• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
SueSTx

Current read

13 posts in this topic

Hubby and I go to the county library at least twice a month and we read somewhere between 10 to 20 books each month.

Hubby used to read westerns, then anything written by D ick Francis and now he reads murder mysteries mostly.

This week, I picked up The Pocket Wife by Susan Crawford.  It tells of a woman struggling with bipolar disorder and the horrific possibility that she is a murder.  Very interesting read so far.  I will check out her other books also.  I have no personal experience with anyone bipolar and it is eye opening in that respect also.

1 person likes this

A friend found another Rosamund Pilcher novel Coming Home...its a big, juicy looking book I'll be starting soon 

My Mothers Kitchen: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and the Meaning of Life by Peter Gethers

Anything is Possible by Elizabeth Strout

"Scarcity: Why Having Too Little Means So Much" by Mullainathan and Shafir, 2013. This is a discussion of how scarcity in many areas - money, time, social relationships - leads us to make mistakes that can just make the problem worse. The authors look at scarcity as an issue of insufficient extra "slack" (money beyond the survival budget, or time beyond the essential tasks we have to do) or "bandwidth" that produces "tunnel vision."  I've been experimenting with interpreting hurtful behavior through the same lens - as a manifestation of scarcity of understanding on the part of the person being hurtful because of a lack of enough extra empathy that can be called on in demanding situations. Not sure how far this analogy can be pushed, but it helps me to get some distance and perspective when things happen that make me tense up and feel angry. 

2 people like this

1 hour ago, JuliaArmstrong said:

"Scarcity: Why Having Too Little Means So Much" by Mullainathan and Shafir, 2013. This is a discussion of how scarcity in many areas - money, time, social relationships - leads us to make mistakes that can just make the problem worse. The authors look at scarcity as an issue of insufficient extra "slack" (money beyond the survival budget, or time beyond the essential tasks we have to do) or "bandwidth" that produces "tunnel vision."  I've been experimenting with interpreting hurtful behavior through the same lens - as a manifestation of scarcity of understanding on the part of the person being hurtful because of a lack of enough extra empathy that can be called on in demanding situations. Not sure how far this analogy can be pushed, but it helps me to get some distance and perspective when things happen that make me tense up and feel angry. 

That's a good thing then, IMO.

Finally finished I Am The Messenger. I'ts been an 'at school' read during lunch. I enjoyed it very much. Same author who wrote The Book Thief. The characters are wonderfully well developed and the narration is believable. 

The Happiness Project: or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun, by Gretchen Rubin. 

2 people like this

Welcome Abuela, I see that you have been reading and responding across the forums.  It is nice to have you come aboard.

1 person likes this

She returns from war - Lee Collins. It’s about a Wild West where supernatural creatures are not uncommon and are hunted by a tough female gunslinger. It’s his second book on this character and I loved the first. 

A quick reread of Cheaper By the Dozen & it's sequel Bells On Their Toes....true stories, written by two of the children.

As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes

Yesterday afternoon I started Debbie Macomber's  "Any Dream Will Do".  I read a few pages again before falling asleep last night.  I woke up around 4:00 and finished it before I got up.  I have been a fan of hers for years, but I really enjoyed this story.

Totally different than anything I've been reading.