• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Should grandparents get paid for babysitting?

27 posts in this topic

Just found this GP.com article on the idea of paying GPs for babysitting:
http://www.grandparents.com/family-and-relationships/caring-for-children/pay-grandparents-for-babysitting?Comment_page=2

We've talked about this before in here, but this article (and the responses to it) run the gamut of attitudes, all the way from "GPs should definitely get paid for babysitting!" to "No way! It's a privilege to watch the grands, and I wouldn't take a cent!"

What do you think? Should GPs/other relatives get paid for watching their GC/relative kids? As much as a daycare center or professional nanny? Just enough to cover any expenses they may incur (gas, food, etc)? By a return of favors (mowing their lawn, for example, or doing their home repairs)? By an occasional special gift or dinner out, etc? Or do you feel the time w/ the GC/relative kids is "payment" enough?

Just like most other things, there is no one-size-fits-all answer.  

Whether or not a GP gets or accepts payment and the ACs offer payment is going to depend on all of their circumstances as well as that of the children being cared for.  I've cared for some children that are a pleasure and others who behaved so poorly, I wouldn't care for again no matter how much I got paid.  

IME, GPs that are in fairly good health and can keep up with the children being cared for are more than happy to babysit their grandchildren for date-night, appointments and other rare occasions and don't want and will even flatly refuse payment.  Although, when there is a good relationship between GP and AC there is usually give and take in the relationship and ACs help GPs in other ways (yard work, house maintenance, or other needs the GP may have).  However, in more difficult relationships, there can be too much scorekeeping going on, so childcare would only complicate the relationship further. 

IMHO, GPs who essentially provide daycare for children do deserve something whether it be in the form of cash payment or other agreed upon arrangement.  A friend of mine paid for her MIL's medical insurance in exchange for childcare.  Another friend, who owned her own cleaning business, provided maid services and her husband's landscaping business did the yard maintenance for her parents in exchange for childcare.

Where I live there are subsidies available for income-qualified, working parents to help with childcare expenses.  Usually it is paid to a licensed childcare provider, but the subsidy is also available if a relative provides the care and meets certain requirements.  I don't believe the rate is as high as if it were paid to a licensed provider, but I can see where it would be a good fit for some folks.  

Wow...I'm embarrassed to say that I have never even once considered the idea of paying my parents or being paid as a grandparent.  

If we are talking about daily childcare as in replacing paid daycare that a parent needs to be able to work, then YES--by all means--a grandparent could and should be compensated.  Maybe it's a little lower rate, but heck, think about the benefits and all the positives of not having to have an outside person watch the children and maybe it's worth paying more!  Or at least the same.

As far as date nights, a few weekends here or there--no, I just don't think that's the way I want to work with my own grandkids (someday).  I want to pay it forward, like my parents did for me and be the welcome relief my own kids will need from their children.

1 person likes this

Family, childcare, and money is a two sided sword. 

You first have to figure out if it is childcare or a play date. Did the parents ask GP to babysit and the parents are working or something or did the GP say can I see the kids on Saturday and you can have a date.

is it an infrequent favor covered by reciprocity. In which payment isn't money it is favors exchanged back and forth.

if GP are regularly babysitting so AC can work or attend school etc I really think that the AC needs to pay a fair wage of the going rate. This also means the GP is more of an employee and the relationship should be more business like. Many GP don't want this type of relationship.

Thanks for these interesting replies, ladies!

@grandtoGREAT - No need to be "embarrassed." I'm sure you're not the only one who "never" thought of it. No doubt, there are many GPs who don't/wouldn't expect to be paid for watching their grands. Granted, though, nowadays, there seems to me to be an increasing amount who do/would (or maybe I'm just hearing about it more due to the Internet), especially if they do daily/frequent childcare.

@ All - Anyone else have any thoughts/experiences/observations to share on this topic?

My son gave me a bag of fertilizer once after I had driven down and stayed overnight with granddaughter.  The best part, I didn't have to drive all over the city hunting it.

1 person likes this

For an occasional days overnight visit, weekend, I would not want to/expect to be paid and would enjoy the opportunity to spend time with grandkids.  If I was performing day care all day/all week, then I would expect the parents to provide for their children (food, snacks and maybe even pay the price for a outing).  I would hope that adult children would think of or ask me what they could do to repay me (if not in cash, then in house help, etc) the same as they might do for a friend.  Taking on such a full time commitment should (IMO) be working out in advance so the expectations are understood, boundaries, limits, etc.  Communication is key.  Can't expect either party to be a mind reader.

On 7/7/2017 at 7:54 PM, SueSTx said:

My son gave me a bag of fertilizer once after I had driven down and stayed overnight with granddaughter.  The best part, I didn't have to drive all over the city hunting it.

I love it! Totally get how that was appreciated in more ways than one-

Thank you all for this topic. This is the situation I am in currently. I have been the primary caregiver to 2 grand kids ages 9 &11. Mother can't take care of them, I am the mother of their father. I stepped up to the plate to take care of them even tho I am have been on disability for the last 5.5 years. I get disability income but it is about 1/3 rd of what my son makes working. Anyways, he is now going off on me about how other GP's don't ask for money to "babysit" their own GC's. I asked for reimbursement for the latest round of clothing I had to buy because he never buys them any clothes. I get them around 6AM, 5 days a week, take them to school & pick up, have them all day on summer vacations, make all their meals, make their school lunches, wash the laundry, take them to doctors/dentists/hair cuts/play dates etc etc etc. Some night he doesn't pick them up until 8PM and sometimes he works OT so I have them even longer. I feel that I do way more than "babysit" but apparently he thinks I have some kind of scam going on to get money from him. I am totally floored. This has become my entire life I feel like I am actually raising them. I have no time to do anything I want to do and It is hard for me to get up so early too. Am I being unreasonable to ask for him to reimburse me for a small amount of my expenses? I pay for all the food, all the gas, all of everything. I will NOT be shopping for school supplies/clothes this year, learning my hard lessons now. I am a loving grandma but this is just too much. The lack of appreciation after making such great sacrifices for these children is just appalling to me. ANy thoughts?

8 minutes ago, angelgirl61 said:

Thank you all for this topic. This is the situation I am in currently. I have been the primary caregiver to 2 grand kids ages 9 &11. Mother can't take care of them, I am the mother of their father. I stepped up to the plate to take care of them even tho I am have been on disability for the last 5.5 years. I get disability income but it is about 1/3 rd of what my son makes working. Anyways, he is now going off on me about how other GP's don't ask for money to "babysit" their own GC's. I asked for reimbursement for the latest round of clothing I had to buy because he never buys them any clothes. I get them around 6AM, 5 days a week, take them to school & pick up, have them all day on summer vacations, make all their meals, make their school lunches, wash the laundry, take them to doctors/dentists/hair cuts/play dates etc etc etc. Some night he doesn't pick them up until 8PM and sometimes he works OT so I have them even longer. I feel that I do way more than "babysit" but apparently he thinks I have some kind of scam going on to get money from him. I am totally floored. This has become my entire life I feel like I am actually raising them. I have no time to do anything I want to do and It is hard for me to get up so early too. Am I being unreasonable to ask for him to reimburse me for a small amount of my expenses? I pay for all the food, all the gas, all of everything. I will NOT be shopping for school supplies/clothes this year, learning my hard lessons now. I am a loving grandma but this is just too much. The lack of appreciation after making such great sacrifices for these children is just appalling to me. ANy thoughts?

Other GP do ask for money to "babysit" their grandkids.  I get paid for watching my grandson after school. I give my daughter a good deal on this but that is not really the point. Your son needs to know there are other GP who do charge for babysitting their own grandkids. I am sure there are others here that will confirm this for you and then you can tell your son this. 

Posted (edited)

So I have a question.

Would it be OK for me to pay my kids for NOT babysitting.  Both my sister and I were very lucky to have "free" babysitters.   My mother full time babysat my nephew since he was a baby and my sister worked full time Mon- Fri day shift.  She provided afterschool care until he practically graduated.  He had friends in the neighborhood.  I lived 2 1/2 hours away from my mother so she couldn't help.  However, my MIL drove 1 1/4 hours 1 or 2 days a week to cover the off shifts, not weekends I worked.  My husband covered the rest. 

I am extremely grateful to my MIL for doing this. 

However, neither my mother or my MIL worked.  Ever.  They raised their kids as SAHMs and after we left the nest, never got jobs.  I work.  My son lives 3 hours away.  Even if I could, I couldn't provide more than an occasional day here and there due to distance.  However, since I work, and want to keep working due to the unaffordability of health care (plus I think I'd be bored), I was thinking about giving them money to pay for childcare.  ETA- because I'm still working I have the "extra" money to help.   If I quit working I don't know if I would.

Thoughts?

Edited by skipped

2 hours ago, skipped said:

So I have a question.

Would it be OK for me to pay my kids for NOT babysitting.  Both my sister and I were very lucky to have "free" babysitters.   My mother full time babysat my nephew since he was a baby and my sister worked full time Mon- Fri day shift.  She provided afterschool care until he practically graduated.  He had friends in the neighborhood.  I lived 2 1/2 hours away from my mother so she couldn't help.  However, my MIL drove 1 1/4 hours 1 or 2 days a week to cover the off shifts, not weekends I worked.  My husband covered the rest. 

I am extremely grateful to my MIL for doing this. 

However, neither my mother or my MIL worked.  Ever.  They raised their kids as SAHMs and after we left the nest, never got jobs.  I work.  My son lives 3 hours away.  Even if I could, I couldn't provide more than an occasional day here and there due to distance.  However, since I work, and want to keep working due to the unaffordability of health care (plus I think I'd be bored), I was thinking about giving them money to pay for childcare.  ETA- because I'm still working I have the "extra" money to help.   If I quit working I don't know if I would.

Thoughts?

I don't remember how many GC you have, is this 2nd or 8th GC?
Building on no knowledge  (1) I'd do it if I could keep up the payments for GC#8 as easily as GC#2 (all my AC treated equally). (2) I'd do it if I felt I wouldn't resent how they spent their money I "saved" for them with my payments. (3) I'd do it if I knew my AC wouldn't be offended assuming I thought they couldn't self support.

Anonymous poster hash: ea945...f93

3 hours ago, skipped said:

So I have a question.Would it be OK for me to pay my kids for NOT babysitting....  since I work, and want to keep working due to the unaffordability of health care (plus I think I'd be bored), I was thinking about giving them money to pay for childcare.  ETA- because I'm still working I have the "extra" money to help.   If I quit working I don't know if I would.

Thoughts?

IMO. this is very generous of you to even think about, skipped! :give_rose:

I like Incognito's list (below). About #3 - if I offered, I'd point out that I know they don't need the help (unless they clearly do), but that I would just like to do this, anyway.

About #2 - I would have to be very clear, first, in my own mind and heart as to whether or not there were any strings (e.g. Would I want input on what kind of childcare they used or would I expect more family visits in return, etc?) I don't think there would be - and I would reassure them about that. But if there were, I'd let them know upfront.

About the possibility that you might "quit working" at some point - If you think that might be before they're finished w/ childcare - and if that would impact your ability to continue to pay for it - then I think you need to let them know that, too, so they can be prepared for it.

And, of course, if, in the end, they decline the offer, I know you know to accept it graciously. :)

1 hour ago, INCOGNITO said:

Building on no knowledge  (1) I'd do it if I could keep up the payments for GC#8 as easily as GC#2 (all my AC treated equally). (2) I'd do it if I felt I wouldn't resent how they spent their money I "saved" for them with my payments. (3) I'd do it if I knew my AC wouldn't be offended assuming I thought they couldn't self support.

Anonymous poster hash: ea945...f93

4 hours ago, angelgirl61 said:

Glad you appreciate this topic, angelgirl61! And glad you brought your concerns to us! Welcome!

As you can see, both here and in the linked article, a lot of GPs do get paid for babysitting, especially if they're doing regular childcare, as you are. But you're not even asking for that - just for money/reimbursement for money you spend on your GC! IOWs. it's to help you take care of DS' (dear son's) children - how can he object to that?!

You definitely do a great deal for those GC - and by extension for DS. And bless you for that! You're giving those kids the parenting that neither their mom or dad seems to be able/willing to give them. (MO, they (and DS) are very lucky to have you in their lives! I'm sure, on some level, DS does appreciate that - and if he doesn't, I do - and so, I'm sure will many others who read your post.

Yes, you're clearly more than a "babysitter," IMO.  "Fulltime caregiver" or "nanny" would be a more appropriate term. And I totally get that you sometimes "feel like (you are) actually raising them." In fact, if you make any of the significant decisions about them (schooling, number of extracurricular activities, style of clothing, etc.) and/or teach them their values, etc.- if this is the case, then you certainly are "helping to raise" or "coparenting" them.

Not only are you not being "unreasonable" to ask DS to reimburse you, but you have a right to set some limits as to what tasks you will and won't do. - or how often - whether it's "shopping for school clothes/supplies" or taking the kids to play dates or whatever. I take it you trust that DS will do the shopping if you don't, and, no doubt, that's one way to solve some of the money problem. But it's also a way to set some boundaries for yourself and get some "me-time."  I suggest just letting him know that you "can't afford" to spend on the kids' school stuff anymore or "can't spend" more than this/that amount altogether, etc. And that - as you told us - it has become "just too much" for you to do certain chores, etc.  IMO, you need to decide what you're willing/able to do and then let him handle the rest.

Hopefully, you can do this w/o criticizing him or complaining. Regardless, he may still get angry. But if you stick to your guns, no doubt, he'll find a way to deal. Unless you're afraid he'll do an about-face and not let you see the kids, at all, then, IMO, it's worth taking a stand. And you may feel it's worth it, regardless.

Please keep us posted and let us help you through this!

1 person likes this

Thank you RoseRed for your response, someone who gets it! Yes to everything that you posted. He started off saying that he would get a full time babysitter for them when I called him out for telling me that had worked OT until 8PM the other night and then posted on FB that he gone golfing. Not the first time either. I SO had to calm myself down before I told him to go ahead and get one, knowing that the kids would be the ones suffering if I did. They don't even want to go home with him most of the time. They know who consistently is reliable to feed them, clothe them and help them. I started buying their clothes because he never did! I couldn't send to school in ripped, stained clothes or ones 2 sizes too small, so I just went and bought my own. They have their own bedroom, clothes, toys etc at my house, just like they live here. Actually, they refer to  my house as "home" and his house as "dad's house", so what does that tell you? I could never, ever just send them off to a babysitter after their mother deserting them. 

It means so much to me that someone understands where I am coming from. I have friends who think I am crazy for doing this but who else is going to do it? Thank you for the suggestion of setting limits, as I am one who isn't good with setting boundaries but I know that it is time to do just that. I have decided to let him take care of buying what it is that is needed and see how it goes. I have already bought some school clothes and plan on telling him that I still expect payment for them. I will not be getting anything else unless school start comes and he still hasn't gotten what they need. I am not going to waste my time or energy thinking about what he doesn't get, because I can't change it. I will continue to keep what is best for the children as my highest priority and taking the best care of myself that I possibly can. I have met a new friend that has children their ages, that is willing to babysit for me when I need some relief and if I have to pay her myself, I will. I fear my son is abusive just like my husband. If I can keep the kids away from that, then my job is done. That is my goal.

I am so happy that I found this forum. I plan on spending some time reading posts and maybe someday be able to offer some support to others. Thank you for having me!

Welcome angelgirl61....I totally get where you are coming from, but there are some serious boundary issues at play here. There are a couple of ways to perhaps start dealing with this.

1) Save all of your receipts documenting what you've spent and give him a copy while letting him know you expect to be reimbursed. Remind him your income is fixed.

2) Work on your dynamic with your son. He seems to be under the impression that your life is not important separate from him. It's time for some open/honest communication. Treat it like a business meeting if you can...and you may have to redirect him back to the subject at hand (such as telling you he'll just get a sitter for the kids if you won't do it) "that's not what we're discussing" in a calm tone might help)

2 people like this

3 hours ago, angelgirl61 said:

Thank you RoseRed for your response, someone who gets it! Glad to be of some comfort! Yes to everything that you posted. He started off saying that he would get a full time babysitter for them when I called him out for telling me that had worked OT until 8PM the other night and then posted on FB that he gone golfing. Not the first time either. Grrr! In the future, I'm thinking, you may want to take his claims of "OT" w/ a huge grain of salt.I SO had to calm myself down before I told him to go ahead and get one, knowing that the kids would be the ones suffering if I did.

Hmmm... He probably wouldn't hire someone - he doesn't even want to pay for their clothes, apparently. But I've heard of it happening, both online and off. So I don't blame you for being cautious. I get that you don't want to risk further disrupting the kids lives.

They don't even want to go home with him most of the time. They know who consistently is reliable to feed them, clothe them and help them. I started buying their clothes because he never did! I couldn't send to school in ripped, stained clothes or ones 2 sizes too small, so I just went and bought my own. They have their own bedroom, clothes, toys etc at my house, just like they live here. Actually, they refer to  my house as "home" and his house as "dad's house", so what does that tell you? I could never, ever just send them off to a babysitter after their mother deserting them. 

Ok, all this^^^^ sheds a new light on the situation. Perhaps you simply need to be more careful to limit what you spend. Buy them new clothes, yes, for example, but maybe not as much as you'd like - certainly not more than you can easily afford (but I see below that, perhaps, this is what you're doing).

It means so much to me that someone understands where I am coming from. I have friends who think I am crazy for doing this but who else is going to do it? Thank you for the suggestion of setting limits, as I am one who isn't good with setting boundaries but I know that it is time to do just that. I have decided to let him take care of buying what it is that is needed and see how it goes. I have already bought some school clothes and plan on telling him that I still expect payment for them. I hope you keep receipts as Mame suggested - even if you don't present him w/ them till the kids are older. I will not be getting anything else unless school start comes and he still hasn't gotten what they need. I am not going to waste my time or energy thinking about what he doesn't get, because I can't change it. I will continue to keep what is best for the children as my highest priority and taking the best care of myself that I possibly can. I hear you! I have met a new friend that has children their ages, that is willing to babysit for me when I need some relief and if I have to pay her myself, I will. Cool! And maybe you could trade off babysitting instead of having to pay her in money?

I fear my son is abusive just like my husband. I was worried about this, having read your post about your H! If I can keep the kids away from that, then my job is done. That is my goal. Sounds like you're the hero in their lives! :give_rose:

I am so happy that I found this forum. I plan on spending some time reading posts and maybe someday be able to offer some support to others. Thank you for having me!

Glad to have you hear and to see that you've already become quite an active poster!

Posted (edited)

@angelgirl61 - Thinking about this some more... If DS ever again "threatens" to get a hired babysitter (if that's what he was saying), you might want to remind him that if he's late picking up the kids from them, he'll have to pay them OT. ;) 

But maybe not, if you're afraid of what else you might say in anger and frustration. Probably wiser to have held your tongue.

Edited by RoseRed135
1 person likes this

On 8/2/2017 at 7:24 PM, angelgirl61 said:

Thank you RoseRed for your response, someone who gets it! Yes to everything that you posted. He started off saying that he would get a full time babysitter for them when I called him out for telling me that had worked OT until 8PM the other night and then posted on FB that he gone golfing. Not the first time either. I SO had to calm myself down before I told him to go ahead and get one

My husband and I don't like threats or trash talking, not at all. We're having a bit of a fuss, today, different from what you describe, but makes us similarly furious. I'm sure the fussy person thinks they can have their own way with all the rest of the family, but that just won't play here. We won't be held hostage or threatened, you don't have to be either. Let your son go ahead and get a babysitter, he can compare notes with the fussy person who thinks our family doesn't help or support said person. Hummmmmpppfff.

Janelle, that you so much for your response! I totally understand the " held hostage or threatened" feeling! I feel the same way, I am not going to let that stop me from doing what I feel is best. They have their opinion and I have mine. Isn't it amazing that sometimes no matter how you try to help (in a nice way, not a controlling way) some people just don't see it that way? That is exactly the conclusion I came to , I know what my good intentions are, no matter what he thinks. If he wants to pay a full time babysitter, have at it. I am not going to bend down to your accusations and totally unjust thinking. That is HIS problem, not mine. I am just distancing myself from him for now.  Best wishes for a successful conclusion to your issue!! Hang in there!

Rose, oh believe me, I let him know all the things that he can take care of if he moves these kids to a baby sitter. Funny, they keep showing up at my house at 6AM every morning. BUT he is picking them up at 5PM like I told he was to do, so that is progress  but from past experience It won't last. . Now to just keep them from wanting to spend the night every night....I am beginning to think I am doing something wrong here LOL! 

My SIL  wouldn't even pay a baby sitter that's why he usually asked me most and his Mother occasionally. Cheap is not even a word to describe him.  It was strickley money that he had us babysit, he would rather have no sitter, have us, or take the kids if he could even if an adult occasion.  

Posted (edited)

One of the reasons YDD has generally turned to me for childcare is that she couldn't afford to pay a sitter. So while I appreciate the idea of GPs getting paid for babysitting/caregiving, I don't expect it from her. But food, clothes, etc are taken care of by her, esp since I most often watch the kids at their house. If I had to pay for their needs in their own home, then there would be an issue.

I do expect (and generally get) respect for my time, etc. More frequent shows of appreciation would be nice, but I do get some of that (on my bday, etc.), and I know underneath it all, she appreciates all I've done to help out w/ her kids. What I value most is the time I get to spend w/ my DGC.  Though it can be tiring, no doubt, it isn't as much now that they're older and more independent. And I know in the not so distant future, they'll have less interest in/time for me (it's beginning to happen already). So the moments I have w/ them now mean a lot. Money couldn't buy that. :)

Edited by RoseRed135
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

On 8/4/2017 at 10:20 PM, angelgirl61 said:

Rose, oh believe me, I let him know all the things that he can take care of if he moves these kids to a baby sitter. Funny, they keep showing up at my house at 6AM every morning. BUT he is picking them up at 5PM like I told he was to do, so that is progress  but from past experience It won't last. . Now to just keep them from wanting to spend the night every night....I am beginning to think I am doing something wrong here LOL! 

Glad he's picking the kids up I time for now, angerlgirl! Guess he thought it over and decided he doesn't want to have to pay a babysitter, LOL!

About the kids wanting to stay over - It's not unusual for kids to want to stay at their GPs' house if they've been having a good time there. But I'm wondering about how often do they actually end up staying? Given what you've told us, do you think they have any reason to feel afraid/unsafe at their dad's?

BTW, in case you hadn't noticed, you now have over 10 posts to your name here. So you can open your own thread/topic if you would like, :)

Edited by RoseRed135

Hi Rose, thanks for the kind words. Yes, I have been wondering the same about them not wanting to go home with their Dad. I keep them one night a week and then let them stay one extra night a piece alone, so they don't have to share with each other. They are at the age that they need some alone space. I get the impression form the kids that my instincts are right on and that they don't really want to spend much time with their father.  I've been told that they can't have food unless they clean their room (which is a huge trigger for me as I don't believe in using food as a punishment) etc etc etc. Honestly, I think my son wants to look like the good father but actually making that happen is a whole another story. I was told today that he would make their lunches this school year and my GD said" like that's going to happen" LOL. He hasn't paid me for the clothes I bought but I decided that I would rather be prepared and just bought school clothes for them in case he doesn't come thru. I will do the same with supplies and lunches. I am not going to make these kids pay just because he doesn't or can't understand how this works. I would rather go without some things than take it out on them. It is very sad really because they are very loving, kind kids. They just need on consistency and love.  I am really very happy that I am not able to work and can take care of them the best that I can. Thank you for understanding. 

And no, I didn't know that I already had 10 posts. Great, now I don't have to hijack some else's posts. Sorry!