• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
SueSTx

"The New" easy dinner recipes

8 posts in this topic

By this time in the summer with all the gardening and yard work tiring me out, I am looking for some new easy recipes.

Summer squash is more than plentiful now and I have stumbled on a quick recipe that can be made for a single person.

Squash side dish

spray an individual casserole dish and quarter and slice in desired amount of summer squash.  I cook mine dry in the microwave for 5 minutes.

Then I season with an herb seasoning for vegetables, add a handful of grated parmesan (not sprinkle) and top with a little buttered seasoned bread crumbs (I use stove top),

I then bake this at 375* until the top is browned.  Chopped meat can be added for an all in one meal.

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

On 8/4/2017 at 7:02 AM, SueSTx said:

Squash side dish

spray an individual casserole dish and quarter and slice in desired amount of summer squash.  I cook mine dry in the microwave for 5 minutes.

Then I season with an herb seasoning for vegetables, add a handful of grated parmesan (not sprinkle) and top with a little buttered seasoned bread crumbs (I use stove top),

I then bake this at 375* until the top is browned.  Chopped meat can be added for an all in one meal.

I make this^ when we have too many zucchini or crookneck (I mix kinds of squashes).

Works for my vegetarians, not vegans.

I chop walla wallas, dump in the microwave casserole first, with butter, cook it 3-4 minutes, add the squash, cook as Sue said above. Don't drain any of the liquid or butter from the casserole. Whisk a little flour with a couple of eggs until smooth, salt and pepper, add to squash/onion mix, microwave until almost set.

Pulse a hunk of parm or pecorino until broken up, add 2-3 bread heels and some butter, pulse until nice size crumbs - dump on top of squash/egg mix. Oven bake until brown-done.

It's a fairly frugal dish, we always have leftover bread heels to make crumbs.

My sister adds chopped tomatoes to the squash.

Edited by JanelleK
1 person likes this

Both ways sound great- I picked up squash today ..

1 person likes this

I've made variations of your recipe twice this week and both times when my son stopped in to visit -- and he devoured it .. as have I- I love this recipe .. One day I added left over yam and mushroom the next .. also red pepper .. I imagine many variations can be made- Thanks for sharing it!

When the summer temperature is high and our garden is at the most wildly producing stage, we eat a lot of QuattroP Milanese. Easy, practically free, calorie and vegan friendly, and so tasty. We serve sliced tomatoes, melons, bread sticks sides. Freezer gelato with fresh garden fruit for dessert.

I believe I'm addicted to this dish and could eat it every single day of the week .. and it's todays choice once again .. zucchini, I use that spiralizer thing to make thin ribbons out of it, it cooks a little faster, also going into it are yams, portobello, garlic, onion, peppers and spinach .. and of course the breadcrumbs mixed with pecorino and oregano ....

I made the guys copycat wingers chicken fingers last night, very easy .. half hour tops- The recipe called for Tysons Chicken Strips, and the sauce that goes on them after they're cooked goes something like 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar, 6 tablespoons of Franks hot sauce and about the same amount of water and a bit of salt- Cooked over medium high heat until sugar is completely melted- I threw the chicken in a big bowl after cooked and tossed with the sauce- Served it with corn, potato and garlic bread ..

Right now I'm roasting artichokes for the first time, instead of boiling them ..

1 person likes this

Oooo.... this thread is making me hungry! :)

1 person likes this

I had never roasted artichoke before! I love how they turned out ..

1 person likes this