• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
Mame925

Vegan Desserts

8 posts in this topic

My #2 GGirlie (age 5) is recently diagnosed with dairy & egg allergies...Within two weeks of allergen free eating, the eczema and tummy troubles are GONE! However, while she gets the correlation between what she eats & how her body feels and is happily ignoring cheese & yogurt by substituting almond or soy milk and other dairy free products, she's a dessert queen. Birthday parties are killer for her because the cakes have eggs/butter/milk/cream cheese, etc. Yesterday her cousin's bday cake had cream filling and whipped cream icing...we need a plan.

Vegan dessert recipes are much appreciated.

Vegan Chocolate Cake

3c flour, 1 3/4c sugar, 1/3c cocoa, 2t soda, 1T baking powder - mix all together in big bowl.
2/3c canola oil, 2c water, 1 1/2t vanilla, 2T white vinegar, mix together and dump into bowl of flour/dry.
Mix, pour into two 9" rounds, greased. Bake 350 for 18-23 min.

Frost with powdered sugar mixed into organic vegan spread (add flavoring/extract if desired).

Vegan Strawberry Shortcake

Make your usual shortcakes, using crisco v butter, add vanilla if it's not your usual. Clean and macerate fresh strawberries. Assemble at serving using bottom half of shortcake, strawberries, vegan almond milk ice cream, top half of shortcake, remainder of strawberries and more vegan ice cream.

Edited by JanelleK
add shortcakes, works for most everybody
2 people like this

I knew Janelle would have at least one yummy recipe for us.

Thanks Janelle

I don't have any specific recipes, but I understand the vegan process. DD has lived the vegan life style for many years.

In most recipes using butter, smart balance light or earth balance can be used as a substitute they are non-dairy.  For eggs, there are many products g-egg replacement, Bob's Red Mill egg replacement. Soy milk, rice milk, coconut milk can be used as a milk replacement. Pureed tofu, ground flax seeds, and mashed bananas can be used as substitutes in almost any recipe.Trader Joe's has vegan chips that can be used in chocolate chips for cookies.

You can use almost any of your favorite recipes and add  replacements that don't include dairy or eggs.

Hope it's ok to mention products by names. I have no interest in any of the companies other than helping members.

3 people like this

To top the vegan strawberry shortcakes, try cashew whipped cream. You do need a pretty powerful blender to make it smooth, and it tastes best well chilled, so make well ahead. You can also make this thinner and use this in lieu of coffee creamer and flavor it with hazelnut extract instead of vanilla. And you can make ice cream by adding a can of full fat coconut milk and blending with everything else and freezing. You can add pieces of fruit prior to freezing, or nuts, or pieces of chocolate, or stir in some caramel or, if your are over 21, rum-soaked raisins.  :)

1 cup raw unsalted cashews, soaked overnight
a couple tablespoons filtered water
2 tablespoons maple syrup (to taste)
1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract (to taste)
pinch of salt

Drain the cashews, and discard the soaking water.
Pour the filtered water into the blender, add the soaked cashews & everything else. Blend on high until smooth and creamy. You can add more water if you want it thinner.
Chill, covered, for a few hours to thicken the cream.
Will keep in the fridge for 3 or 4 days.

1 person likes this

Do you refrigerate the soaking nuts?

17 hours ago, SueSTx said:

Do you refrigerate the soaking nuts?

I do refrigerate them while they soak. Some people only soak them for a few hours and just keep them on the counter. I haven't tried it that way.

I like the chocolate avocado pudding and or mousse-