• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

"But you're so far away..."

Most common reasons for moving far away?   20 votes

1. 1. What, in your opinion, are the main reasons young people move a long distance from parents/PILs (parents-in-law)/other family (check all that apply)?

• better job or educational opportunities
    • physical or social climate of a region
    • better schools or environment for their children
    • to ease/escape tensions/arguments w/ parents/PILs/other family
    • to be able to reinvent themselves/"rewrite" their personal history w/o interference from other family members/ILs
    • other
  2. 2. What, in your opinion, are the main reasons older people move a long distance from AC (adult children)/CIL (children-in-law)/other family members (check all that apply)?

• physical or social climate of a region
    • to fullfull a longtime goal/dream (like retiring to a condo in Florida)
    • to move closer to other relatives or friends of their generation
    • to ease/escape tensions/arguments w/ AC/CIL/other family
    • to be able to reinvent themselves/"rewrite" their personal history w/o interference from other family members/ILs
    • other

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The Carol King lyrics quoted in the title speak of someone being "so far away." And in our very mobile society, people often relocate a long distance away from family, even, as we can see in this forum, from parents/GPs or, for that matter, from adult sons/daughters and GC (grandchildren). (Yes, I realize the Carol King song was, most likely, about a sweetheart.) And they do so, apparently, for a variety of reasons - better jobs, health issues, seeking "space" from tensions w/ other family member, etc.

So I'm wondering what you think is/are the most common reason(s) for moving so far away. Please take the poll above and comment below, as well....

Edited by RoseRed135
title

For us, we've never lived anything but long distance from both my FOO and MIL.

Our first big move (about 4 hrs) was for Wolf's work.

Our next big move (provinces) was for climate, combined w/always wanting to live in the mountains.

Our last HUGE move was cost of living thing. We could afford to buy a house here (and did). No way we could afford it anywhere else we lived.

@ImpishMom - Thanks for your detailed response!

@All - Any other thoughts? experiences?

Sometimes I think people have to move for health reasons and climate issues.  That would maybe be the older people.  For younger people I believe it is job or military reasons.  In my daughters case, her husband was discharged from the military and he decided he wanted to move back to where his family was so she went with him.