• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LaToyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
homeygfunk

Loneliness

10 posts in this topic

Good article, iMO, homey!

About "Myth #4" - I would add that some people get much of their social interaction via the Internet. Especially if they're homebound. So for some, social media is actually an antidote to loneliness.

Edited by RoseRed135
1 person likes this

I do not live alone (hubby is here also).  My teenaged granddaughter spent a week here the end of July and asked me if I ever got lonely.  I answered well, Pop is here also and she said, "but y'all don't talk much...don'tca get lonely?"

I guess "lonely" is an individual feeling.

1 person likes this

I live alone yet am not lonely....I'm an ambivert, so when I've had quite enough of the outside world, home is my sanctuary..where my introverted side relaxes.

xH was a very quiet man, as actually are all dedicated nontalkers...however, their silence is 'companionable', which may be what Sue & her DH experience. They pay attention, listen, comment when required, but don't fill up the space with noise. 2 of my 3 bio grandsons are of similar nature...the 3rd (Mr. Personality) has no such tendency. 

2 people like this

I live alone, too. Yet I am not lonely at all. Two of my grandchildren are here almost every weekend. One gets off the school bus here. I have a few friends that I talk to regularly. I stay too busy to think about being lonely.

On 8/28/2017 at 6:06 PM, homeygfunk said:

I live alone, too. Yet I am not lonely at all. Two of my grandchildren are here almost every weekend. One gets off the school bus here. I have a few friends that I talk to regularly. I stay too busy to think about being lonely.

Perhaps that's key? Maybe filling up your (general) life w/ activities (yes, including social media) is the antidote to loneliness?

1 person likes this

46 minutes ago, RoseRed135 said:

Perhaps that's key? Maybe filling up your (general) life w/ activities (yes, including social media) is the antidote to loneliness?

agreed

Perhaps....some people may think lead a boring life....because I like being home. It's not the case at all. I go out when I want, stay in when I want. It's all up to me. DH's illness consumed our lives for nearly 10 years...I think I've earned the right to do as I please. 

3 people like this

I'm not single, hubby is very much here...but we do not do a lot due to some physical limitations.  The last time my teen GD was here, she asked me if I ever got lonesome...I said well, no Pop is nearly always hear, but she said well, "y'all hardly every really talk.  I get lonesome when my parents are to busy to talk to me."

I think lonesome means different things to different people.

1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, SueSTx said:

I'm not single, hubby is very much here...but we do not do a lot due to some physical limitations.  The last time my teen GD was here, she asked me if I ever got lonesome...I said well, no Pop is nearly always hear, but she said well, "y'all hardly every really talk.  I get lonesome when my parents are to busy to talk to me."

I think lonesome means different things to different people.

That's probably the best definition of loneliness- Her parents are who she communicates the things that are important to her to- When they're too busy to listen, she experiences loneliness- She probably experienced companionship when she communicated her feelings to you and you listened-

WZTeUer.jpg

1 person likes this