• Announcements

    • LaToyaADMIN

      What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

      You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LaToyaADMIN

      Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

      We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
Komorebi

Boy Scout Jamboree

50 posts in this topic

What a shindig, huh? :) Does anyone else find it ironic that our president, who has been labeled a racist, is being chastised by parents who decided to allow their young sons to become members of a nearly all white organization? Tee hee ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Komorebi said:

What a shindig, huh? :) Does anyone else find it ironic that our president, who has been labeled a racist, is being chastised by parents who decided to allow their young sons to become members of a nearly all white organization? Tee hee ..

I don't find this funny.  Both my son's are Eagle Scouts.  The Boy Scouts  are not a racist organization.  They don't discriminate.  Non whites are free to join or not join.  That they choose not to join is not the fault of the Boy Scouts.

ETA-  Do you realize that you are insinuating that I am a racist because I have "allowed" my sons to join the  Boy Scouts.  SMH. 

Edited by skipped

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to agree with Skipped. Obama was a Boy Scout, for example.

I just feel bad for the whole lot of them. Those boys deserved a better display by POTUS. He has continued being an obnoxious travesty and an insult to the office.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, skipped said:

I don't find this funny.  Both my son's are Eagle Scouts.  The Boy Scouts  are not a racist organization.  They don't discriminate.  Non whites are free to join or not join.  That they choose not to join is not the fault of the Boy Scouts.

ETA-  Do you realize that you are insinuating that I am a racist because I have "allowed" my sons to join the  Boy Scouts.  SMH. 

skipped, the BSA does have a history of discrimination- And I did not insinuate, I asked a specific question- One either sees the irony or they don't-

Edited by Komorebi
extra word ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously, I am not aware that the boy scouts have a history of discriminating.    I personally have not observed it.  I don't think it ironic.  I  think you are going on a false asumption, that the people complaining about Trump are default racists by joining the organization and therefore have forfeited their right to complain.

Edited by skipped
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, skipped said:

Obviously, I am not aware that the boy scouts have a history of discriminating.    I personally have not observed it.  I don't think it ironic.  I  think you are going on a false asumption, that the people complaining about Trump are default racists by joining the organization and therefore have forfeited their right to complain.

That seems like a pretty spot-on summary of the original post, yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An organization with a history of discrimination and membership that's predominantly white invited a labeled racist to speak at their rally- Did nobody consider this scenario in advance? Or was it considered and then decided that damage control afterwards would be easier than not inviting the speaker to begin with?

I've stated facts, my question are valid- I've not assumed anything about anybody -- I asked- I do find it ironic that parents complained about this situation but I did not say anything about anyone forfeiting their right to voice their opinion or complain -- nor did I suggest the parents are racist-  

Edited by Komorebi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Komo, the "tee hee" deflated any serious argument you might have. Its true the Boy Scouts were segregated for many years, as was the military, schools in the South, 'restricted' neighborhoods & country clubs, the list goes on. Today, however, society has grown more inclusive and is desegregated by law. Historically there were BSA troops available for boys of other races....now its like 'neighborhood schools'...join the troop in your area.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The BSA has always invited the sitting POTUS to speak. We've just never had a disgusting pig like the one we've got now, who can't even be around children.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mame925 said:

Komo, the "tee hee" deflated any serious argument you might have. Its true the Boy Scouts were segregated for many years, as was the military, schools in the South, 'restricted' neighborhoods & country clubs, the list goes on. Today, however, society has grown more inclusive and is desegregated by law. Historically there were BSA troops available for boys of other races....now its like 'neighborhood schools'...join the troop in your area.

Mame, Ive changed tone, not tune, I still see the humor and irony in the situation -- neither deflate the facts that a man who has been labeled a racist was invited to speak to a crowd of predominantly white youth belonging to an organization with a history of discrimination- 

Theres that^^coupled with the fact that parents complained .. And Im not suggesting they didnt have a right to- Im suggesting that "somebody" out of hundreds and hundreds of adults, parents and staff, saw this circumstance coming .. and proceeded anyway ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, oscarsmaman said:

The BSA has always invited the sitting POTUS to speak. We've just never had a disgusting pig like the one we've got now, who can't even be around children.

Noted -- which is why I question the  invite .. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Among the many things the Boy Scouts are, including moving forward, is traditionalist....so if the tradition is to invite POTUS to speak, invite the POTUS....they did, he accepted...he made a complete and total inappropriate jackhat out of himself, parents complained. As long as he is sitting POTUS, he may not be asked again. Bringing up the legitimate history of discrimination seems to me a deflection from Trump's current racist, sexist attitudes; that the parents are speaking out in their offense to his speech speaks volumes of how the BSA have grown exponentially to be socially current.

( @skipped, congrats to both your sons for achieving Eagle rank...it's a very big deal!)

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mame925 said:

 

( @skipped, congrats to both your sons for achieving Eagle rank...it's a very big deal!)

Ditto!

Meanwhile, both my granddolls are in scouting, and I've been to enough events to see that they each have a mixture of races in their troops. No tokenism either though, yes, it happens the majority are white.

Perhaps the Boy Scouts do have a history of discrimination - I haven't read up on it, but, for now, I'll take your word for it, Komo. However, from what I can see, that's not the case now, at least not in my GC's troops.

Edited by RoseRed135
3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mame, it appears the decision was made to stick with tradition and with the knowledge of his history considered- It had to be a very vexing decision to make, but that's what was decided- I don't know what they will do in the future- His history doesn't trump or deflect their history, and their history doesn't trump his- Both come into play -- neither is exempt- Should he move forward? His history will continue to be considered, too- 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Komorebi said:

Mame, it appears the decision was made to stick with tradition and with the knowledge of his history considered- It had to be a very vexing decision to make, but that's what was decided- I don't know what they will do in the future- His history doesn't trump or deflect their history, and their history doesn't trump his- Both come into play -- neither is exempt- Should he move forward? His history will continue to be considered, too- 

 

 

Puns intended? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one is deflecting BSA history, it is what it is. The difference is that BSA has moved forward publicly and completely into modern homogeneous society. So I think focusing on the "irony & humor" here is an attempt to discredit BSA progress by calling the parental objection hypocrisy "tee hee". Really?

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RoseRed135 said:

Puns intended? ;)

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Mame925 said:

No one is deflecting BSA history, it is what it is. The difference is that BSA has moved forward publicly and completely into modern homogeneous society. So I think focusing on the "irony & humor" here is an attempt to discredit BSA progress by calling the parental objection hypocrisy "tee hee". Really?

The irony and humor are part of the situation -- along with everything else mentioned- Everything ..

A situation arose where a labeled racist spoke to large group of predominantly white youth- Thinking this discredits the BSA, discredits the BSA -- instead of simply acknowledging the event took place -- as I described- As others have described, too- Waving it off as if it it didn't happen is deflecting- Nobody said the parental objection was a hypocrisy or suggested it- It was suggested that it was ironic, considering a labeled racist was invited to speak to a crowd of predominantly white youth ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read somewhere and can't find it again that the head honcho for the BSA did say that IF Trump was still president for the jamboree in 2021, that they would probably invite him again because that is what they have always done.

So, IMHO...the complaints couldn't have been to serious to even consider extending another invitation.

Is it more "fake news"...who knows?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Komorebi said:

predominantly white youth

This implies current racism, something that is NO LONGER a part of BSA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Mame925 said:

This implies current racism, something that is NO LONGER a part of BSA.

Mame, I see your point as clearly as I saw a sea of predominantly all white youth being addressed by the president -- who has been labeled a racist- I am not saying that racism is currently a part of BSA nor am I saying that it isn't- I am saying that the organization is predominantly white- That is a fact- It doesn't imply anything but the truth-

Edited by Komorebi
added the word predominantly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

our president, who has been labeled a racist, is being chastised by parents who decided to allow their young sons to become members of a nearly all white organization? Tee hee ..

This is what you said....I see a racial implication there on your part, where one no longer exists. So, is that what you meant or are you just baiting? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SueSTx said:

I read somewhere and can't find it again that the head honcho for the BSA did say that IF Trump was still president for the jamboree in 2021, that they would probably invite him again because that is what they have always done.

So, IMHO...the complaints couldn't have been to serious to even consider extending another invitation.

Is it more "fake news"...who knows?

I think what some parents were/are upset about was the fact that BSA apologized for the president and not for inviting him to begin with -- after the fact- After they allowed their sons to attend an event where the current president was scheduled to speak- Last I read, the White House didn't offer an apology and neither did the president- It's somewhat of a conundrum .. but it seems the BSA isn't backing down and neither is the White House -- for now ..

Some consider the BSA's take on the situation compliance, not tradition- I think that's twisting it a bit, but who knows .. Parents are suggesting they will remove their sons from scouting if the BSA doesn't take a greater stand on the situation-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mame925 said:

This is what you said....I see a racial implication there on your part, where one no longer exists. So, is that what you meant or are you just baiting? 

I am implying that I have no idea whatsoever what the parents expected would result from sending their sons to an event where a man who is labeled a racist is speaking- That aspect of one's personality isn't going to disappear so readily simply because he is speaking to a group of youth- The majority of those parents had to know that the president's address to their sons wouldn't go over so well .. I am implying they knew who they were dealing with and went forward anyway -- now they are complaining .. and that's part of the irony ..

One knows that there's a strong chance that it is going to rain but doesn't bring an umbrella and then complains they are wet ..

Edit: Now add that their sons are members of a predominantly white organization ..

Edited by Komorebi
Edit added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And maybe they were just naive thinking that a POTUS would be appropriate speaking to youth. So no, the parents "had to know". In hindsight sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now