• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LaToyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

My heart goes out to Virginia...

13 posts in this topic

Hoping that none of out members or their loved ones were impacted by the violent incident in Charlottesville, Va:

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/08/13/virginia-police-fbi-probe-deadly-violence-at-white-nationalist/23075948/

My heart goes out to all those affected by this terrible incident!

Edited by RoseRed135
spelling

Thank you.  My 3 grandchildren are in VA. and have been for 6 months. They are o.k. but I haven't seen them for over a year. I love & miss them dearly. The children's uncle on the dad's side is looking to adopt them. He says I cannot see them until they are adopted.  He says the judge ordered no visitation for grandparents. He promised me I could see them when they got down there.  The paternal grandma had those children taken from me, but she didn't want them.  She scrutinized me to the Ad litem in court when I was taking care of the children & could not go to defend myself. Next thing I know they are being shipped to VA. The judge's final orders did not say no visits for me. If anyone has any suggestions what I can do to visit my grandchildren, please let me know.  Thanks & God Bless You.

18 hours ago, SadAnnie said:

Thank you.  My 3 grandchildren are in VA. and have been for 6 months. They are o.k. but I haven't seen them for over a year. I love & miss them dearly. The children's uncle on the dad's side is looking to adopt them. He says I cannot see them until they are adopted.  He says the judge ordered no visitation for grandparents. He promised me I could see them when they got down there.  The paternal grandma had those children taken from me, but she didn't want them.  She scrutinized me to the Ad litem in court when I was taking care of the children & could not go to defend myself. Next thing I know they are being shipped to VA. The judge's final orders did not say no visits for me. If anyone has any suggestions what I can do to visit my grandchildren, please let me know.  Thanks & God Bless You.

Hi again, Annie! Glad to hear your GC are ok. But sorry you still haven't gotten to see them. It sounds as if the uncle is stalling as far as letting you visit. That may be b/c he wasn't totally familiar w/ CPS rules, at first, as we've discussed before. It may also be b/c the rules in VA may be different than those in your state or b/c there are conflicts between him and his wife/the aunt about if/when you can visit. Or, of course, he could just be deliberately stalling.

There also seems to be some confusion over whether or not the judge ordered "no visitation" for you and any other GPs. And I realize Uncle could be flat-out lying about that. However, according to GP.com's information,  sad to say, VA is one of those states where " Adoption cuts off all visitation rights of grandparents." (In fact, as you'll see, most states cut off GP "visitation rights" to some degree upon adoption.):

http://www.grandparents.com/family-and-relationships/grandparents-rights/grandparent-rights-united-states

So I'm afraid you'll just have to wait till Aunt and Uncle invite you to come for a visit. Till then, I hope you're now able to communicate w/ the kids by phone, Skype, cards or whatever.

So sorry Annie.  My thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope you are able to communicate to them by phone.  I am lucky enough to have a fairly good relationship with my grandson's Mom.  He is 1 year old.  She tells me he loves it when I call to talk to him.

6 hours ago, josem said:

I am lucky enough to have a fairly good relationship with my grandson's Mom.  He is 1 year old.  She tells me he loves it when I call to talk to him.

That's beautiful, josem! Kudos to you both for managing to have such a good relationship!

But that reminds me... elsewhere, you indicated you were interested in opening your own thread to seek feedback about your GP situation. Now that you have more than 10 posts to your name, you can. :)

ETA: if you hold your arrow over your name, a little box will pop up, and among other things, you'll see your "Content count" (currently it's 12).

Edited by RoseRed135

But this whole horrific event began over disagreement about a statue of Robert E. Lee. And that fact gave me the idea for a debate thread:

For the most part, the free speech rally in Boston was nonviolent.  Boston has a very unique style of handling unrest. Some of it boarders on being unconstitutional (I won't tell) After the 9/11 bombers flew out of Logan, then the Marathon bombing, all law enforcement officers in the state are trained differently.

Boston has over 35 colleges with over 170,000 students from around the world. Historically, it has been a melting pot since the Mayflower docked around Provincetown.

(not Plymouth)

The New Democracy Coalition( which was the group that held permit to rally) has demanded historic Faneuil  Hall be changed to Crispus Attucks Place, after an Afro American killed in the Boston Massacre. They have also demanded Yawkey Way, outside Fenway Park be changed back to Jersey Street, as it was named before 1977. The group claims  Tom Yawkey was a racist. Although, in 1959, Yawkey recruited Pumpsie Green to play for the Sox. (Green's religion was very different, but he could really play ball)

BOSTON STRONG , BOSTON SAFE.     I don't live in Boston, but from the roof of my house I can see it on a clear day.

I hope all cities that have seen or will see violence because of this craziness stay safe.

Yawkey Way, maybe....it's a late 20th century rename...Faneuil Hall? Never....Peter Faneuil is the architect/owner of the building who donated to the City of Boston. The reason cited is that Faneuil was a slave holder...well in 1743 most men of means in this country were slaveholders. We go back to the line "a man of his time". 

I agree with Condoleeza Rice regarding the statues of Founding Fathers who held slaves. (For now.) 

The Founding Fathers, while certainly hypocritical about "freedom" for all men, sought to build a country so that all could be free (for Thomas Jefferson, he didn't want to wait, and freed his slaves upon death).

The south sought to divide the country, in support of human bondage. I have no problem with eradicating anything and everything that glorifies the American gestapo who perpetrated and perpetuated slavery.