• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LaToyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

New chapter in the sad story of little Charlie Gard?

28 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Skatie21 said:

1. Otto Warmbier was not on life support when he was moved. He was unresponsive and semi comatose but was breathing independently. Charlie Gard could not breathe without constant  full ventilation. Otto Warmbiet had brain damage as a result of trauma. Charlie Gard had virtually no neurological function...he wasbrain dead...resulting from terminal genetic illness. There's a rather large difference between their two individual conditions.

2. Apparently any team assembled was not qualified. It matters if thy are qualified, not just willing

Ok ..

What I think struck me in you earlier post that I didn't consider was what if the parents refused to let them end life support-

But .. according to the way in which skipped explained the equipment it does make it sound, to me, that he could have been brought home to die .. no matter if doing so is considered wrong or right ..

I the end, for me, and apparently for the hospital and the court, the bottom line was that moving the baby home to die was not about what was best for the baby, but entirely about the parents wants for themselves. While I empathize with their grief, their need to have something go their way, their anger at the circumstances and feelings of powerlessness, evenwith all that their wants are simply not the point as their baby continued to suffer.

As all this went on, other parents are also losing their babies, ending life support, making hard choices and and coping with the realities. In the hospital, in hospice, and some at home, but why are these parents unique and why should they be able to demand that this large, busy Hospital bend over backward to accomodate their entirety logistically unsound wants?  I totally understand WANTING to take him home, but I also understand the hospital and courts ruling and, frankly, if it was about precious time with a baby who has no ability to even recognize "home" , then seems to me you want to pick your battles. 

Edited by Skatie21
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Komorebi said:

What I think struck me in you earlier post that I didn't consider was what if the parents refused to let them end life support-

IDK, but I suspect that this^^^^ was a major factor in the court's decision. (I could be totally wrong, of course.)

55 minutes ago, Skatie21 said:

... if it was about precious time with a baby who has no ability to even recognize "home"....

This ^^^^ is something I've wondered about - Why the emphasis on "home" when baby wouldn't even know the difference? W/ all due respect and understanding for the parents, this concern, IMO, totally reflected their perspective and their perspective alone.