• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Hurricane Harvey - and Now... Irma

46 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, oscarsmaman said:

When Sandy hit the Northeast, 23 Texan representatives voted against relief. Hopefully, they'll have a change of heart in the future.

Oil- Oil is why the funding will flow for Texas -- indefinitely- Just my take ..

It's only going to get worse as the seas rise and storms all over the globe produce epic rainfall with increasing frequency-

One more thing .. a quote from an article that sheds some light on both Huston and Asia:

"unbridled development that has stymied the region’s natural capacity to absorb heavy rainfall"

1 hour ago, nonna23 said:

We are in the area where water released from a dam is flooding us. I am out of my home, without power at my mother's and with food to  last for about 3 more days.   But, hey we are Texans, we will survive.   On a side note, we need a statue erected to "random guy with a bass boat".  Civilians rescued far more people than the professionals.

Thanks for letting us know, nonna. Will pray for you and your mother.

ETA: How are your AC and families doing?

Edited by RoseRed135

And just in case anyone has been misled by reports that Harvey has been downgraded from "hurricane" status to that of "tropical storm" - don't be. Apparently it is still the "worst rain event in US history":

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/08/29/harvey-marks-the-most-extreme-rain-event-in-u-s-history/?utm_term=.0e570d777648

Meanwhile, my heart is also w/ all our members in Harvey's path in Louisiana or who have loved ones that are...

I imagine everyone now has an eye on Irma .. ?

Irma certainly bears watching, but has been downgraded to category "2"....the islands are certainly in for some serious rain

Google two brothers purchase truck off Craigslist to rescue people -- awesome story-

1 person likes this

Yes, the rescue efforts by everyday people are inspiring. For example:

1 person likes this

Have cousins in Florida gearing up for Hurricane Irma. Hoping they stay safe and same to any of our members who live or have loved ones in Irma's path.

My sister is on the Atlantic side.  I hope the storm looses some strength soon.

Me too.

I have friends in the Tampa area...so much traffic to get out of town, gas shortages and high hotel rates they've decided to stay. They are staying with friends in a safer place. Her DH has Parkinson's as well as other disabilities, so she's very concerned.

Some of my cousins in Florida have evacuated. Others are getting ready to hunker down in their homes w/ plenty of supplies, windows heavily boarded, etc. Hoping and praying for the best.

1 person likes this

As Irma plows into Florida,  my little town is just devestated.   Overr 80% of the homes had water in them.  Most of those had over four feet.  The area of Houston and all of Southeast Texas will be years in recovery.   My neighbors who didn't leave when I did (as the water was steadily rising) were rescued Army vehicles and boats.  It is predicted as many as a million  (yes million) vehicles were destroyed.   We will rebuild, we will thrive, we are #Texasstrong.

1 person likes this

@nonna23 - I've been thinking about you! So glad you and yours got out in time!,

No doubt, while Irma is wreaking her havoc, people are still dealing w/ the effects of Harvey and will be for a long time to come, as you point out. So sorry about your town. I can only begin to imagine how upsetting it must be. Hope you and yours found your homes reasonably intact. (((Hugs!)))

Edited by RoseRed135

54 minutes ago, nonna23 said:

As Irma plows into Florida,  my little town is just devestated.   Overr 80% of the homes had water in them.  Most of those had over four feet.  The area of Houston and all of Southeast Texas will be years in recovery.   My neighbors who didn't leave when I did (as the water was steadily rising) were rescued Army vehicles and boats.  It is predicted as many as a million  (yes million) vehicles were destroyed.   We will rebuild, we will thrive, we are #Texasstrong.

Nona, is there anything we can do as a group (for any who would care to be involved) or individuals to assist in your own recovery and or those closest to you? I ask because after Katrina I personally encountered issues regarding recovery and receiving assistance- Are your necessities covered?    

My home is fine,  our access was cur off for about a week. I have spent time tearing out sheetrock and insulation in friends homes who had water to the ceiling.  I volunteeredand handed out food and cleaning supplues/ personal items to people who literally have only the clothes they fled in.  Two of our school sustained major flood damage.  In my country,  alone 14 schools had significant flooding.  Not too mention the college I attend.  School is still out for the students in most districts until next week

.  If some wants to help, google Orange County Texas schools,  gift cards sent to the administration building  (we are receiving mail) will be used to purchase supplies.  While I am reluctant to provide my town name, help to any area school will be appreciated. 

2 people like this

15 minutes ago, nonna23 said:

My home is fine,  our access was cur off for about a week. I have spent time tearing out sheetrock and insulation in friends homes who had water to the ceiling.  I volunteeredand handed out food and cleaning supplues/ personal items to people who literally have only the clothes they fled in.  Two of our school sustained major flood damage.  In my country,  alone 14 schools had significant flooding.  Not too mention the college I attend.  School is still out for the students in most districts until next week

.  If some wants to help, google Orange County Texas schools,  gift cards sent to the administration building  (we are receiving mail) will be used to purchase supplies.  While I am reluctant to provide my town name, help to any area school will be appreciated. 

Understood, and thank you for providing the information- Also happy to hear that your own home is fine and that you're out there with the rest of your community- Community is key to recovery! I wish you the best-

My DD and SIL went down last week to Jackson county with some donations and took time to visit my sister and niece.  While niece has some water damage in her home, my sister's home was spared.  Luck of the draw since they are only about five miles apart. 

DD said she wishes she had had enough time to help do more repairs, but the insurance hadn't adjusted her home yet.

I have read where some schools think it might take 6 months to open back up in a few locations.

Take care nonna and remember we are still thinking about y'all.

@nonna23 - Glad your home is ok. Sorry you didn't have access for a while though. IMO, it was very kind of you to help others in the midst of your own problems. As Sue says, please take care. And please keep in touch w/ us.

@SueSTx - Sorry about niece's home, but glad about your sister's. Mostly, just glad that they are both safe and well. Once again, IMO, DD and SIL have been very kind, brave and generous.

@ All - As for my relatives in Florida, they all made it through ok, except that some, unfortunately, had some flooding and property damage. Right now, I'm just glad they're all safe and well. But I know getting back to "normal" will take a long time for some of them... sigh...