• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
SueSTx

Fall soups and stews

22 posts in this topic

Well Friday was the first day of autumn and we were lucky to get over 3 inches of much needed rain over the weekend.  Yesterday was damp and misty so I decided to make a pot of soup.  Kielbasa was the only meat I had thawed and went with that.

I sautéed onions, celery and carrots with a bit of "fake butter".  Then I added potatoes and chicken broth and simmered til the taters were done and added a package of oven browned diced sausage and got it good and hot.

Hubby voted to do it again.  I took a ham out of the freezer this morning, so it will be ham and potato soup the end of the week.

Please feel free to share a 'recipe idea' with us.  We might not have given it a thought and are open to new ideas.

1 person likes this

Whenever leftovers start to take over - we make soup - not a fall thing - more because we're cheap. Yesterday we had leftover pintos, yellow onion and red onion, 3 yellow peppers, 3 baked potatoes, red sauce and pasta, vegetable broth, salsa, and 2 zucchini that had to be used-right-now. I chopped veg, picked/minced herbs, and made soup, added the zucchini and pasta right before serving. I made two loaves of bread and picked our trees for plum-apple-pear-sauce.

Our DGD, ODD, and I love bread. Her 2 brothers and my husband love soup. Leftovers gone!

My grandmother prepared broccoli rabe in such a way that it could be considered soup- Greens like kale, collard, and turnip greens could be prepared similarly- The greens are simmered in broth along with a whole onion (chopped), whole head of garlic (peeled ..) 1/4 cup of olive oil and when done the juice of one lemon- A good loaf of bread and any kind of pesto- Toss a scant handful of pecorino in your bowl if you eat cheese- When using broccoli rabe, don't stir the pot- Cook 30 minutes on low simmer and then gently flip with tongs and simmer 30 more- My grandmother and family always cooked the rabe with meat but I make it without and it's just as good in my book-

My mother was cheap  or "poor" depends on how you see it.  She always bought groceries on Saturday morning including one mall bag of chips and a pkg of buns..  She then  ground all the left over cooked meats,  meatloaf, fried chicken, hb patties, pork chops or whatever...added bbq sauce and served BBQ sandwiches for lunch.  Us kids had a treat of chips and polished off the leftovers.  For some reason there weren't any vegetables leftover.  I think she ate them for lunch the next day.  She never was much of a meat lover.  

My own DDs favorite meal was when I simply warmed over all leftovers and she could have veges only.

My Mom used to make Farmhouse or Poor Man's stew, depending on how "poor" you are would depend on the meat to cabbage ratio... Essentially it is sauted onion, ground beef (browned first), Cabbage, 1 large can diced tomato, tomato sauce (1 large can) and tomato juice (one big can OR on quart homemade)... season with salt pepper, hot sauce, and worchestershire (I can't spell it lol but it adds a zip).....Now some people call it "unstuffed cabbage roll soup" but my Mom has made it for years, I always make a big pot this time of year.

MMM... everything sounds so good here...

One of my birthday gifts from DD is an "Instant Pot"....its the new wave of countertop cookers that takes the place of a slow cooker & pressure cooker. All my girls plus my sister swear by theirs. DS even has one in his barracks apt (his work-week home). I have the 3qt...since I usually cook for just me. Supposedly, like a pressure cooker, you can do a pot of beans in 15 minutes rather than a few hours. It has a searing/saute feature, you can make cheesecake, yogurt etc....Apparently just for the time savings its a dream...and you can use meats straight from the freezer....interesting times ahead.

Hawaiian Ranch Chicken (my sister's making 3, fall tailgate food)

A rotisserie chicken, pulled and shredded.
Place bones, skin, drippings in a pan with 3 cups water, simmer 20-30 minutes, strain, de-fat.
Saute 2 chopped onions. Add to liquid.
Add cornstarch to liquid, whisking well, cooking until thick-gravy consistency.
Stir a jar of Hawaiian mango salsa into the gravy/liquid (OR Rotel tomatoes and green chilies)
Bag of corn chips (13-15 oz size) crushed. OR torn corn tortillas.
Shred some sharp cheddar (3-4 c) OR use part pepper jack.

Layer in big crock pot that you can oven bake in or a large pyrex that fits in your turkey-roaster. The chips or tortillias, 1/2 the liquid/onion mix, chicken, 1/2 the cheese, other half liquid mix. Bake at 325 for 30 minutes or so, top with remaining cheese and bake again until melted. Keep warm in crock pot or turkey-roaster. Serve with sour cream, Hawaiian salsa, and chopped Hawaiian avocados.
Edited by JanelleK

Wedding Soup  (only serves 6, as written)

Meatballs: 1/2 lb veal and 1/2 lb lean pork, pecorino, egg, pesto, bread crumbs, rolled/chilled to firm.
Chicken stock: 1 1/2qt, de-fatted,  ever how you make it, everybody does differently.
Bring stock to boiling. Add sauteed shallots, parsley, herbs, fine diced carrots and simmer.
Add meatballs and strozzapreti. Simmer until just before pasta is done, add greens, finish cooking.
Serve with cheese on top and side of heavy Italian farm bread. My MIL's fall/winter favorite.

We made some yesterday because it holds/transports well half-cooked, crockpot finish. It's very good.

Edited by JanelleK
addition
1 person likes this

Squash green apple soup with cream swirl and toasted pepitos scream fall. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, PattyGram said:

Squash green apple soup with cream swirl and toasted pepitos scream fall. 

Recipe?

Squash and apples sounds delightful.

1 person likes this

Split Pea Soup with Choriz

8 cups of low sodium chicken stock                                             2 bay leaves                           

1lb of green split peas, rinsed                                                       2  carrots ,diced

1 medium onion, chopped                                                            1/2 lb of diced chorizo

1 celery stock, chopped                                                                salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours. Remove bay leaves and season with salt and black pepper before serving.

1 person likes this

Corn Chowder

4 medium potatoes, cut bite size                                        4-6 ears of corn. Remove the kennels from the cob.

1 garlic clove minced (optional)                                           1 medium onion, chopped

5 cans of low sodium vegetable stock                               1 cup of half and half

6 slices of cooked bacon, cut in small pieces                    1/4 cup of parsley and chives each (to top)

Place potatoes, onion, garlic in crock pot cover with about half of the stock. Cook until potatoes are tender about 2-3 hrs. Add corn, bacon, half and half and rest of stock. Cook at least one more hr until soup is hot. Spoon into bowls and top with small amounts parsley and  chives.

1 person likes this

Tortellini Soup  (only serves 6, as written)

Chicken stock: 1 1/2 - 2qt, de-fatted,  ever how you make it, everybody does differently.
Bring stock to boiling. Add parsley, herbs, chopped sauteed onions and garlic, simmer.
Add your favorite 2-3 c Tortellini, my husband makes mushroom. Simmer until Tortellini are done.
Serve with heavy bread, buttered, toasted, cubed and grated parm - on top.

My husband is worried about ODD, her boys, and MDS son. They are getting home late, hungry, tired (MDS lives across the field, his kids carpool to school/activities with ODD). He grilled a big flank steak last night for some sandwiches, made pasta salad and brownies for after practice today. They could each/all eat during/after the practices before they leave for home.

Now he made one of his favorites, leftover steak soup, for tomorrow and Friday.

Leftover Steak Soup
To 6-8c broth add:  2-3 chopped carrots, 2-3 ears corn kernels, stalk of chopped celery, herbs, pepper - cook until vegetables are just soft. Add sauteed onion, 3-4 chopped baked potatoes, smoked paprika, a cup of red sauce and lots of cubed cooked steak. Heat through well. Dump in hot Thermos. Serve with heavy bread, fruit, brownies. Easy, filling, and frugal.

Edited by JanelleK
clarity
2 people like this

Hunter's Chill

4lb beef hamburg (or venison)                                                      1 15 oz can of tomato sauce

1 chopped onion                                                                          2  small cans of tomato paste

2tbs cumin                                                                                  1tbs cayenne

4oz chill powder                                                                           1 tbs paprirka

2tbs crushed garlic                                                                       2 small cans of green chiles

juice of 1 fresh lime                                                                      1  12 oz beer

2-3 habanero peppers chopped with seeds removed. These can be left out if you don't like hot.

Brown meat and drain. In a large pot add meat and the rest of ingredients, simmer for about  2hrs. Add beans if desired.

Serve with  sour cream, cheese,corn bread or taco chips.                                               

1 person likes this

Cleaning up my garden used produce to make a Tomato Vegetable Soup in Slow Cooker

3 cans low sodium chicken broth, 1 medium  onion,  2 stalks of celery sliced thin. Next produce from garden, 1 medium carrot chopped, about 2 cups of butternut squash cut bite size, 5-6 fresh tomatoes cored and cut in half, 1 small zucchini, about 2 cups of yellow beans. Other veges could be used summer squash, broccoli, cauliflower or whatever you have. Add a can of tomato paste to thicken and  a can of white kidney beans. Cook for 3-4 hours. Top with parm cheese to serve.  

Edited by DaisyJane
2 people like this

Our last fall tailgate, we're on for the main-dish in our newly finished basement digs/patio in CollegeTown. The kiddies love sleeping on air-mattresses on the cement floors or sprawled all over the sofas, amused by nothing whatsoever. Some of our AC love occasionally sleeping without some of their kiddies. Win-win-win.

I'm making all the breads, sisters are bringing all the desserts, brother and his ILs are on for all the drinks and paper, and my sweet husband is making Italian Pasta Soup in a huge quantity.

Pasta Soup (only 8-10 servings)

1 lb dry cannellini beans, cooked in broth, drained - 1/2 pureed with some cooking broth
olive oil
6 garlic grated
2 big yellow onions chopped fine
1 lb skinned, finely chopped tomatoes and 1 c Italian red sauce
salt and pepper, red pepper is my FOO favorite
12 c broth (I make veg, mil made veal, she added lots of chopped pancetta to the soup)
big sprig rosemary, chopped
1 lb pasta, he makes whole wheat farfalle for this because his mom's way is best  ;)

Saute onions in oil adding garlic when onions half sauteed. When onions and garlic are done add beans, broth, tomatoes, rosemary - cook 30 minutes - add salt and pepper to taste. Add pasta and cook until pasta is just done. Serve with pecorino and heavy bread.

Edited by JanelleK
1 person likes this

This one sounds wonderfully yummy..

Mame, I think you may like another version as well or better. My brother called, his wife is having tests - include giving up tomatoes, could my husband make 1/3 of the soup tomato free? Mama (my mil) made it with basil and extra garlic sometimes, right? First off, don't tell us SisIL's private medical stuff and 2nd we have snow, basil is dead. No, my brother saw a big pot of basil in the shop on Halloween. Oh yeah, his wife did say he was supposed to keep her health private. He would be the mil from hell.  ;)

To make Pasta Soup with Basil, use half again more garlic, omit the red pepper, tomatoes and red sauce, add 1/2 c (tightly packed) basil to the beans that go in the processor and a cup of dry white wine. My husband made 6 lbs of pasta, cooked 6 lbs of beans and had only finished soup with 3 lbs, so we'll have an even split of soup - red and green (ahhh, the Italian way).

They sound good-