• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Salads for summer!

20 posts in this topic

Summer has arrived for many of us here or will soon. And for many look to salads as a healthy refresher in the hot weather. Got a new - or "old favorite" - salad recipe to share?

Mayo Free Waldorf Salad

Salad:

• 4 tart apples diced (do not peel)
  • 2 sweet apples diced (do not peel)
  • 2-3 ribs celery diced
  • 1 cup roughly chopped walnuts

Dressing:

• 6-8 oz pineapple juice
  • 1 TBS cornstarch

Directions

• Mix cornstarch & juice, heat slowly, stirring frequently until it reaches a fully boil, boil 30-60 seconds...cool
  • Combine apples, celery & nuts 
  • Pour juice mixture over fruit, chill to blend the flavors

It's easy, healthy, colorful & yummy!

allrecipes.com  #15645 hot-chicken-salad-casserole  Delicious for luncheons. 

I love chicken salads

Italian potato salad lol .. :)

Potato, tomato and onion .. oil and vinegar .. salt and pepper to taste- That's my favorite way to prepare it .. but .. you could add olives, fresh mozzarella and oregano, capers so forth -- with crusty bread ..

Or ..

Tomato, fresh mozzarella and black olives with oil and vinegar .. -- with crusty bread ..

or ..

Antipasto .. lettuce, cured meats, oil and vinegar, onion .. some add anchovies, capers, artichoke hearts .. marinated cauliflower and carrot .. -- with crusty bread ..

Tuna salad with walnut, grape, raisin and apple ..

Cucumber sliced thin and vidalia onions sliced super thin with tablespoon mayo, 1/2 tea of vinigar and 1/2 tea dill.  Some people use yogurt instead of mayo.  Refrigerate.

2 people like this

Yum! These all sound great!

Keep 'em comin', people!

Tonight I had chicken and romaine with bacon and blue cheese and blue cheese dressing-

On 6/25/2017 at 6:03 PM, FreeGirl said:

Cucumber sliced thin and vidalia onions sliced super thin with tablespoon mayo, 1/2 tea of vinigar and 1/2 tea dill.  Some people use yogurt instead of mayo.  Refrigerate.

Love this .. ^

I made pimento cheese and potato salad yesterday.  We are set for a quick lunch and an easy supper for the next couple of days.  When it is in the 100* temperature range, I want something cold to eat.

1 person likes this

Last night I made a salad out of chicken, cooked asparagus, goat cheese and strawberries with a bit of sour cream ..

1 person likes this

Baked Dorito Taco Salad Casserole is comforting when air conditioning is freezing the cook.  

This Salad is some work, but you will not be disappointed! My DH hates salad but Loves this one! This is my go to salad if I am going to have lunch in the Garden as I can make it all and plate right at the end... it makes a pretty plate!

Steak Panzanella Salad

You will need:

Chibatta or other bread (I have used Bagettes that work well too just needs to be a harder bread :) )

Yellow and Red Bell Peppers

Steak (since I like my steak med rare, I like NY strip for this, but have used others)

Arugula (this I cannot substute its the best for this salad)

capers (2ish TBS)

garlic (2 Cloves)

Parmesan (I prefer fresh)

Olive Oil, Salt, pepper, red wine vinegar (or apple cider), balsamic vinegar

Steps:

Chiabatta or bread, cube, drizzle with olive oil, add some salt and pepper and toast in the oven

Cube the peppers, drizzle with olive oil, add some salt and pepper and roast in the oven (I roast in the same pan I used for the bread when its finished)

Crush the Garlic into a paste, I do this by adding some salt and then running the flat knife over it and crushing it into the cutting board until I get a paste or you can use a mortar and pestle.... Add to a bowl, chop the capers, add to the same bowl, add some olive oil and some red wine vinegar, salt and pepper, that's the dressing. 

Cook your steak in a pan, I just do salt, pepper, and olive oil (or grill Yummy)

Assemble:

Add bread, peppers, Arugula, to the dressing.  Toss, Plate.

Cut the steak into bites (after letting it set) and add on top of the salad

Add Parmesan on top, and drizzle with balsamic.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Tobias41 said:

This Salad is some work, but you will not be disappointed! My DH hates salad but Loves this one! This is my go to salad if I am going to have lunch in the Garden as I can make it all and plate right at the end... it makes a pretty plate!

Steak Panzanella Salad

You will need:

Chibatta or other bread (I have used Bagettes that work well too just needs to be a harder bread :) )

Steak (since I like my steak med rare, I like NY strip for this, but have used others)

capers (2ish TBS)

garlic (2 Cloves)

Steps:

Chiabatta or bread, cube, drizzle with olive oil, add some salt and pepper and toast in the oven

Cube the peppers, drizzle with olive oil, add some salt and pepper and roast in the oven (I roast in the same pan I used for the bread when its finished)

Crush the Garlic into a paste, I do this by adding some salt and then running the flat knife over it and crushing it into the cutting board until I get a paste or you can use a mortar and pestle.... Add to a bowl, chop the capers, add to the same bowl, add some olive oil and some red wine vinegar, salt and pepper, that's the dressing. 

Cook your steak in a pan, I just do salt, pepper, and olive oil (or grill Yummy)

Assemble:

Sounds amazing!

On 6/29/2017 at 1:56 PM, SueSTx said:

I made pimento cheese and potato salad yesterday.  We are set for a quick lunch and an easy supper for the next couple of days.  When it is in the 100* temperature range, I want something cold to eat.

I made this for my husband and he enjoyed it- He's all about pimento cheese .. :)

10 hours ago, Tobias41 said:

Steak Panzanella Salad

You will need:

capers (2ish TBS)

garlic (2 Cloves)

Steps:

Assemble:

Wow!

Sorry it was a long recipes, its actually a combination of pinterest and a friends recipe... But I mostly hate salads... this is the only one I love and will make for dinner :)

I raise lots of big sweet onions and they are ready now and don't keep all winter so we start eating them.

I like to slice onions, cucumber and red pepper into a glass bowl.  Add equal parts vinegar and water and about 1/2 as much sugar, salt and pepper to taste.  Set overnight or longer before eating.  These are great with a simple sandwich and especially BBQ.  I usually have at least two bowls in the frig. at all times.  I reuse the liquid a couple of times before I start over.

1 person likes this

44 minutes ago, SueSTx said:

I raise lots of big sweet onions and they are ready now and don't keep all winter so we start eating them.

I like to slice onions, cucumber and red pepper into a glass bowl.  Add equal parts vinegar and water and about 1/2 as much sugar, salt and pepper to taste.  Set overnight or longer before eating.  These are great with a simple sandwich and especially BBQ.  I usually have at least two bowls in the frig. at all times.  I reuse the liquid a couple of times before I start over.

This sounds yummy! I love pickled side dishes