• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
Komorebi

Perennial Movie List

58 posts in this topic

My DIL asked if the story line in "The Help" was fairly accurate.  I assured her that it was.  She hadn't a clue.

2 people like this

I was still a kid in the Jim Crow South,so only saw it on brief trips to see family, but my dad grew up smack in the middle of it...racial segregation was totally lost on him. People are people...There are "Hilly Holbrook"s everywhere, mean girls. Sissy Spacek stole every scene in the movie she was in. 

1 person likes this

My Dad grew up in the 30's in a rural town where coal mining and farming were the main industry.  He and his six brothers helped support their family by raising a "truck garden" and delivered the produce in a wagon pulled by a mule "back door" to back door at the "big houses".  Some of these homes are still rather grand even today.  When my DS was a college student, Dad let him go with him one summer to deliver free produce to some grandmothers raising their grandchildren and even great grandchildren.  They called him "Mister _________"  and he called them Granny Jones etc.  He told DS that some of these women who were his age actually worked in the kitchens where he delivered veges when they were themselves kids or early teens during the 30's.  Apparently he knew each of their favorites and even the favorites of a few of the kids who he called by name.

Daddy loved to fish also, but he didn't like to eat fish and he would deliver them to his "grannies".  We learned about his "deliveries" at his visitation the night before his funeral service.  DS and one cousin were the only ones he ever let ride with him for a delivery.  He also delivered some holiday meals to a lady or two who lived all alone and had no family of their own.

The cousin who did his services spoke on the good Samaritan...who knew. 

3 people like this

Fried Green Tomatoes, The Notebook (pretty much all Sparks stories ..)The Blind Side (seen it at least a dozen times) A Time To Kill, The Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood, The Secret Life of Bees, Cold Mountain (love Renee Zellweger's character) 

On 7/8/2017 at 9:34 AM, SueSTx said:

My DIL asked if the story line in "The Help" was fairly accurate.  I assured her that it was.  She hadn't a clue.

One time, at my grandma's up north, we were watching "Roots," and my 12-year-old (at the time) cousin said, "It wasn't really like THAT, though. Right?" My mom, a teacher, looked at her wide-eyed and said, "Oh no, it wasn't. It was much, MUCH worse. They can't even show the worst stuff on TV." (Well, because Grandma didn't have premium channels, ha.) And my grandma and mom helped her wrap her young brain around the concept of slavery. To me, slavery in America was our own holocaust, and we should "never forget."

On 7/8/2017 at 10:30 AM, Mame925 said:

I was still a kid in the Jim Crow South,so only saw it on brief trips to see family, but my dad grew up smack in the middle of it...racial segregation was totally lost on him. People are people...There are "Hilly Holbrook"s everywhere, mean girls. Sissy Spacek stole every scene in the movie she was in. 

Agree on the Two-Slice Hilly observation, AND that Sissy Spacek stole every single scene in the show. Alison Janney did an amazing job, too, especially in her last scene with Hilly.

But I DO love Jessica Chastain, too. Especially when Minnie tells her she burned up her cake. Through clenched teeth, perched tensely in that wing chair, she balls up her fists and seethes, "Dog- GONE it!" And scurries to the kitchen. Oh, I could watch it over and over again!

1 person likes this

My favorite characters are Skeeter and Ceila- My favorite for performance is Viola Davis-

I loved the scene with the toilets on Hilly's lawn...and the newspaper editor who hated the cigarette smoke around his office.

@SueSTx, love the story you shared. My paternal GP's were also "truck farmers ". 

Fly Away Home is another .. and Walk The Line .. Pleasantville ..

Edited by Komorebi

On 5/22/2017 at 8:11 AM, Tobias41 said:

Some of these are my favorites too! Add to this Empire Records, And Indian Summer - if you haven't seen this one... its a must! I love American Graffiti too, Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Caribean, and most of the Marvel Movies...  I live Steel Magnolias - but I have to be in the mood for a good cry and I love Beaches too, but again... boohoo time for me. 

I also have my holiday shows.... Halloween is of Course Its the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, but Peanuts is a must at Thanksgiving and Christmas....  For the Holidays I love all the Rankin-Bass Cartoons like the Year without a Santa Clause, etc.  For my top pick thats a hard one, I have to see Miracle on 54th Steet and some other various Halmark ones, but my favorite has to be a tie between A Muppet Christmas Carol and  A Christmas Story... I am not sure if Gonzo as Charles Dickens  or Ralphie wins that contest....

What are the newest Movies that have made your list too? My most recent one is The Martian with Mat Damon... but I think Fantastic Beasts might make the list too- not sure yet on that one.... 

Just finished watching Indian Summer .. :)

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Komorebi said:

Just finished watching Indian Summer .. :)

Did you like it?

10 hours ago, Tobias41 said:

Did you like it?

I did! And absolutely loved the ending .. :)  Thanks for suggesting it!

Love actually, On golden pond-

Edited by Komorebi

Watched a good old movie from 1940 this morning called Dark Command starring Claire Trevor John Wayne Walter Pidgeon Roy Roger Gabby Hayes and Marjorie Main -- who I love- One of todays actors who remind me of her is Margo Martindale, love the way she portrayed Maggs Bennett in the series Justified, even though my favorite character in that entire series is Loretta McCready played by Kaitlyn Dever-

Edited by Komorebi

Mame925 - you listed my most favorite movies.  Just watched Aunt Mame and there was not a musical that I don't love.  Oklahoma, 7 Brides, etc.  I just thought of watching The Ref (comedy) on Christmas.  On New Year we watch Rod Sterling's - Twilight Zone.  In this area, the have a 48 hour marathon.  Now even the kids are into it.  It has become a tradition.  

We watched 'Miracle on 34th Street', 'Holiday Inn' (Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire) & 'Truman' (Gary Sinese) on Thanksgiving evening. I highly recommend 'Truman'...Sinise did a wonderful job playing the 'simple on the outside, very complex on the inside' Harry Truman. 

I have all the Christmas movies out, we'll see what gets played over the next few weeks.

The King and I .. 

1 person likes this

I watched My Girl again yesterday.  I love that movie.

1 person likes this

Diary of a Mad Black Woman ..

1 person likes this

The Lord of the Rings trilogy, watched it over the holidays (again) -- love it- Princess Bride the other night- My guilty pleasures, Legally Blonde, Legally Blonde 2 and Beauty Shop ..

1 person likes this

"A Wonderful Life"  And if you haven't seen "Kochi: A Dog's Tale" based on true story.  It is a must!  

Yesterday I watched Cold Mountain during the day and Groundhog Day at night .. One of my Bill Murray faves- 

1 person likes this

Memoirs of a Geisha

I watched a double feature the other night..."Best Little Whorehouse In Texas" & "Smokey & the Bandit"....love them both...and I have always just adored Jerry Reed...his characters were always so lovably goofy. Such a talent..."Eastbound & Down" always makes me want to pack up and hit the road. Casting in both movies was so good...and the music in BLWIT was excellent.

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, Mame925 said:

I watched a double feature the other night..."Best Little Whorehouse In Texas" & "Smokey & the Bandit"....love them both...and I have always just adored Jerry Reed...his characters were always so lovably goofy. Such a talent..."Eastbound & Down" always makes me want to pack up and hit the road. Casting in both movies was so good...and the music in BLWIT was excellent.

Awesome bundle, Mame- I've been thinking of doing the same with Spencer and Hepburn- Guess Who's Coming to dinner and ..? I've yet to decide ..

1 person likes this