• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

What's the most important thing you learned from your dad? (Question of the Month, June 2017)

9 posts in this topic

With Father's Day just around the corner, I'm wondering... What's the most important thing you learned from your dad, if anything?

Acceptance....as a man raised in the deep, rural South, he had no racial prejudices at all. It served him well his entire life. In his eyes people are just people. He did respect the cultural differences, but since he was included in just about everything anyone did, he never judged.

1 person likes this

Be true to yourself, don't just follow the crowd to be part of the crowd.  Silence is consent.

1 person likes this

To get a good education and work hard at your job.  My Dad passes when he was 45, much too young.  

7 minutes ago, FreeGirl said:

To get a good education and work hard at your job.  My Dad passes when he was 45, much too young.  

So sorry for your dad's early demise, FreeGirl. He sounds like a very good influence.

Oh my gosh--there are so so  many things I have learned from my Dad. He's almost 90 and my truest inspiration.  

I may add a file  later of a poem I wrote for him on his 70th but in the mean time....

#1) If somebody asks you for help--say "Sure what do you need--before they ever tell you anything about what they need help with.  

#2) You can tell the size of a man by the size of the things that upset him.

My dad taught me that family is.everything.

On 5/29/2017 at 2:56 PM, Mame925 said:

Acceptance....as a man raised in the deep, rural South, he had no racial prejudices at all. It served him well his entire life. In his eyes people are just people. He did respect the cultural differences, but since he was included in just about everything anyone did, he never judged.

This^^^ reminds me, to some degree, of my dad, too. In fact, he was so against prejudice that he would object even if one of us kids said we "loved" this/that people. Even though it was a positive comment, he argued that it was still "prejudice" b/c we were "pre-juding" hundreds of people we didn't know. While I think people need to be given a little more leeway than that - no one who says "I love this/that people" means any harm, IMO - this line of thinking definitely had an impact on me and helped teach me to look at others as individuals, not stereotypes.

On 6/2/2017 at 6:20 PM, SueSTx said:

Be true to yourself, don't just follow the crowd to be part of the crowd. 

On 6/3/2017 at 10:00 PM, FreeGirl said:

To get a good education and work hard at your job. 

My DF stressed all the above values. (DM did, also, more or less.) His beliefs left an indelible impression on my mind and heart.

Meanwhile, good to hear all these lovely memories. Hope everyone has a lovely Father's Day and so do the dads, granddads, stepdads, adoptive dads, etc. in your lives!