• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
RoseRed135

What do/did you like most about your mother? (Question of the Month, May 2017)

12 posts in this topic

In vies of the coming Mother's Day - what do/did you like most about your own mother? Least?

Edited by RoseRed135

My sister & I just finished clearing out the last of our mom's personal effects Saturday....not the day to ask that question! However, the house was clean (although she was a clutter maven), a better than average cook and she made our clothes...she was also very good with managing the family budget...

She wasn't good with people unless it was strictly on her terms, not supportive of things she didn't understand (and for a smart woman, there was a huge amount she didn't seem to understand) and had no trouble telling you why she decided you were just wrong. 

My mother is 89 years old and her memory isn't what it used to be.  She still calls several times a month and asks about the weather and how is my family.

She has never gossiped about any of the siblings to the others and we love her for that.  She also never gives advice or is nosy.

All my BILs think she is the perfect MIL...while SILs weren't big fans.

1 person likes this

Mine is 97- She makes me laugh and breaks my heart both at the same time, she taught me a lot about life, things I never thought I'd never even venture to believe -- or see- Or understand- When I think of her I get emotional inside and tear up- She's always been an introvert who could mingle but preferred the solitude of her own space and freedom to do her own thing- I love her-   

Interesting posts, people!

What I liked most about my own mom was the fact that she had a very big heart and was always ready to help somebody out if she could. Also, she was easy to talk to when we were growing up and kept the lines of communication open, even during our teen years, What I disliked was that she couldn't seem to back off/let go as we got older and tried to remain "in charge" of our lives.

2 people like this

As a child, I was in total awe of my mother. I thought she was the most beautiful person I had ever seen. She was a great hostess and always knew how to take care of company.  She did have her rules and we didn't dare to go outside of them--bedtime at nine on school nights, eating all your vegetables, never going "off the block" to play.

Mom was the world's best MIL. She treated my SIL with respect, taught her how to make any of her specialty dishes that she liked, and was respectful to DIL's parents and family as well. She stepped up and spent more than our share on my DB's wedding because she knew her DILs family wouldn't be able to do so. She found a good job for DIL through her contacts made waiting tables at a fancy restaurant.  I try to be as kind and respectful to my DIL as she was to hers. She never pried, even when DB's marriage was on the rocks. She took in my niece while the parents were going through the rough spots with total love and care. Once I was visiting home from college and my niece was nagging Mom about something. She stopped the conversation, listened gave DN what she needed and kept on talking. I was amazed at her patience and asked her how she did it. She looked at me as if I had asked her the most ridiculous question ever and said, "Well, I love her." 

Looking back, I see one of her greatest skills was frugality, without anyone ever feeling the pinch. She bought food in proportion to what we needed, always with nutrition in mind. I can't remember seeing even a bite of food going to waste in our house. She shopped the sales so we could have nice clothes on Christmas and Easter. We had our "Sunday shoes", which I longed to wear or try on, but never dared to hardly open the box during the week! She added to the family income by working as a waitress, and many a time that "tip jar" was the source of our lunch money, field trip expenses, and an occasional ice cream.

I loved, loved, loved back to school shopping with her! She was rarely indulgent, but that was one shopping trip where she trusted me to make the choices. I liked practical stuff, and she allowed me to get sturdy, cloth covered ring binders (remember those?), the pencils I liked, a good eraser, and special small notebook.   

Mom didn't believe in going to restaurants, "I can make it better myself for half the money", but after our back to school shopping trip, we would sit at the  Woolworth's lunch bar and share a club sandwich. I didn't know what club exactly we were part of, but I liked it! And what I wouldn't give to sit there and have that sandwich with her one more time!  

God bless you mom, and may you rest in peace and eternal goodness.

4 people like this

4 hours ago, grandmafromafar said:

I didn't know what club exactly we were part of, but I liked it!

Love this

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, grandmafromafar said:

she allowed me to get sturdy, cloth covered ring binders (remember those?

Yes!

13 hours ago, grandmafromafar said:

we would sit at the  Woolworth's lunch bar and share a club sandwich.

Grilled cheese and a coke!

Awesome memories- :)

Really enjoying these!

Anyone else want to weigh in about their mom (or perhaps another "mother figure" in your life)?

My mom taught me unconditional love and about being a Christian.

This is a very tough question for me as my relationship with my mother is one of the hardest in my life.

As a mother myself, I appreciate all she sacrificed and did for me when I was a child.  

I have fond memories of her tickling my back at night to put me to bed.  And I would lay on her lap watching tv at night whenever I could to get more. :) She also used to play the piano and sing--which I am sure helped instill my lifetime love of music. 

Unfortunately, those early loving memories were never replaced with an authentic relationship as I became an adult and she aged.   She unfortunately became an alcoholic by the time I was 13 and managed to live for nearly 40 more years and was never able to beat it.

What lovely memories, @grandtoGREAT! How unfortunate that alcoholism took over and those fond memories didn't extend into a good relationship down the road. (((Hugs!)))