• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Trump, Comey, etc...

186 posts in this topic

I've found the hypocracy very interesting.

I can't help but think that if either Hillary or Obama had had such ties to Russia, or 'smoke' if you prefer, billowing about, they'd have been impeached so fast heads would spin.

That if Hillary had won, and installed Chelsea and Bill in the same positions as Trump's put his daughter and SIL, there would've been actions taken.

Folks who would've been screaming for blood if it had been Obama are too busy pretzeling themselves to excuse Trump.

Says a lot about the morals and principles of those in government, imo. And nothing good.

4 people like this

On May 31, 2017 at 5:56 PM, Komorebi said:

And one more thing .. :)

People want ( are pressuring) to know what all Trump is doing that so stupendous- Democrats were encouraged by president Obama to deeply engage in grassroots activism- Where's all the stupendous activism? All I'm hearing is a whole lot of complaining -- to put it mildly- Where's the plan? What are you (general) doing to insure that the Democrats and or another party will win the next election? What are you (general) saying and doing to encourage people to come over to the other or another side? "I hate this guy" ( a direct quote from my FB feed) isn't gonna cut it ..

As someone who leans libertarian, I have actually be really excited with the left's ability to adapt to this administration's changes. They managed to have the climate change summit after it was cancelled by the CDC, broke records for donations to planned parenthood, and now is finding ways to support the Paris Climate agreement -- all without the Federal government or in some cases no government at all. They have been great about rallying on a lot of things. I am curious how the future of the Democratic Party will select candidates due to the corruption in the last race.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, MBear said:

AsAs someone who leans libertarian, I have actually be really excited with the left's ability to adapt to this administration's changes. They managed to have the climate change summit after it was cancelled by the CDC, broke records for donations to planned parenthood, and now is finding ways to support the Paris Climate agreement -- all without the Federal government or in some cases no government at all. They have been great about rallying on a lot of things. I am curious how the future of the Democratic Party will select candidates due to the corruption in the last race.

As a lefty I'd love for the Dems to explore getting rid of superdelegates. Hillary pretty much already had the nomination in the bag because she bagged most of the superdelegates. I don't know if it will entirely solve the issue but it's a start. The problem with that happening could be that we could wind up with someone like Trump. There was some talk during primary season that if the GOP had as many superdelegates as the Dems they could have stopped Trump. Anyway it's something to explore. 

There's a bit of a fight raging right now between the Bernie wing of the party and the old guard Clintonistas. Us Berners want Hillary and her followers to sit down and let the progressives get stuff done without her trying to capitalize on it.. Hillary's re-emergence into public life is not helping at all. 

3 people like this

27 minutes ago, britomart said:

As a lefty I'd love for the Dems to explore getting rid of superdelegates. Hillary pretty much already had the nomination in the bag because she bagged most of the superdelegates. I don't know if it will entirely solve the issue but it's a start. The problem with that happening could be that we could wind up with someone like Trump. There was some talk during primary season that if the GOP had as many superdelegates as the Dems they could have stopped Trump. Anyway it's something to explore. 

There's a bit of a fight raging right now between the Bernie wing of the party and the old guard Clintonistas. Us Berners want Hillary and her followers to sit down and let the progressives get stuff done without her trying to capitalize on it.. Hillary's re-emergence into public life is not helping at all. 

I was a political science major in school and this stuff is so interesting to me. There is real potential for both parties to be transformed after this entire mess, I just wonder if it will happen or if the old timers in the party will play dirty (on both sides) and keep control. Personally, my ballots have been all over the place as far as to which party I vote for, so really, I don't have any dog in the fight and will pick any one that seems sincere and will work well with others. I actually voted Bernie in the primary because of his sincerity and my distrust of Hillary, hoping he might could make it. He goes against most of my political views but man, I would take him in a heart beat over what we have now. 

23 hours ago, MBear said:

As someone who leans libertarian, I have actually be really excited with the left's ability to adapt to this administration's changes. They managed to have the climate change summit after it was cancelled by the CDC, broke records for donations to planned parenthood, and now is finding ways to support the Paris Climate agreement -- all without the Federal government or in some cases no government at all. They have been great about rallying on a lot of things. I am curious how the future of the Democratic Party will select candidates due to the corruption in the last race.

Maybe a new party will be formed- Maybe more people from all parties will move more towards the center and form that party --  which is what we (us/family) are hoping for- Longshot, maybe? Anyway, the more people manage to do, like what you've described above, makes us happier by the day that Donald Trump was elected- At the same time we don't think much of the above would have happened without the global Occupy Movement-

1 person likes this

On 6/8/2017 at 11:21 AM, JanelleK said:

I heard news that Veterans Choice Program was expanded and an August 2017 expiration date was done away with. The program started in President Obama's term and now won't expire until the funds dry up, likely in 2018. I'm glad this current expansion is working for your DH, but it only seems to be a short term band-aid on previous legislation.

And it's a good thing -- as in something good Donald Trump did do- 

Trump signed the bill to encourage congress to expand the program- The new bill is not the same as Obama's, it's been changed- The VA now covers co-pays and costs for private sector care directly so that veterans no longer have to pay up front and wait for reimbursement-

1 person likes this

Just a random thought...If each and every president "threw out" everything done under the previous administration, there wouldn't be any law for months or longer while the new administration got their "stuff" together.  Of course programs carry over.

1 person likes this

There's so much polarization right now I'm leaning strenuously left-left-center. :D

Sue brings up an interesting thought: Can you imagine each consecutive president pettily dismantling every prior administration's program? Eisenhower and Roosevelt, from different parties, were two of our greatest presidents. Can you imagine dismantling SS, Medicare, highway-roads-and-bridges, education funding, etc.? To me, it's tantamount to a boss I once had who yanked a lot of fantastic things our charismatic, fantastic prior boss had done, simply because that narcissistic boss didn't want to live in the shadow of that great man.

While I'm heartened that states are trying to piecemeal fill in the gaps left by this administration's lack of leadership and benevolence to the American people, the country is stronger when the states work together. 

United we stand, divided we fall.

1 person likes this

22 hours ago, SueSTx said:

Just a random thought...If each and every president "threw out" everything done under the previous administration, there wouldn't be any law for months or longer while the new administration got their "stuff" together.  Of course programs carry over.

Actually, I can envision the next Democratic administration reinstating everything this administration discarded, and the next Republican one reversing that again and so on indefinitely. But I hope that doesn't happen, of course.

As far as state action is concerned, well, IMO, Trump should be pleased w/ that, even when a state disagrees w/ him, b/c he, apparently, supports the idea of giving more power to the states. Oscar's post has me wondering, though... if there's a wider gap between certain laws and programs from state to state, as a result, will that promote greater division in this country?

14 minutes ago, oscarsmaman said:

There's so much polarization right now I'm leaning strenuously left-left-center. :D

Sue brings up an interesting thought: Can you imagine each consecutive president pettily dismantling every prior administration's program? Eisenhower and Roosevelt, from different parties, were two of our greatest presidents. Can you imagine dismantling SS, Medicare, highway-roads-and-bridges, education funding, etc.? To me, it's tantamount to a boss I once had who yanked a lot of fantastic things our charismatic, fantastic prior boss had done, simply because that narcissistic boss didn't want to live in the shadow of that great man.

While I'm heartened that states are trying to piecemeal fill in the gaps left by this administration's lack of leadership and benevolence to the American people, the country is stronger when the states work together. 

United we stand, divided we fall.

On 6/11/2017 at 6:00 AM, SueSTx said:

Just a random thought...If each and every president "threw out" everything done under the previous administration, there wouldn't be any law for months or longer while the new administration got their "stuff" together.  Of course programs carry over.  YEP.  And programs have to be funded.

"On April 19, 2017, President Trump signed a law that removes the August, 7, 2017, expiration date and allows VA to utilize funding dedicated to the Veterans Choice Program (VCP) until it is exhausted. The VCP is a critical program that increases access to care for Veterans by authorizing millions of appointments for Veterans in the community."

What actually matters, imo, is appropriations. For a program to work, it has to be funded. The old VCP was modified and extended/expanded to use the existing funding. It's quite clear it was not funded past when the existing appropriation, made during Obama's terms, runs out.

Seems the
Subcommittee Markup - FY 2018 Military Construction and Veterans Affairs Appropriations Bill, begins Monday, June 12, 2017.

2 people like this

And he's STILL talking about tax cuts, which makes me wonder what else he might de-fund or under-support until it dies.

Kansas tax cuts, the great experiment, has failed.

1 person likes this