• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LaToyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
Mame925

Boomerang Generation

6 posts in this topic

I think there will be an increase going forward- Also the current natural disaster that's unfolding will displace thousands-

IMO, establishing boundaries from the get-go is invaluable. Not just deciding whether or not the returning AC are going to pay rent, as mentioned in the article. Or setting a deadline, as also mentioned. Those, no doubt, are both very important. But so are issues such as dividing up chores and, if there are children, deciding who makes rules about what. (Generally, IMO, it's best if the parents/GPs house rules are observed, but the AC/CIL's rules for their children are respected. But sometimes, there are gray areas that need to be addressed, etc.)

1 person likes this

Also, I think that , sometimes, these decisions have to be revisited/changed after the AC (and family, if any) move back in and everyone sees how things are working out. But it's good, I believe, to begin w/ some sort of plan.

I agree, Rose....The worst thing that can happen is the AC returns to the parent's home in their role as "son/daughter" of the house. If you are finished with college, you are an adult. I would expect you to act like one. If you bring kids with you, we'll be setting up rules we can all live with. 

DS remained home longer than either of his sisters...however, he is helpful, neat & organized by nature, picked up after himself, did his own laundry, cleaned his bathroom (its also guest bathroom), helped cook & shop, etc...he camped out with a cousin after his divorce, who said having him there was like living with a ghost...the perfect housemate. 

I had two 'kids' living at home at the same time while attending college four days a week.  I told them I was pretending that thy lived in a dorm and expected them to do their own laundry, cooking and tend to themselves.  In return, I didn't give them a curfew, only asked them to let me know by 10:00 PM that they were spending the night with a friend to please let me know even if they only left a message on the answering machine.  Now will everyone having a cell phone, this rule would need revised IMHO.

So far, I haven't had a need for 'adults with children' moving back in. but I wouldn't rule out at some time me needing to live with someone.  I hope to have 30 years left in me like both my grandmothers.