• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Aches & pains - & depression/anxiety

5 posts in this topic

I've often heard/read that depression can cause physical pain or illness:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200207/when-depression-hurts

Also, I've often heard/read that physical pain or illness can cause depression. (Google, for example, "Chronic pain not only hurts, it also causes isolation and depression. But there's hope." at "www.washingtonpost.com"

And I've heard/read the same "mirror twin" suggestions regarding anxiety.

If you suffer/have ever suffered from serious physical pain/illness, depression and/or anxiety, do/did you experience these connections? Or if a loved one or good friend suffers/has suffered from any of these, what did you observe regarding this topic?

As hubby gets more fragile, I find myself getting more anxious.  Now, I have had this stroke and there is no physical pain per say, but I find myself "watching" for all the side affects of my meds and finding it hard to sleep some nights.

I don't think I have ever suffered from depression, but I can see myself becoming more anxious also.  I also find Hubby checking on me several times through the day if I get too quite or lay down longer than he expects me too.  He also watches me while I walk.  His anxiety is showing also.  And I do feel anxiety can lead to pain even if it is imagined due to our watchfulness.

I find that getting "older" hasn't been easy.

I think every human being runs through cycles regarding what's on their minds and that what's on their minds winds up being a series or loop of the same 5 or so things, and that that 5 or so things shifts to a different set of 5 or so things as they pass through the various stages of their lives -- should they live a long time, even more so- But the loop or series as a rule, I think, consists of concerns and or worries-

Most people, I think, aren't truly prepared to die- Either due to the way in which people are biologically designed and or conditioned mentally- And I think that the idea of death is at the root of just about any human concern or worry imaginable -- and that when those worries and concerns accumulate over time, without actually being addressed, the result is anxiety and or depression- 

Posted (edited)

One of the funniest things I've recently heard about aging was from the comedian Robert Klein- He said something like, ""As we age, and experience aches and pains, we've really no idea which are due to the normal course of aging, or if they are serious and we should be picking up the phone and calling the authorities-"" It might not sound funny to read, but seeing his facial expressions when he said it, it was hysterical .. :D

Edited by Komorebi

My anxiety/stress levels have yet to return to a healthy normal. During DH's last months I had an awful time obtaining recuperative sleep. He, bless his heart, kept trying to lessen my burden, which actually made me more anxious because he sometimes overestimated his abilities creating bigger problems. My sleeping patterns have improved significantly, the dark circles under my eyes have faded considerably, but I'm still not nearly as productive as I'd like. 

Creating an honest relationship with your doctor can help. So many people expect their doctor to read their minds or are embarrassed to speak up, so things go unaddressed.