• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

S/O of "Staying Connected Long Distance...?": Skyping/Facetime - Has either worked for you?

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Some long distance families swear by Skyping or FT (FaceTime). They love the instant connection it gives them across the miles. Also, if there are GC (grandchildren), many GPs enjoy the opportunity to see & talk to them, even if it's only for a few minutes. They revel in the fact that this technology helps them keep up a relationship w/ their grands between visits, so that they're not "strangers" when they meet in person. Being able to see each other from a distance is a real joy to some families!

But other people find there are drawbacks. Scheduling this kind of contact may be difficult for them due to time differences. Also, some GPs complain that the GC don't participate "enough," especially if they are little and have, no surprise, a short attention span. And sometimes the parents are less than satisfied w/ it, finding it "intrusive" or "disruptive." In that case, they may limit the amount of skyping or FT they are willing to do, which some GPs find very frustrating. Then again, some people just aren't "into" this kind of technology.

What's your experience? Have you ever tried skyping or doing FT w/ your LD relatives/ILs, if any? Does/did it work for you and yours?

Edited by RoseRed135
1 person likes this

We have used FT a couple of times. We liked it. The children got silly on  the other end. Almost like reality TV. The littlest one really enjoyed it and just wanted to talk. We were using messaging too, but way too much was being read into what we were saying.  We don't do messaging any longer.

My granddaughters don't even want to talk on the phone.  They want we to come and play with them.

@Gardenlady1- Welcome! Glad to have you aboard!

How delightful that you and your GC have so much fun using FT!  :) 

It's too bad that the "messaging" didn't work out. I'm tempted to ask if you mean emails, texts or FB messages, but I guess it doesn't matter. So often, people misinterpret the written word, especially, IMO (in my opinion), b/c we can't see the other person's facial expressions or hear intonation. I can see where it would be easy for one person to "read into" the other person's messages, etc. IMO, it was very wise to stop messaging and just enjoy FT.

The "literal-ness" of messaging isn't for everyone. I used SKYPE when DS' family lived away...the older GS has no use for a phone, but will use skype to show me what's new in his world with full narration, the GG showed off her latest tumbling routines, I got to see the baby crawl (into his sister's room!) along with the dog in the back ground supervising all.

2 people like this

Language issues mean that while we have tried Facetime (or Facebook live, or whatever) a few times, it hasn't worked all that well for us.  I need Google Translate to say anything intelligent and it simply isn't much help with understanding what the children are saying.

However they are learning English so maybe one day. :)

4 hours ago, GrandmaMisti said:

Language issues mean that while we have tried Facetime (or Facebook live, or whatever) a few times, it hasn't worked all that well for us.  I need Google Translate to say anything intelligent and it simply isn't much help with understanding what the children are saying.

However they are learning English so maybe one day. :)

So your GC live in other countries then, where another language/other languages are spoken? That does make it harder! It's awesome that you've been able to stay in touch w/ them as much as you can through cards and gifts!

3 hours ago, RoseRed135 said:

So your GC live in other countries then, where another language/other languages are spoken? That does make it harder! It's awesome that you've been able to stay in touch w/ them as much as you can through cards and gifts!

I live in Australia.  Half of my grandhildren live in Sweden and half in anther state of Australia.  The Aussies are all still little (6 under 6) but I have high hopes for "some day". :)

Staying in touch got easier once Google bought its translator programs. :D

Thanks for answering my question, Misti! Glad to hear the translator programs have helped!

7 hours ago, GrandmaMisti said:

Staying in touch got easier once Google bought its translator programs.

Have you considered Rosetta Stone or other language program? I took German in college, loved it but didn't keep it up....however, next year I may be going there, so Rosetta Stone is on my wish list. 

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Mame925 said:

Have you considered Rosetta Stone or other language program? 

I one lived there and am quite fluent in the language required to parent very small children.  That was enough until the oldest GC became around school age, when it began to give the impression that perhaps Grandma is addled - or thinks they are. :P

Then I used both Rosetta Stone and Duo Lingo (like RS, but free online) to try to "up my game".  Both are intended to give one a foot up in immersion language learning.  Sadly, my "immersion" listen days every 3-5 years. It has worked in that by the time I leave, I understand them and they understand me, but it's not enough to develop one's "voice" in the language with no other practice.

When I wrote letters from my own knowledge, I was limited to discussing horses under airplanes, bread, milk and coffee, and other useful but very, very unhelpful things. :P It's much more efficient to write what I want to say in English and get it translated.  I speak enough to say "No, that's not right" when a phrase doesn't translate and to change my phrase in English until it works in translation.  (Example: the English word "kiss" has a couple of translations in my target language - one a passionate, poetic one for lovers and the other the more appropriate grandmotherly peck on the cheek. I learned about that one by trusting Google for 'new vocabulary'. :D The AC were highly amused.  The GC were just confused.)

I suggest that you try Duo Lingo before your trip. :) https://www.duolingo.com/  And have fun in Germany!!

Edited by GrandmaMisti

1 hour ago, GrandmaMisti said:

I suggest that you try Duo Lingo before your trip. :) https://www.duolingo.com/ 

I shall, thanks