• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Hurricane Harvey - and Now... Irma

46 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I hope none of our members or their loved ones were/will be badly affected by Harvey. While I'm glad to see "he" has weakened considerably, apparently, he hit South Texas hard:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/26/us/hurricane-harvey-landfall/index.html

Edited by RoseRed135
to add "Irma" to title

I have an almost mystical draw toward natural disasters...my house survived both the 1906 & 1989 SF earthquakes....in 2005 I had a trip planned in late September to Destin FL...turned out it was just a few days after the devastation of Katrina...and right in the middle of Rita. I called the airline the day before I was to leave...this very sweet customer service rep confirmed my flight, said everything looked to be on time, etc....I asked him he'd been watching the Weather Channel...as Rita was due to hit Texas about the same time my plane was to land in Houston...I had him transfer me to a supervisor who rerouted my trip for safety.

During the trip we had the rain bands, heat & humidity from Rita. It was stiffling...we met a family in the hotel who had escaped Mobile with their daughter, her purse & the family bible....then we drove from Destin to Mobile AL passing a convoy of FEMA buildings being hauled to rescue sites. Mobile looked like a ghost town. The USS Alabama was listing terribly in Mobile Bay. At the end of my trip I spent part of the night in the Mobile airport where I met a man who had been there for 3 days...he couldn't get a flight home to Brownsville TX. The staff had let him use the showers in their employee lounge. We both headed out about 6 the next morning. 

On the outer bands of the storm and it is really raining hard.  Just got a tornado warning and we aren't even close to the center.  I know first hand the devestation hurricanescan cause as we went through both Rita and Ike.  

My sister, niece and daughters evacuated Thursday afternoon.  Their homes are about 50 miles from the "point of entry".  They are resigned to losing their homes, but still praying for no damage.  My nephew stayed because he is a first responder and my BIL is out of town working.

I am praying for safety for all involved.

Hope everyone stays safe...Stuff can be replaced.

Also after disasters communities work together to rebuild, that and the government is better prepared after dealing with Katrina and Sandy- I lived in a coastal community in MS when Katrina hit and looking back am happy that I evacuated- When Sandy hit, she swept away many childhood memories from growing up on that coast- Its amazing to return to these places just to witness the resilience that people have- Hope all stay safe, it's all that truly matters-

Possessions can be replaced, people can not.   The videos and pictures show widespread devestation and this is not over by far.  A tornado struck 5 miles from me and another  20 miles away.   Rain is still pouring, but no flooding yet.  

2 hours ago, nonna23 said:

Possessions can be replaced, people can not.   The videos and pictures show widespread devestation and this is not over by far.  A tornado struck 5 miles from me and another  20 miles away.   Rain is still pouring, but no flooding yet.  

Stay safe, nonna (and your family, too, I hope).

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, SueSTx said:

My sister, niece and daughters evacuated Thursday afternoon.  Their homes are about 50 miles from the "point of entry".  They are resigned to losing their homes, but still praying for no damage.  My nephew stayed because he is a first responder and my BIL is out of town working.

I am praying for safety for all involved.

Me too.

ETA: IMO, your nephew is very brave, Sue. Bless him!

Edited by RoseRed135

First responders are a very different breed! My son is also a first responder, someone I've always been happy is on my team!

1 person likes this

41 minutes ago, Mame925 said:

First responders are a very different breed! My son is also a first responder, someone I've always been happy is on my team!

You must be very proud of him, Mame.

2 minutes ago, RoseRed135 said:

You must be very proud of him, Mame.

Very....he never rattles.

1 person likes this

My nephew injured himself at home a few years ago.  He called 911 himself and offered to start his own IV while in the ambulance.  Never rattled.

2 people like this

God bless Texas and all the people affected by this storm and God bless the good people helping them. Stay safe @nonna23

Watching the news coverage of the Gulf area is heartbreaking.  I continue to pray for the residents and rescuers.

1 hour ago, SueSTx said:

Watching the news coverage of the Gulf area is heartbreaking.  I continue to pray for the residents and rescuers.

It is heart breaking in two ways, the loss but also the kindness and compassion-

1 person likes this

Many asking this question around the globe: "Why more coverage of floods in Texas than in South Asia?" 

1 hour ago, Komorebi said:

Many asking this question around the globe: "Why more coverage of floods in Texas than in South Asia?" 

Priorities...Texas is in our geographical 'back yard'. Houston is the home of NASA, Baylor Medical School, Rice University, a major airport hub, MLB team Astos, NBA team Rockets, I am well aware of what's going on around the world. However, what happens in my own country comes first. 

The broadcast I am watching seems to show Texas news at the top of the hour right now.  I am very interested.  My sister and her family live within 100 miles of where Harvey "hit".  I want to understand part of what is happening in her area although they are all safe with no flooding.  When the other news comes on later, I go do something else.  That does not effect me and mine this week, but might later.  I can read the headlines online.

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Komorebi said:

Good question, IMO (can't get this out of bold - IDKY)! Read an interesting article that gives some reasons for it. One of them echoes Mame's comment about "our geographical 'back yard'" and Sue's about what impacts her own FOO. Specifically, it says, "Events that are closer to the target audience of a media organization are more heavily covered," based on the idea that "readers are probably far more likely to engage with stories that could happen to them, whether it's tomorrow or ten years from now."

To read more, google, "Hurricane Harvey or Indian floods - why we care about some catastrophes more than others."

Nevertheless (finally, bold disappeared), I'm sorry for those affected by the floods in South Asia. Also, I hope none of our members or their loved ones have been impacted by them. (I don't think we happen to have a lot of South Asian members, but a few, I believe.)

Edited by RoseRed135

When Sandy hit the Northeast, 23 Texan representatives voted against relief. Hopefully, they'll have a change of heart in the future.

2 people like this

They said it was due to the unnecessary "pork" added to those disaster relief bills...maybe, maybe not...but is so, maybe the writers/sponsors of those bills in the future will leave the pork off and let the relief fly on it's own.

1 person likes this

We are in the area where water released from a dam is flooding us. I am out of my home, without power at my mother's and with food to  last for about 3 more days.   But, hey we are Texans, we will survive.   On a side note, we need a statue erected to "random guy with a bass boat".  Civilians rescued far more people than the professionals.

3 people like this

1 hour ago, nonna23 said:

We are in the area where water released from a dam is flooding us. I am out of my home, without power at my mother's and with food to  last for about 3 more days.   But, hey we are Texans, we will survive.   On a side note, we need a statue erected to "random guy with a bass boat".  Civilians rescued far more people than the professionals.

I'm glad to learn you are safe, you'll hang in there with the rest of the community surrounding you in a similar situation- Also grateful to know you are not in an overcrowded shelter, but on the other hand if the shelter is all you had, I'd be grateful for that as well-

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, RoseRed135 said:

Good question, IMO (can't get this out of bold - IDKY)! Read an interesting article that gives some reasons for it. One of them echoes Mame's comment about "our geographical 'back yard'" and Sue's about what impacts her own FOO. Specifically, it says, "Events that are closer to the target audience of a media organization are more heavily covered," based on the idea that "readers are probably far more likely to engage with stories that could happen to them, whether it's tomorrow or ten years from now."

To read more, google, "Hurricane Harvey or Indian floods - why we care about some catastrophes more than others."

Nevertheless (finally, bold disappeared), I'm sorry for those affected by the floods in South Asia. Also, I hope none of our members or their loved ones have been impacted by them. (I don't think we happen to have a lot of South Asian members, but a few, I believe.)

Absolutely understandable that the US flood dominates our media- I was wondering why it is also dominating in other countries as well- If it were a newspaper, Huston would be front page and Asia a blurb on page 3- Folks from other countries are also discussing the phenomenon-