• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

DACA: Should the "Dreamers" be allowed to stay in the U.S?

10 posts in this topic

"President Trump on Tuesday ordered an end to the Obama-era program that shields young undocumented immigrants from deportation, calling it an “amnesty-first approach” and urging Congress to pass a replacement before he begins phasing out its protections in six months":

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/05/us/politics/trump-daca-dreamers-immigration.html?mcubz=1

Thoughts?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/07/us/politics/trump-pelosi-daca.html

"He is a man of the moment, and the moment often does not last."

And to me, that is the beauty of this presidency- In more ways than one-

"There are also reasons to doubt whether Democrats would sustain a partnership with Mr. Trump beyond the deal they have cut to keep the government open for three months and paying its debts. The centrifugal forces of partisanship tug from the left as well as the right, and the liberal base has put pressure on Democratic lawmakers not to meet in the middle a president it loathes."

A telling quote- But then again, it's a joy to watch neither side want to side with the president- But even more enjoyable is to witness the rise in moderate activity -- no matter how long it lasts-

After all is said and done I think the dreamers will stay put but according to regulation instead of a band-aid-

In August 2017 a survey was conducted by an associate professor of political science at a university in California.  IMHO, often surveys are one sided but assuming this is correct.

DACA policy has provided temporary relief from deportation as well as work authorization to approximately 800,000 undocumented young people across the country.  The data show that 91 percent of respondents are currently employed. Among respondents age 25 and older, employment jumps to 93 percent.  The average hourly wage of respondents increased by 69 percent since receiving DACA, rising from $10.29 per hour to $17.46 per hour.  The data also show that 16 percent of respondents purchased their first home after receiving DACA.  Previous research has shown that DACA beneficiaries will contribute $460.3 billion to the U.S. gross domestic product over the next decade—economic growth that would be lost were DACA to be eliminated.  At a time when the continuing existence of DACA is facing its most serious threat ever, understanding the benefits of the program for recipients; their families and communities; and to the nation as a whole is all the more important.

Are our young citizens between the ages of 25 and 31... 91% employed, making $17.46 per hour and able to purchase their first home?  I do hope Congress makes a decision during this six months that will benefit all concerned and the US economy, our families and communities.

3 hours ago, SueSTx said:

Are our young citizens between the ages of 25 and 31... 91% employed, making $17.46 per hour and able to purchase their first home?  I do hope Congress makes a decision during this six months that will benefit all concerned and the US economy, our families and communities.

Depends on where you live...in the greater Bay Area, absolutely not. My house, purchased for just over $100k over 30 years ago would now probably sell for close to if not over $1M. DD pays twice my housepayment in rent for a house close to the same size. I was looking at property in northern Alabama this past year and almost bought a duplex in excellent shape on an acre in a town with good employability for $70k. The payment would have been less than $300 per month with an additional $200 +/- per month for taxes. Someone making $17 per hour and a decent credit rating could afford this easily, especially if there are two incomes. In major cities this is nearly impossible. 

Unfortunately, the DACA folks are subjected to rumors and fear of deportation at every turn. That's not right, but its so very common in the undocumented population. 

Am I mistaken, or isn't there a bad part of DACA that does NOT allow them to become citizens?  Did they not understand that going in? 

TY for the link - it just came in handy w/someone who is saying the opposite!

1 person likes this

Albert Mohler in his message about DACA gives the best explanation to this whole issue and why Congress has to fix this now.

America has a lengthy history of turning a blind eye-

But now is the time to step up and "fix" this once and for all...not just change the bandaide.  It is time for Congress to put on their big 'girl' panties and fix it.  It is their job to do, so do it.

Edited by SueSTx
1 person likes this