• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
SueSTx

New EX IL rant

9 posts in this topic

Our usual rants are about our current ILs, but I know there are some of you who not only still have contact with an EX IL, but some have a type of working relationship.

A new member asked a question in another forum and I think it would be better served if I move it here.  Maybe someone can lend her an ear and help her out.

Aumoni    0

•  
  • Aumoni
  • New Members
  • 1 post

·

Posted 1 hour ago (edited) · Hidden · Report post

Last night I received a text message from my ExDIL stating that my son (her Ex) had contacted her present husband via Face Book.  She stated that my son then blocked her husband so that her husband could not respond.  My ExDIL has been married to her present husband for 6 years. When I asked my son if he had contacted them, he said no he had not. His Ex stated that someone told my son that she said he doesn't acknowledge the daughter they had together. She said that she had stated that because it was true and that she thought the truth upset him.  He pays child support, but to my knowledge has had no other contact with her family.  I do not want to be involved with her problem, but how do I stay neutral?  Does she expect me to deliver a message stating I'm on "her side"? Should I just stay silent and act like I never saw the message? The last thing I want is to put my relationship with my granddaughter in jeapordy! Help!!  What do I do?

Edited 3 minutes ago by SueSTx
new member does not have enough post to open a new thread

Welcome Aumoni.  I am so sorry you are caught in the middle of this drama.  Hopefully someone has a suggestion for you.

We encourage new members to read this helpful information

Also I sent you a PM (private message) you can find it by clicking on the envelop icon in the upper right hand corner of this page.

Again Welcome!

Posted (edited)

Oh, Aumoni, I'm so sorry ExDIL pulled you into the middle of this situation! What a dilemma for you! Do you commiserate w/ her? defend him? or ask her to leave you out of it?

Ordinarily, I'd advise you to take the 3rd option, But I understand your concern about jeopardizing your relationship w/ your GD (granddaughter).

Perhaps it's best to just make some "sympathetic noises" w/o siding w/ either DS or ExDIL, if possible. For example, maybe you can let her know that you're sorry that DS isn't more involved w/ GD. w/o blaming either one. Then say how much you enjoy GD - and go off into a conversation about her. Or just change the subject completely.

In general, "Wow" or "Oh dear!" or "Really?" are always good non-committal replies, IMO.

But that's off the top of my head. Other posters may have some better ideas.

Welcome!

Edited by RoseRed135
3 people like this

I would just state the facts.  I don't know anything about facebook.  Son never mentioned anything about granddaughter.   You know how much I love her and value the relationship.  This way you acknowledge her text and tell the truth at the same time.  You don't know anything, you stay neutral, and reinforce your love for your granddaughter.  She can take "the relationship" to mean her, granddaughter or both.  Just a neutral response.  Nothing for her to get mad at.  And even if you son did FB her husband, what does she expect you to do about that.  Become a flying monkey?  

3 people like this

I'd think about what xDIL may want to stir up by her text, if you're not text buddies and this is random stupid.

Regardless, I wouldn't be drawn into a non-participant fuss about our DS and I'd text back something simple like "Thanks".

2 people like this

"I really have no knowledge about my sons personal matters, and would prefer to keep it that way, as he is an adult who makes his own choices. If GC needs anything that I can be helpful with let me know, otherwise I'm sure you will figure it out. Take care." 

I would stay very far away from that one, and no don't side against your son when you dont have the full picture.

2 people like this

This is called triangulating drama and using you as a messenger,you are not as another poster stated a flying monkey.  Next time best to not participate and recuse yourself immediately from the conversation with neutral response. In regards to her gossip about your son best to say you don't know anything about it and not discuss it with your son as it becomes part of a cycle of drama. You want to keep out of it. 

@Aumoni - Haven't heard from you in a while. What did you decide and how did it work out? Have there been any further problems of this nature since then? I hope not.