactions. This second brain, or "brain down below," is none other than our stomach.

It can function totally independently and carries out far more than just digestion. It reigns over a spectacular colony of one hundred thousand billion bacteria (our gut flora) whose activity is thought to have an impact on our personalities and decisions, and our shyness or temerity."

I love to learn about such things.. much of it I found so captivating but especially how one doctor in China discovered a new approach to acupuncture ..

27 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

Watched another fascinating doc last night and liked it so much I watched it again today- (on Amazon Prime) It's called The Gut: Our Second Brain-  Here's a portion of a small blurb about it:

"For a few years now, scientists have known about the existence of another brain within our bodies – billions of connected neurons, molecules (neurotransmitters) that transmit orders and induce independent reactions. This second brain, or "brain down below," is none other than our stomach.

It can function totally independently and carries out far more than just digestion. It reigns over a spectacular colony of one hundred thousand billion bacteria (our gut flora) whose activity is thought to have an impact on our personalities and decisions, and our shyness or temerity."

So maybe the common advice to "trust your gut" is more meaningful than many of us even thought? (Serious comment, not joking)

2 hours ago, RoseRed135 said:

So maybe the common advice to "trust your gut" is more meaningful than many of us even thought? (Serious comment, not joking)

Seriously, I think I can trust when my gut is telling me "something" is up- But I also think it its wise not to jump to any conclusions regarding what its trying to tell me- Things have a way of coming to the surface eventually- 

1 person likes this