• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LaToyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Trump, Comey, etc...

186 posts in this topic

On 2017-05-19 at 1:13 PM, SueSTx said:

I read a very interesting comment on the current political situation today.  It gives me something to think about.

"Why is it that people think, what allegedly was committed, hasn't been committed over and over again behind closed doors! Not saying if it were right or wrong. Why is it, that half the people of this country believe wrestling is real, that ufo's exist, that Elvis is still alive and that only the liberal viewpoint is correct? This country has always been a two party system of government, for the most part. When one party won an election, the other party, respectfully, listened, debated and worked with the other. Or at least pretended too! Seems we have decided that respect for each other's opinions and beliefs should be replaced by demagoguery, hate and witch hunting. People should trust the system of government that has worked for us over 200 years. And respect and treat others like you would expect them to treat you."

I find this comment interesting.

Mainly b/c I remember flat declarations that Obama would be opposed at every turn. And they did. Which is why there was still a SCOTUS vacancy when Trump became President.

Seems like some serious hypocracy happening there.

Or, if you prefer, the current admin IS being treated the way they treated others...and doesn't like it.

I mean, Trump, up until VERY recently, refused to accept that Obama was even US born.

Twitter's been full of ppl retweeting Trump's own insults that he made to Obama, and has now turned around and either done the same, or WORSE than Obama did.

I find it seriously ironic that, after eight years of treating Obama badly, they're now whining about not being respected. Especially given the current investigations.

3 people like this

8 hours ago, SueSTx said:

OH, there is a lot of assuming going on, why not assume about me?

Perhaps you'd like to clear things up, then.

I have never shared with my husband, mother, siblings, AC nor granddaughter (she is the only one who asked) how I have voted...and to clear up things here...I will not be sharing online either!

My mother is 89 and has never shared even with Daddy (or so she says) how she has voted, and he never told her.  I come from a long line of "private" ballot casters.

Edited by SueSTx
1 person likes this

6 hours ago, SueSTx said:

I have never shared with my husband, mother, siblings, AC nor granddaughter (she is the only one who asked) how I have voted...and to clear up things here...I will not be sharing online either!

My mother is 89 and has never shared even with Daddy (or so she says) how she has voted, and he never told her.  I come from a long line of "private" ballot casters.

"How did you vote?"  answer: "For the candidate of my choice"....Only the rudest of people will continue to push. As well, I don't speculate on how others vote. My SisIL/BIL are run-the-ticket Republicans....I am a registered Democrat, but that doesn't mean much in the big picture.

Currently the hypocrisy of the entire 2-party system is overwhelmingly distracting and rendering the government incapable of standing in its own defense....I'd vote to bring back the Bull Moose.

1 person likes this

Mame,

Couldn't agree more. 

Oscars, What I find interesting on this "who voted for who" is that we both scored the same on the PEW survey as to where we are on the political spectrum (previous thread).  

9 hours ago, SueSTx said:

We do discuss it to some degree in my family, but no one is "expected to." YDD, for example, prefers not to reveal who she voted for in any given election and that's fine w/ us.

Same here online, the way I see it, Members can tell who they chose if they like or what party they belong to, if any, but they certainly don't have to. There's a reason it's a secret ballot, after all...

PEW: that was an interesting test. I ended exactly where I would have thought. Apparently I have very liberal attitudes about social issues, health care, the environment and foreign policy. I also have positive views of Wall Street’s impact on the economy. I voted appropriately, according to the test, considering my opinions. I read a piece about narcissism and 45. I'm hoping he can be held in check before he ruins foreign relations during his hopefully brief term.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-narcissism-epidemic/201603/is-donald-trump-actually-insecure-underneath

43 minutes ago, JanelleK said:

PEW: that was an interesting test. I ended exactly where I would have thought. Apparently I have very liberal attitudes about social issues, health care, the environment and foreign policy. I also have positive views of Wall Street’s impact on the economy. I voted appropriately, according to the test, considering my opinions. I read a piece about narcissism and 45. I'm hoping he can be held in check before he ruins foreign relations during his hopefully brief term.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-narcissism-epidemic/201603/is-donald-trump-actually-insecure-underneath

Given what happened on his first international trip, I'd say damage has been done. Ms. Merkel has flat out stated that the US can no longer be counted on.

The two questions I see are, "How much damage will be done?" and "How long will it take to repair this damage?"

I suspect that 45 shrugs at the thought of damage to international relationships, unless it's somewhere he has business interests and/or they have oil. I genuinely don't think he cares unless it impacts him personally.

3 people like this

On May 26, 2017 at 7:58 AM, SueSTx said:

Where did I ask you how you voted? Nowhere. I'm talking about News & Issues, And I am asking as to where you stand with regard to Trump's performance so far. And I'm not just asking you, it's a general question. 

If you have no opinion, and if you have no trust in the media, it's interesting that you choose to post to a forum called "News & Issues."

8 hours ago, oscarsmaman said:

I'm talking about News & Issues, And I am asking as to where you stand with regard to Trump's performance so far.

I thought you were asking a generic question about 45's lack of positive accomplishments. I'm also curious about any positive things people may have noted since 45 was elected. I keep wondering what I may have missed that 45 supporters see as positive?

On 5/29/2017 at 7:33 AM, ImpishMom said:

Given what happened on his first international trip, I'd say damage has been done. Ms. Merkel has flat out stated that the US can no longer be counted on.

Agreed. That was my point, sorta. I just hope he hasn't entirely messed up foreign relations yet. And public policy. And life here in the US.

On a family-related note, champagne pops for Memorial Day, really? The lack of awareness boggles.

ETA: to Rose point below, I apologize, I made an assumption about Oscars point  -->    Oscarsmaman:  "Then what is Trump doing that particularly attracts you to his agenda for the country? What is he doing now, and/or what is the promise of his administration, that you think will be in the best interests of the majority of the citizens of this country? How will he be making this country better?"

Edited by JanelleK
Below

Hmmm... Say Person X wears a red dress one day and Person Y starts saying that Person X' favorite color is red. Then say, X asserts that Y is making an assumption that's based on fairly flimsy evidence. If Y then suggests that X "clear things up," it would seem, I think, that Y is asking X to tell what X' fave color actually is. It would not seem as if Y were asking X to explain what X thought about, say, the effects of the color red or about color in general.

If you (general) can follow this ^^^, that is. ;)

Perhaps it's just better for members to avoid posting assumptions about each other's choices, including assumptions about who this/that member voted for, etc.

ETA: @JanelleK - This ^^^^ has nothing to do w. your above comments. I hope my edits to this post make that clearer.

Edited by RoseRed135
clarity
1 person likes this

Ive no idea who most people voted for but do know what issues most support or dont but even with that I still have no idea which way they voted- On my FB feed, it appears those that showed support for Trump are not supporting him as much, are complaing about congress and their party- Others continue to share headlines, make known what they oppose, say they "hate the guy" (actual quote) but not all actually come out and say who they dont hate all that often- Again, most focus on issues- And the problem Ive come to have with that is that the issues many support dont benefit everybody- One can sit there and oooolalala about how great it is now and was before Trump took office but the fact of the matter is before as well as after Trump took office there were areas in the US where it was the complete opposite- Oh, well, aye? Every time I come across an oooolalalala or I hate the guy I think of those poverty stricken areas and half of me wants to be happy Trump won the election- But I stop myself and realize that oooolalala good for us hooie for you and hate is what got him elected in the first place- 

Komorebi.  Your last sentence got my bristles up.  I think it's interesting that you say hate got him elected in the first place.   You aren't the first person to say that.  The word "haters" was used frequently to describe the supporters of Trump.   There's a whole lot of hating going on the other side of the fence too.   Riots after loosing an election.  To me that's the pot calling the kettle black.

10 hours ago, skipped said:

Komorebi.  Your last sentence got my bristles up.  I think it's interesting that you say hate got him elected in the first place.   You aren't the first person to say that.  The word "haters" was used frequently to describe the supporters of Trump.   There's a whole lot of hating going on the other side of the fence too.   Riots after loosing an election.  To me that's the pot calling the kettle black.

Sorry, skipped- My apologies- I wasn't clear- I was referring to both sides doing the hooie and hate and la-ti-da for me and the heck with everyone else routine- Even before Trump was elected, on both sides, back and forth- And I know that it's part of the act for the president in office at the time to get in on the mud slinging but I feel in so many ways it isn't helpful- Doesn't matter which party is in office at the time- Only one side is going to win- And then once someone does there's all that stuff that got said by the party that lost -- including former president/s- I watched Trump on the campaign trail, I watched Clinton on the campaign trail- Trump said a lot of ridiculous stuff  and Clinton exuded a little too much confidence- And somehow, some way, the media got in on the game and stopped reporting- Just stopped- And morphed into pure spin- Now don't get me wrong, please- I think education is important (we need more of it!) but the weight people placed on the highly educated calling the shots, exuding exaggerated confidence basically looking down their nose at Americans, like themselves, who didn't agree with them- What happened to the highly educated after the election? I was actually physically uncomfortable watching their shock and response- And it's yet to stop- I honestly think more Trump supporters will come closer to being moderates than Democrats who seem to be leaning so far left that their act of doing so will be in no small part a catalyst for catastrophe- I guess what I am trying to say is to add their leaning so far left to what's already unfolding under this administration- Ugh ..

I want to see stuff get done that benefits everyone!

Rant over- Thank you for listening!

And one more thing .. :)

People want ( are pressuring) to know what all Trump is doing that so stupendous- Democrats were encouraged by president Obama to deeply engage in grassroots activism- Where's all the stupendous activism? All I'm hearing is a whole lot of complaining -- to put it mildly- Where's the plan? What are you (general) doing to insure that the Democrats and or another party will win the next election? What are you (general) saying and doing to encourage people to come over to the other or another side? "I hate this guy" ( a direct quote from my FB feed) isn't gonna cut it ..

4 hours ago, Komorebi said:

People want ( are pressuring) to know what all Trump is doing that so stupendous- Democrats were encouraged by president Obama to deeply engage in grassroots activism- Where's all the stupendous activism? All I'm hearing is a whole lot of complaining -- to put it mildly- Where's the plan? What are you (general) doing to insure that the Democrats and or another party will win the next election? What are you (general) saying and doing to encourage people to come over to the other or another side? "I hate this guy" ( a direct quote from my FB feed) isn't gonna cut it ..

Good questions, IMO, Komo. I imagine Obama is thinking of a grassroots movement that does for the more liberal side of the ledger what the Tea Party seems to have done for the more conservative side. But you're right, I think - in order to even come close to doing that they need some sort of plan.

Then again, maybe they're already working on one. Who knows?

6 hours ago, Komorebi said:

Grassroots activism? I'd say the Women's March was that in spades. As was the March for Science.

I know a lot of folks who are donating and fund raising for such groups as the ACLU and Planned Parenthood and attending Town Halls, making phone calls daily, etc. I know folks who went to the airport to protest the travel ban. I know folks that were at both the Women's March and the March for Science.

I've seen a *lot* of action from many of the folks I know in the US.

2 people like this

6 hours ago, Komorebi said:

There's tons of grassroots activism.  I'm surprised you haven't seen it reported in the news or the videos posted in your FB feed.  (There was a pretty funny video/picture of a GOP rep who went up to the roof of his building when people protested in front of his office the other day.)  I'm pretty involved these days as I belong to 2 groups that are involved in opposing 45's harmful policies and electing progressives to congress in 2018.  Even though I paid attention to politics and voted before I had never been really politically active (outside of a couple of things I did in college) but I, and many others like me, felt it imperative to become active after the election.  I participated in the Women's March which was hugely successful and the Tax Day march.  I've also attended my congressional representative's town halls and protested in front of neighboring representatives offices.  When the GOP first tried to pass their terrible healthcare bill I participated in a protest/candle light vigil in front of a nearby representative's office.  (Protesting in front of my rep's office wasn't necessary since she stated she did not support the bill.)  I also protested in front of another neighboring representative's office after the GOP managed to get their revised healthcare bill passed by the House.  Our local Indivisible Groups staged a "die in" in front of the rep's office and it was picked up by local news.  I am also very active with calling my congressional representatives and state reps to let them know my opinions on upcoming legislation. I'm a huge supporter of my state's attempt to pass it's own universal healthcare bill.  Oh and I participated in talks with my local police chief to get him to make our city a sanctuary city. And I will be canvassing, phone banking and doing whatever else is necessary to kick the GOP reps out of their seats in 2018.  

I'm not the only person who is involved in this grassroots effort.  Take a look at what's happening with Jon Ossoff in Georgia.  I've met tons of other people like me who weren't involved but decided they needed to get involved after the election.  

2 people like this

For these ^ I'm grateful- Grateful to read simple facts without spin- Although .. I personally think there's more to activism and that it doesn't end with winning back seats- Winning back seats for the sake of winning back seats to fill them with individuals who once in those seats forgets about the people accomplishes next to nothing- (and we wonder why our government is cumbersome?) That's a whole lot of work done by a whole lot of people, people who worked furiously to position that individual into that seat- And that's a huge problem, one which must no longer be acceptable if the goal is to accomplish what's best- Activism has to move past winning- It has to center itself to benefit all Americans- And in order to do that what will benefit all must be exhaustively investigated- I think diligently working to get someone a seat, who abuses that seat repeatedly, and turns their purpose for being in that seat from being about the people to being about them has become acceptable to activists and Americans in general- And it has to stop, I think-

I fully supported "some" of what the president "purported" along the campaign trail (and still do) but I couldn't support the man- And as each day has passed he has proven why I couldn't- It doesn't matter what party I declare- He's doing a remarkable job- And as a result of his efforts, he is teaching each of us to not want something so bad that we are willing to accept "winning" an election as an end-all- Obama was no different- In his speeches he strategically addressed all Americans only to tell them, ever so eloquently, that what he intended to accomplish wouldn't benefit all those listening-

In other words, the goal of activism is to provide solutions, not contribute to the exiting problems-

1 hour ago, Komorebi said:

In other words, the goal of activism is to provide solutions, not contribute to the exiting problems-

To quote the Neverending Story, "It has to HURT if it's to HEAL!"

Reality of it is, things seldom change unless/until it's painful not to. Look at the Civil Rights Movement, as an example. There were ppl who complained about the marches, the protests, why are they making such a fuss and cry, they're not actually DOING anything other than causing more problems...

But look where things are now, as a direct result of those marches and protests.

Do you (general) think this president is "shielded" like past presidents have been? With access to the interweb/net, I don't think our most recent presidents have been- So when a president today reads about protests against him, what do you (general) think his response to gaining such knowledge should be?

4 hours ago, Komorebi said:

For these ^ I'm grateful- Grateful to read simple facts without spin- Although .. I personally think there's more to activism and that it doesn't end with winning back seats- Winning back seats for the sake of winning back seats to fill them with individuals who once in those seats forgets about the people accomplishes next to nothing- (and we wonder why our government is cumbersome?) That's a whole lot of work done by a whole lot of people, people who worked furiously to position that individual into that seat- And that's a huge problem, one which must no longer be acceptable if the goal is to accomplish what's best- Activism has to move past winning- It has to center itself to benefit all Americans- And in order to do that what will benefit all must be exhaustively investigated- I think diligently working to get someone a seat, who abuses that seat repeatedly, and turns their purpose for being in that seat from being about the people to being about them has become acceptable to activists and Americans in general- And it has to stop, I think-

I fully supported "some" of what the president "purported" along the campaign trail (and still do) but I couldn't support the man- And as each day has passed he has proven why I couldn't- It doesn't matter what party I declare- He's doing a remarkable job- And as a result of his efforts, he is teaching each of us to not want something so bad that we are willing to accept "winning" an election as an end-all- Obama was no different- In his speeches he strategically addressed all Americans only to tell them, ever so eloquently, that what he intended to accomplish wouldn't benefit all those listening-

Who ever said that the only point of activism is or should be to win seats?  Is that really all you got from my post?  There is a huge effort being made to stop 45's potentially hurtful policies from coming to fruition.  There is also a big push (at least in CA) to move towards more progressive policies.  That is why there's a big effort in the state to push us towards universal healthcare.  A lot of activists are hoping to make CA a place where we can "lead by example."  

I also don't see why you have such a problem with trying to get people who share your policy goals into congress or state houses.  One of the big ways that activists can successfully get their agenda moving is by getting people who share their goals elected to office.  The people in office are the ones who can pass the laws that the activists support.  So, getting people who share those goals into office is pretty important.  It's not the only thing that is important but it is important.  Activists on the left are also making a big effort to hold even left-y politicians' feet to the fire.  Even though my congressional rep is a Democrat her town hall was still packed with people who wanted to make sure that she is working to further a progressive agenda.  We were all there pushing her to officially support an effort to get a universal healthcare bill passed.  And I know that her office is getting tons of calls pushing her towards a progressive agenda.  I've talked with the people who answer her phones and they always tell me how they are getting so many more calls from constituents now than they ever have in the past.  And it's not like activists are just willy-nilly supporting any old politician who calls himself a progressive.  The Indivisible Group from a neighboring county has been having meetings to meet the progressives who are planning to challenge the GOP rep who has that seat.  They are basically "interviewing" all the potential candidates before deciding which one to support.  

2 people like this

1 hour ago, ImpishMom said:

To quote the Neverending Story, "It has to HURT if it's to HEAL!"

Reality of it is, things seldom change unless/until it's painful not to. Look at the Civil Rights Movement, as an example. There were ppl who complained about the marches, the protests, why are they making such a fuss and cry, they're not actually DOING anything other than causing more problems...

But look where things are now, as a direct result of those marches and protests.

And it usually does-

The "civil rights" marches were about changing legislation for the African American population -- because equality benefits all Americans- (just like clean water) What are the marches about today? Any of them? 

In the US the most important decisions regarding legislation are made by those who rub elbows with, or are in bed with, the most money -- because money has the most influence- How do you (general) propose Americans address that issue? Because unless we do quality of life will improve for some but not others- 

20 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

Do you (general) think this president is "shielded" like past presidents have been? With access to the interweb/net, I don't think our most recent presidents have been- So when a president today reads about protests against him, what do you (general) think his response to gaining such knowledge should be?

It would be nice if he acknowledged the concerns of those protesting him and attempted to address them.  

I definitely do not think it is at all productive or mature to go on some ridiculous twitter rant like 45 is wont to do.  

1 person likes this