• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
Tobias41

Garden Veggie Recipies

15 posts in this topic

What do you make from your spring garden? I live in the South so I will have broccoli, onions, peas, and potatos soon.  And I already have a radishes... tons of them.  So normally I make creamed peas and potatos, and soon I will make broccoli raisin salad as my red onions will be ready.  But I am stumped on the radishes?  I either eat the raw or on a salad, but I feel like there should be some other use for them. I have hear people roast them or pickle them but I have never tried this, does anyone have experience with these?

You are so lucky to have fresh veges so early.  We had snow on Sunday and other than onions, all my seed are still in the package.  I'm waiting until the ground temp rises to 70* to plant.  Once that happens, we will warm up quickly and the garden will take off.  It is usually July 4th before we pick a single thing.

I'm not a radish fan, so I don't plant those.  All I do plant are cantaloupe, watermelon, okra, tomatoes, peppers both sweet and jalapeno, summer squash and cucumbers.  Those seem to work best with our likes and season.

1 person likes this

I like to take the baby summer squash (no more than 2-3 inches long) poke it with a fork then saute in a bit of olive oil & garlic...

1 person likes this

I like radish, beets and onion- My son eats radish kimchi-

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I am just waiting for the beets to be big enough to pickle, can't wait. :)

Edited by Tobias41
1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Tobias41 said:

I am just waiting for the beets to be big enough to pickle, can't wait. :)

Home canned pickled beets are one of life's little treasures. DD used to take them to college with her...and threaten her room mates if they touched them.

2 people like this

Anyone have a good pickled beets recipe? I'm planting beets this year, and have never done them.

On 5/8/2017 at 11:18 AM, Mame925 said:

Home canned pickled beets are one of life's little treasures. DD used to take them to college with her...and threaten her room mates if they touched them.

Me too, touch my beets or my homemade bread and butter pickles and there is going to be an issue!

@ImpishMom Unfortunately my pickled beet recipie there aren't really measurements, as that is how my Mom did it.  I would say my Brine, roughly, is 2 1/2 cup white vinegar, a cup of sugar, and a cup of water.  Thats probably enough for 4 to 5 pints of beets... if I am packing the jars full, and I just make more brine if I am doing quarts.  

I do what my Mom called "hot canning" I don't know if thats the technical term - so I boil my beets, skin them hot and chop them (its a mess, line the counters with wax paper or something :)). At the same time I boil my brine and my jars and lids, then I put hot beets into a hot jar, and then fill with brine till about 1/4" from the top. You can add pickling spice if you want or cinnamon, or pickle onions with them but I am a purist. Then I put on the seal and lids, and let them set on the counter.  

Sometimes I will have a few that don't seal so I just pop them in the fridge and eat them first, after about a day of pickling they are pretty good.  IF you make a spring green salad, add some of the beets, and a fresh goat cheese with a lemon poppyseed dressing I am in heaven!! or eat them right out of the jar... Yum!!

1 person likes this

We make pickled beets in the refrigerator. Cook, peel, and chop the beets. Place the beets in plastic containers. Boil pickling liquid made 2:1 white vinegar and sugar, add 1Tablespoon pickling spice per pound of beets. Pour hot liquid over the beets. Refrigerate a few days before eating.

1 person likes this

Since our bodies started giving out on us, we have reduced the size of our garden by more than half.  Beets are only one of the things we quit planting.  Our local chain grocery has a store brand of pickled beets that taste homemade.  I have taken them to pot lucks in a pretty dish and the other 'country' ladies commented on my home grown beet pickles.  That is one job/mess I didn't mind giving up. 

1 person likes this

I LOVE broccoli rabe- But even regular broccoli, or broccolini, can be prepared in a similar way, it just doesn't need to be cooked as long- I make it the way my grandmother did- My grandfather made the most amazing pickled mushrooms which he picked himself- He also would gather cress on his travels which GM used in soups and he also picked cardoon which GM would bread and gently fry till tender .. uh .. so good -- but them mushrooms! I had gotten in trouble more than once for opening his mason jars and eating more than my fair share of them!

Posted (edited)

On 5/4/2017 at 4:55 AM, Tobias41 said:

What do you make from your spring garden?

We have tons of grape tomatoes and greens currently, enough we're sharing with anybody who will take our extra. My husband makes great pasta. We love halved tomatoes, arugula, hot strozzapreti, melty fontina. Perfect.

ETA: I should have said these are the early tomatoes grown inside a big sunny-window shop, out on the back of our property. Our outdoor tomatoes have set a few fruit, and there are lots of blooms - some from when we bought/planted.

Our greens are outside, planted from sets.

Edited by JanelleK
2 people like this

I have tomatoes blooming

3 people like this

Breakfast experiment, cheap, easy, and gobbled gone by a crowd of kiddies

I baked a 10 lb bag thin-skin potatoes last night for supper (mostly because they're free fillers @ 10 lbs for 99 cents). I put one of those cheap pieces of boneless pork (salt, pepper and a chopped onion) in the crock pot to slow cook over night. This morning I chopped the potatoes leftover from dinner, pulled the pork, and dumped it all in a huge skillet (potatoes on bottom), threw on garden tomato salsa, covered, walked away for 20 minutes (vegans: their black beans replace meat). Done, crispy on the bottom, healthy-yummy.

2 people like this

I have always loved Italian potato salad .. potato, tomato, onion .. olive oil and vinegar .. salt and pepper to taste .. of course there are infinite variations but this basic one is my personal favorite ..