• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Trump, Comey, etc...

186 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Note from RoseRed: This thread was formerly entitled "Rock & Hard Place." However, I have changed my title due to the way it has evolved.

Looks like former FBI director James Comey had critics on both sides of the political aisle, but there's some disagreement on why he was fired:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/09/politics/james-comey-fbi-trump-white-out/

Thoughts?

Edited by RoseRed135
title change

Posted (edited)

So far, Trump has fired 3 ppl, who were *all* involved in investigating his ties with Russia. Coincidence?

Edited by ImpishMom
1 person likes this

This is all beginning to play out like a really bad political farse.

1 person likes this

I come from a long line of conservatives and I am extremely upset about this whole thing,  I think the president's (BOTH sides) have been abusing their office,making decisions that are unconstitutional,  to push their agendas, bypassing congress, and it's getting worse and worse.      The  FBI or CIA aren't political- and it's a conflict of interest to be able to interfere in their jobs.  It just comes across as obstruction of justice.  I think we should add another "branch" besides executive, legislative, judicial, so that the FBI can't be manipulated by the politicians to protect their interests.

3 people like this

I suspect the next several presidents will have, "Well, not as bad as Trump..." as the litmus test.

or 'not as bad as Obama, bush, Clinton, etc.'  It's all subjective.  What I find funny about Comey's firing is that so many democrats are up in arms when some of the same democrats called for him to be fired in the fall after he reopened then closed the Clinton investigation.  Most presidents chose to replace people appointed by a previous president.  It's just the norm.

4 people like this

On 2017-05-12 at 0:49 PM, Mdgrandma said:

or 'not as bad as Obama, bush, Clinton, etc.'  It's all subjective.  What I find funny about Comey's firing is that so many democrats are up in arms when some of the same democrats called for him to be fired in the fall after he reopened then closed the Clinton investigation.  Most presidents chose to replace people appointed by a previous president.  It's just the norm.

I *suspect* that the damage that is being done to health care, the environment, to international relations, will have an impact for years to come.

45 is certainly leaving his mark.

And it's the interference with an open investigation that ppl I know are flipping out about, not simply a 'replacing someone from the previous admin'.

45 has fired *three* people involved in investigating his ties with Russia.

That there ARE ties with Russia should be enough, imo. It's now an accepted fact (and not 'alternative fact') that Russian was involved in the US election.

I find the fact that ppl aren't flipping out over that, en masse, to be alarming.

I suspect that if Clinton had won, and the same Russian interference was discovered, it would be a whole different ballgame.

I don't mind. Bring up Bill Clinton. Both presidents did obstruct/are obstructing justice.

Here's the difference: one was about screwing an intern and tried to cover it up. Our current president was elected with help from our country's political adversary, and continues to imperil our country with zero remorse. And most of our Republicans are helping him along.

1 person likes this

I think all president have done thier fair share of "walking the line" and having questionable tactics.    And I don't know what the actual truth is, as I think there is just too much opinion...

That being said... its my opinion, that not only has Trump and his administration made alot of mistakes, but their attempts to cover it up are just laughable.  To me there are just too many "coincidences" with Trump and his administration, their questionable actions and their attempts to cover it up.  

Oh and I just have to say that through all of this, if a TV station puts KellyAnn Conway on the TV one more time I swear I will boycott that station - the woman drives me bonkers....

1 person likes this

I thought she was purposely kept off the news because of her defense of "alternative facts."

I think it's interesting so many people voted for Trump and he's making decisions that run counter to their best interests. I wonder what they think now. Or if they even think about much of anything.

1 person likes this

^^^ In other words...If voters were thinkers they would have voter differently?

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, oscarsmaman said:

I thought she was purposely kept off the news because of her defense of "alternative facts."

I think it's interesting so many people voted for Trump and he's making decisions that run counter to their best interests. I wonder what they think now. Or if they even think about much of anything.

I think that those voters don't care if their interests are being hurt because 45 is "sticking it" to the liberals, "snowflakes," Mexicans, Muslims, LGBT and all those others they hate and fear. They like seeing a big blustery bully like Trump make the liberals cry. And the more their hero is attacked by the "fake news" the more protective they get of 45 - to the point where I'm absolutely certain that 45 could commit some truly heinous crime that would turn your stomach in the middle of Times Square and those people would not only defend him but find a way to cheer him on. 

Edited by britomart
1 person likes this

This came across an FB post today: Bambooziality - The act of allowing oneself to be fooled or cheated when one should know better.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, SueSTx said:

I hope that this isn't implying something about a certain group of people ;) 

Posted (edited)

I also hope it isn't implying something...that would be a BNG.

Guideline 5

- b. slurs against any group of people, including racist, sexist, homophobic, ageist, religious, political, ethnic, sexual or other epithets (such as those against people with disabilities)

"It is not against any GP rule to mention God, Allah, Buddha, Krishna, Manitou , or any deities in their posts as long as it's not putting down that religion or any other religion and as long as it's a positive message. Users can accept it or not, as with any statement on any topic covered in a forum."

Blanket generalizations are also discouraged.

We may edit/delete negative generalizations. And often, no doubt, we will. Depending on context, etc. however, sometimes a mod may choose to deal with such a generalization by post and/or PM. Meanwhile, other generalizations that appear to be problematic will, most likely, be handled by post and/or PM.

I was simply trying to get Oscar to explain what she meant in her post...see the question mark at the end?

I hope I can consider this as to be handled in a post.

ETA:  Even when we are discussing current events, we have to be carefully with the wording to be sure we aren't generalizing about any group.

Edited by SueSTx
2 people like this

8 hours ago, SueSTx said:

No, the "in other words" translation is making a blanket generalization. I am specifically talking about voters who voted for Trump, and I am wondering what Trump voters are finding so great about what he's doing when it will actually impact many of them and/or their family, friends, acquaintances and even businesses, so negatively. Or whether they just don't really think about it, maybe many were caught up in the excitement of his charisma.

I'm wondering why it's a good thing to encourage childhood obesity through unhealthy school lunches.

Why is it a great thing to make healthcare even more difficult to obtain.

Why is it so great that he's in bed with Russia.

Why is it so wonderful that he won't release his tax returns.

Why is it so fabulous he's demonizing the media, which promotes and exercises our first amendment and our right to know.

Why is it so great that he's dismantling supports for those with disabilities by withholding funding.

Why do we have to pay so much for those infernal golf trips?

Why did he choose demonstrated racists for several Cabinet positions?

Why is there no outcry when he's caught in so many lies and back-tracks.

Why would he crow about repealing environmental regulations that keep a healthier environment in which to raise future generations, and they defend him for it.

What is so great about a man who was roundly endorsed by the Klu Klux Klan.

I'm not making generalizations, I'm searching for answers as to what is so enchanting about giving Donald Trump another 4 years when the first 110 days have been so tumultuous and forboding to and for so many, and I'm wondering how many, if any, voters are regretting their vote for Trump.

If anyone has any positive insights on how great Trump actually is, or optimism about what positive things he'll accomplish, I'd welcome any bright spot provided.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

28 minutes ago, oscarsmaman said:

No, the "in other words" translation is making a blanket generalization. I am specifically talking about voters who voted for Trump, and I am wondering what Trump voters are finding so great about what he's doing when it will actually impact many of them and/or their family, friends, acquaintances and even businesses, so negatively. Or whether they just don't really think about it, maybe many were caught up in the excitement of his charisma.

I'm wondering why it's a good thing to encourage childhood obesity through unhealthy school lunches.

Why is it so fabulous he's demonizing the media, which promotes and exercises our first amendment and our right to know.

Why is it so great that he's dismantling supports for those with disabilities by withholding funding.

Why would he crow about repealing environmental regulations that keep a healthier environment in which to raise future generations, and they defend him for it.

I'm not making generalizations, I'm searching for answers as to what is so enchanting about giving Donald Trump another 4 years when the first 110 days have been so tumultuous and forboding to and for so many, and I'm wondering how many, if any, voters are regretting their vote for Trump.

If anyone has any positive insights on how great Trump actually is, or optimism about what positive things he'll accomplish, I'd welcome any bright spot provided.

But you're still painting w/ a very broad brush, Oscar. To my understanding, not every Trump supporter agrees w/ everything he and/or the Republican Congresspeople have done. I live in a very "blue" area, but those "red" comments that, say, come across my FB page are focusing on the jobs issue, if that sheds any light.

Edited by RoseRed135

I read the news feeds both for and against Trump, and I take them all with a grain of salt.  I don't trust the media anymore.  Who knows what to actually believe?

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, RoseRed135 said:

But you're still painting w/ a very broad brush, Oscar. To my understanding, not every Trump supporter agrees w/ everything he and/or the Republican Congresspeople have done. I live in a very "blue" area, but those "red" comments that, say, come across my FB page are focusing on the jobs issue, if that sheds any light.

This is interesting to me.  Do those "red" commenters also express any disappointment, anger or slight unhappiness with those things that Oscars has listed? I am asking because although I also live in a very blue state I do see likes, posts and comments from "red" folks on my FB feed.  And I have to say that not one of them has expressed even the tiniest bit of unhappiness with any of those things Oscars listed.  If anything they've been incredibly supportive of everything 45 has done and rushed to his defense at any slight criticism.  And I've also seen an awful lot of glee from them about how they are enjoying seeing "snowflakes" and "pejorative term for liberals" cry.  And these are folks who I know will be hurt by 45's policies.  And then there are people like my ILs (the ones who make racist comments about Mexicans and who have displayed the Third Reich flag in their home) and who are wealthy enough to be helped quite a bit by 45's economic policies.  My ILs are, unsurprisingly, fans of this current president.  

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, britomart said:

This is interesting to me.  Do those "red" commenters also express any disappointment, anger or slight unhappiness with those things that Oscars has listed? 

No, so far I haven't seen any disappointment expressed by any of those conservative commenters. But I am sure there are some Trump-supporters who are disappointed in some of his choices. Even the GOP Congresspeople have argued over some of it. I don't think I've ever been thrilled w/ everything a POTUS I voted for did. Nor was anyone I know. (that I've discussed politics with). So I would be very surprised if there weren't some Trump voters dissatisfied w/ some of his decisions, etc.

1 person likes this

21 hours ago, SueSTx said:

I also hope it isn't implying something...that would be a BNG.

Guideline 5

- b. slurs against any group of people, including racist, sexist, homophobic, ageist, religious, political, ethnic, sexual or other epithets (such as those against people with disabilities)

"It is not against any GP rule to mention God, Allah, Buddha, Krishna, Manitou , or any deities in their posts as long as it's not putting down that religion or any other religion and as long as it's a positive message. Users can accept it or not, as with any statement on any topic covered in a forum."

Blanket generalizations are also discouraged.

We may edit/delete negative generalizations. And often, no doubt, we will. Depending on context, etc. however, sometimes a mod may choose to deal with such a generalization by post and/or PM. Meanwhile, other generalizations that appear to be problematic will, most likely, be handled by post and/or PM.

I was simply trying to get Oscar to explain what she meant in her post...see the question mark at the end?

I hope I can consider this as to be handled in a post.

ETA:  Even when we are discussing current events, we have to be carefully with the wording to be sure we aren't generalizing about any group.

and I was joking (thus the wink but I guess I should have put jk too)........I think a lot of people get a little to defensive on both sides of the fence with the way things have been going in the country for the last few years (especially the last few months).  I for one have stopped reading the news and such because of all the craziness on both sides.

16 hours ago, oscarsmaman said:

If anyone has any positive insights on how great Trump actually is, or optimism about what positive things he'll accomplish, I'd welcome any bright spot provided.  Nothing positive at all. Pity sakes, currently GWB and his administration is being trotted out positively. 

I look at the business side of things, I typically vote Republican, I didn't vote for 45. My stomach/conscience wouldn't allow me that choice. I have absolutely no idea what change Republican/45 voters were after. I don't see racist, misogynistic, xenophobic, sexist, homophobic changes as anything positive. I'm conservative and I hate what I see happening. 

4 people like this

2 hours ago, JanelleK said:

I look at the business side of things, I typically vote Republican, I didn't vote for 45. My stomach/conscience wouldn't allow me that choice. I have absolutely no idea what change Republican/45 voters were after. I don't see racist, misogynistic, xenophobic, sexist, homophobic changes as anything positive. I'm conservative and I hate what I see happening. 

Thanks for your candor, Janelle. I think there are a lot of Republicans who are aghast at what Trump is doing, and that many Repblicans in Congress are giving him a green light on everything.

So far-- well, until your post-- the only response to the list of concerns I presented has been "I don't believe the news/ don't watch the news" and "both parties are to blame."

Troubling in the extreme. And our country, our citizens, are going to pay dearly for it.

Posted (edited)

I watched the debates, read more articles online and discussed politics more this past election than ever in my life.  I also prayed about what to do.  I and many others I talked to felt that we were voting against someone instead of for someone.  Voters shouldn't ever feel that way.  Now, the election is over and we have what we have until his term is up or the powers that be cause an upset.

I refuse to watch a daily recap of everything that is happening in politics.  And yes, much of it is just politics.

The Watergate hearings began on May 17, 1973. Public Television aired all 250 hours of testimony that summer. Here are some of the highlights. The Watergate scandal began with a burglary in June 1972 and ended with a president’s resignation in August 1974.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/a-look-back-at-the-senate-watergate-hearings/

I was confined to a hospital bed in a burn unit at this time.  I had no choice as to what I could watch. 

Edited by SueSTx
1 person likes this

4 hours ago, oscarsmaman said:

Thanks for your candor, Janelle. I think there are a lot of Republicans who are aghast at what Trump is doing, and that many Repblicans in Congress are giving him a green light on everything.

So far-- well, until your post-- the only response to the list of concerns I presented has been "I don't believe the news/ don't watch the news" and "both parties are to blame."

Troubling in the extreme. And our country, our citizens, are going to pay dearly for it.

I really don't understand how deliberate ignorance is an excuse.

If you refuse to watch the news, or believe anything that's coming out, then why are you participating in the conversation? You obviously don't have anything valid or germane to the discussion to contribute.

(General 'you'. I've heard, "I don't watch the news..." as an excuse when someone is challenged for defending Trump. Which says a LOT, frankly, about those who defend him)

1 person likes this