• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LaToyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
GreatMimi

Great Grandparenting

Question

Are there any discussions going on from Great Grandparents on this forum? If so, would you be so kind as to direct me to those discussions.

Edited by SueSTx

8 answers to this question

3 hours ago, GreatMimi said:

Are there any discussions going on from Great Grandparents on this forum? If so, would you be so kind as to direct me to those discussions.

There is now - check out "All About Great Grandparents" in the General Gabbery forum (scroll down the Index page) and you'll find it. I'm at the library where I can't copy and paste. But later, I'll c & p the link here, unless someone else is thoughtful enough to do it first.

Meanwhile, glad to have you aboard, GreatMimi! (I imagine that means "great grandmother"). Welcome!  :) 

1 person likes this

As of six days ago, I have become a great grandmother. I am soon to be 62 years old (July 27) and feel like this is the age that people generally start having grandchildren not great- grandchildren. However, I am thankful that I am able to see a great-grandchild come into this world. The reason for my asking about a great-grandparent discussion thread is because I have been experiencing a lot of different emotions and feelings ever since our little one was born. One of the things I am dealing with is my role as a "great" rather than a "grand" parent. My heart wants to be a part of this child's life and my granddaughter's life but it isn't as easy as before when I was the grandmother because now my daughter is the grandmother and my granddaughter sees nothing wrong in having every person they ever knew stop by and see their little bundle and the baby isn't even a week old. Gone are the days of taking pictures and putting them in picture albums. Now they post everything to Facebook and unless you register with Facebook, you are not going to see pictures but a limited few because they don't have time to send them individually or to wait and put them in an album and show you when you come to visit. Things have sure changed since I had children and my daughter had her children and I am only 61.

When my mothers first grandchild was born, she still had teenagers at home and didn't feel "ready" to be the grandmother.  By the time the younger ones came along, she "loved" being the grandmother.  She was 75 when the first great was born and she was ready to be the "great" and just be an audience to all the cuteness.  She still attends activities when she can and yet she likes everybody to quite down at her bedtime also.

I was pushing 30 when I had my first baby and was early 50's when the first grand came along.  My grandchildren are 14, 8 and 14 months.  I have found it is harder to handle each and every one as an infant with more body aches and pains as I age.  I no longer hold infants because they are just too squirmy and I am afraid of dropping one.   Now, it is even harder to get up and down in the floor to play with the youngest.   I know I won't be able to care for my great grands in future years,  it will be their grandmothers turn to babysit and change poopy diapers but I do hope to be the best cheerleader they might ever have.

Yes, times change and as we age we need to change if we don't want to be left behind.  My niece requested that I join fb if I wanted to be kept in the loop of her daughters lives.  My nephew is good about posting pics of his son.  Hubby and I check each day to see if DIL has posted any new pics of her two while our daughter is more private with posting pictures of her teenager.  Yes, times have changed since she was born and she is a little more private than her younger cousins are about posting pictures online.  This just seems to be the way the "world turns" now and if we want to be a part, we need to join in.

It's probably a good 15 years or so before great-grandma-hood finds me....I'll be the cheerleader as well. My xMIL had 4 kids, 11 grands and now has at least 16 great grands....She's as involved as geography allows.

@GreatMimi - Congratulations on the new GGB (great-grandbaby)! I've responded to you further in the Gabbery thread (happily, Sue provided the link, above - just click it on). Hope to hear from you some more over there! :)

Edited by RoseRed135

23 hours ago, GreatMimi said:

I have become a great grandmother. I am soon to be 62 years old (July 27) and feel like this is the age that people generally start having grandchildren not great- grandchildren...... my granddaughter sees nothing wrong in having every person they ever knew stop by and see their little bundle and the baby isn't even a week old.  Yep, everybody is different, we didn't have visits after the hospital visit for several weeks ... preferences.

When my folks became GPs they felt too young/hadn't retired (they had 22 GC, 2 were born after they passed).

My 4 sisters (2 have passed) are 10-5 years older than me and retired, (15 AC and 35 GC and a few GGC). One sister/couple are involved GGPs, my other sister/couple is out enjoying life. Some of their GC have GGPs.

We were very young GPs (5 AC, 17 GC and counting). Beings we are still working out of town - we're detached/fairly uninvolved GPs. Our GC don't have any GGPs on our side, I'm not quite sure about the other sides.

My brother is in his late 50s, with 2 very young children. He and his wife are far from retirement. Our parents had passed before his kids were born. His PILs are retired, in their 70s, are very involved with the 2 grandkids, their daughter's life and business-practice.

Our older GC (boys 14 and younger) have been asking a lot of questions about procreation lately. We can only assume it's mere confusion/curiosity from all their talky pals and watching what goes on around themselves - without anything else happening. No GGC arriving soon (hopefully) from 14 year old boy-fathers.  ;)

As usual -- everybody is different, has their own preferences and expectations.

No doubt, this is a lovely conversation. But Member Questions is really just for queries about this community, such as GreatMimi asked in her first post here. This thread has gone beyond that. For this reason, we mods have decided to lock it. Please feel free to continue the discussion of GGPs in the General Gabbery thread created for this purpose. Sue provided the link above, but I'll do so again here:

Edited by RoseRed135