• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
RoseRed135

Your New GP experience - How is/was/will it be different than that of your parents or in-laws?

2 posts in this topic

When I first knew I was becoming a GP, I was determined to be different than my DM and MIL were in this way - .I was adamant that I was not going  to try to interfere in how my DD raised or took care of her kids or give unwanted advice, etc. But, at first, I admit, I found myself doing just that b/c many childcare practices had changed w/o my being aware of it. We even had a couple of arguments, and, sometimes, YDD/the mom and I found ourselves looking at each other like we both had 2 heads. But then she showed me some of the new information, and  I realized that she knew more about babycare now than I did, so I backed off. And this site helped me to see what things were my concern and what weren't.  As such, in this respect, I was able to be different than my kids' GMs were, after all. And, except for those first couple of arguments, my experience of being a new GP went more smoothly than theirs.

How about you? How is/was your new GP experience different from that of your kids' GPs, if at all? Or, if you're not a GP yet, how do you think your experience will be different?

Edited by RoseRed135

Both sets of GP for my kids were well into the "acceptable" range, bordering on wonderful. For all my mom's irky-quirky-ness, she loved babies & young children and they always loved her back. My kids were not pawns in a game, so her GM experience was whatever she wanted to make it. She was helpful early on. My sister didn't have the same flexibility with her. My mom wanted sons, she got daughters (this actually was the root of many of my issues with her). When my nephew was born my mom was nearly unhinged. And tried to push my sister into a secondary role with her own child. It was a constant battle to retain authority. 

My experience has been wonderful. I've been invited to be up close & personal. I'm able to create individual relationships with each GK. I never go behind parents' backs. I babysit when I can, not every time I'm asked, because I have a life. I don't allow guilt trips and my kids all know that "no" is a complete sentence. Sometimes its as easy as putting on a movie and making popcorn.

Edited by Mame925