• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Long distance Mother's/Father's Day - How do you connect?

13 posts in this topic

If your parents/PILs or AC and family live far away from you, how do you connect on holidays like Mother's and/or Father's Day? Cards? Video chat? FaceTime? Text? Flowers sent? Or ??

If you do connect w/ your LD family for these holidays, is it on THE day or close to it?

I've been a 10 hour drive from my FOO for nearly 50 years.  In the early years we were so poor even a monthly phone call was out of the question, so I would send a card.  With the wide spread use of cell phones and free long distance, I now talk to Mother nearly every week,  That seems like a lot after a couple of decades of once a month only.

I will talk to Mother sometime this weekend but can't be sure since I am going to babysit one group of grands.  Neither Mother nor I video chat, facetime or text.

FTD Flowers is my go to Mother's Day gift.

My mother-in-law died earlier this year, after two years of our living on the next block over from her home. Before that, though, we lived 10,000 miles apart. During that time, I sent a handmade card and some recent photos of her growing grandson to her for mothers' day every year.  I also occasionally also sent flowers, either on mothers day or on my husbands birthday (with a thank you card), depending on finances.

1 person likes this

My  mother is allergic to some of the usual flowers used in Mother's Day arrangements and even she isn't sure exactly which ones. 

23 minutes ago, GrandmaMisti said:

My mother-in-law died earlier this year, after two years of our living on the next block over from her home. Before that, though, we lived 10,000 miles apart. During that time, I sent a handmade card and some recent photos of her growing grandson to her for mothers' day every year.  I also occasionally also sent flowers, either on mothers day or on my husbands birthday (with a thank you card), depending on finances.

Sorry for your loss, Misti.

Sounds like you had a good relationship w/ MIL though, and treated her very kindly. Kudos!

Cherish the fond memories...

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, SueSTx said:

My  mother is allergic to some of the usual flowers used in Mother's Day arrangements and even she isn't sure exactly which ones. 

I have a cousin w/ this problem. So frustrating (for both her and her DH and DSs who would love to give her flowers but can't)!

Edited by RoseRed135

Is it an option to send a bouquet of silk or wooden flowers? (I'm not making this up about the wooden flowers; I have seen some GORGEOUS wooden roses that actually resemble the real thing!) Alternatively, I would send a cross-stitch of flowers, but then, I recognize that not everybody is crafty.

1 person likes this

My mother is also a minimalist ... she chooses to have nothing extra to dust. 

Posted (edited)

How about Father's Day, people? If you live far from your loved ones, how do you generally connect then?

Edited by RoseRed135
punctuation

Posted (edited)

On 6/11/2017 at 6:36 AM, RoseRed135 said:

How about Father's Day, people? If you live far from your loved ones, how do you generally connect then?

Both of our fathers have been gone for decades, but I send hand made fathers day cards to the three sons who have children.

Edited by RoseRed135
to reflect editing of puntuation in quoted post

Posted (edited)

On 6/11/2017 at 6:36 AM, RoseRed135 said:

This is another of those questions everyone would answer differently. In our immediate family there are many many alternatives regarding in town - out of town Father's Day. I think FD means more to men than MD means to women.

Our SonIL will be working in another state for a few days surrounding Father's Day. We are giving him a ticket to an event and a gift certificate to his favorite restaurant. His gifts/ecard will be delivered to his inbox early Sunday morning. We offered YDD airline miles to visit him for the weekend, but their kiddies are too young for such a tiresome adventure.

For me it's mostly about my husband, the father of our children. I'll make MILs cannoli for my husband to enjoy with his coffee, his favorite breakfast before Church, and his choice of dinner and his mom's best cake for dessert.

After Church my husband, our sons, and my brother are going on a charity bike race. ODD, YDD live here so they get to help me do a shrimp-boil dinner after the race. I'll make him cake(s) from MILs recipe, myself.

YDS won't be eating shrimp-boil, he'll go home for Father's Day with his wife and 4 kiddies. He'll take our Father's Day gift home to open with his little family (and likely a cake for all of them as well).

My SisIL is taking her folks and bio-son on a long trip to a Chinese event for her Dad's Father's Day. My brother is dropping his daughter off with us for breakfast/ride to Church while he spends sunrise at our Dad's grave.

My BILs, nephews, nephewsIL - out of town gifts/celebrations? No idea.

Edited by RoseRed135
to reflect editing of puntuation in quoted post

I lost my dad more than 40 years ago, my godfather last year, and never knew either of my GF...DS has been gone 2-1/2 years. So, I don't get all warm & fuzzy for Father's Day any more. DS/DIL took their 5 kids on vacation for the week. And, actually I've been on the road for the past 12 days! The last 6 days my sister joined me. On Sunday, in the tiny town in Alabama where we were staying she decided we needed to go to church on Sunday. I'm religiously rather ambivalent, but it was important to her so we picked a church at random and went in. (It's the Bible Belt South, a church on every corner for sure). The Pastor was a down-to-earth, friendly speaker with a good message for the day. I left feeling "lighter"...