• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
RoseRed135

Those Autumn Babies!

7 posts in this topic

Was/is your child/GC born/about to be born in the fall? If so, what do you think are the pluses of that, if any? Minuses?

I'm my own autumn baby! Big number this year (it involves Medicare!)...This is my favorite time of year. One of my GB is an autumn baby...he's turning 5...Mr. Personality if there was one. He's a great kid, full agenda every day. Right now its all about superheroes.

The new change for fall babies in California is that if you are not 6yo by September 1, you can not start first grade. That wasn't the case when I started school, my 5th birthday was after I'd started kindergarten. The GB is in a "transitional kindergarten" program, it's 2 years of kindergarten, done at a somewhat slower pace. They actually get more prep to succeed in grade school. Everyone will be 6 when they start 1st grade, but turn 7 all thru the fall...It's designed to allow them to mature a bit rather than always playing catch-up to their older classmates. 

1 person likes this

Happy Birthday to you and GB, Mame!

And I think that "transitional kindergarten program" for the younger kids is a great idea!

On 9/3/2017 at 0:02 PM, Mame925 said:

I'm my own autumn baby! Big number this year (it involves Medicare!)...This is my favorite time of year. One of my GB is an autumn baby...he's turning 5...Mr. Personality if there was one. He's a great kid, full agenda every day. Right now its all about superheroes.

The new change for fall babies in California is that if you are not 6yo by September 1, you can not start first grade. That wasn't the case when I started school, my 5th birthday was after I'd started kindergarten. The GB is in a "transitional kindergarten" program, it's 2 years of kindergarten, done at a somewhat slower pace. They actually get more prep to succeed in grade school. Everyone will be 6 when they start 1st grade, but turn 7 all thru the fall...It's designed to allow them to mature a bit rather than always playing catch-up to their older classmates. 

They had the same rule when I started Kindergarten - we were living in Wisconsin at the time as my dad was in graduate school. My parents were able to get permission for me to start school "early" (my birthday is September 13) because they knew I was ready and because we intended to move back to Canada, where the cutoff is December 31 or something. 

34 minutes ago, agnurse said:

They had the same rule when I started Kindergarten - we were living in Wisconsin at the time as my dad was in graduate school. My parents were able to get permission for me to start school "early" (my birthday is September 13) because they knew I was ready and because we intended to move back to Canada, where the cutoff is December 31 or something. 

For girls overall the cutoff was no big deal. My friends with birthdates close to or thru the fall (Dec 3 was the old cut off) did fine. The boys, however overall struggled far more than the girls did early on. Some caught up and exceeded everyone else, but there were enough who weren't able to so were held back. However, had I had done more year to mature, I may have been far more successful in school (for all that I did well, tested well, etc). Who knows.

I have often wondered about the "age" thing and school.

All four girls in my family were born in either September or October and were therefore older when they started to school.  My two brothers were both February babies.  The girls excelled at school and the boys were indifferent.

My son is a fall baby and did great and is very intelligent.  My daughter is the end of winter and though very intelligent, she struggled for the first couple of years under the same teachers.

Why?  Who knows?   We have a local lovely lady that was born on Sept 1 and started kinder before she turned 5.  Her mom for years said if she knew then what she knows now, she would have held her back and let her mature that one year before starting.

My baby sister could have started first grade a year sooner...she was ready.  I do think personal maturity makes a big difference.

Beings intellectual agility or physical size don't go in hand with emotional maturity - my husband wanted our boys to start school late, he felt that was the best approach. I typically listen closely to my husband on all things that impact boys - I'm not a boy and using my brother for reference was not a great idea. My parents, on the other hand, wanted my brother in school because he towered over the other kids and he was off the charts smart - there was no staying back. Would it have helped him if he stayed back? I doubt it, he had to grow into himself - at forty - oh well.

ETA: I'm always interested in watching our ACs approach with their kids. Again, every parent is different, it all works out.

Edited by JanelleK