• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
RoseRed135

What's your favorite type of Halloween costume? (Question of the Month, October 2017)

5 posts in this topic

Well, it's that time of year again - Halloween's coming up soon! So now I'm thinking... Do you just love to see kids in traditional Halloween costumes, such as witches and ghosts? Or do you prefer more trendy costumes, such as the latest cartoon, storybook or movie characters (Moana, Sonic, etc.)? Or perhaps you favor more original choices? Or maybe you like any costume that's beautiful/handsome? Or??

In short, what's your favorite kind of Halloween costume?

ETA: Or perhaps you favor homemade costumes over store-bought or vice versa?

Edited by RoseRed135

I like originality & imagination. When DD was about 18 months old I made her a pink flannel nightgown, an aluminum foil "crown" and a septre with a foil star on a stick. She was warm enough for her dad to carry her around a few neighborhood houses. She had the nightgown for a long time! As a 6yo she did the princess thing again with a thin muslin "gossamer" gown and a floral headpiece she wore in her dad's wedding. My nephew was the Pillsbury Doughboy one year in white flannel PJs and a chef's hat with an emblem from a roll of dough...he was probably 3 or 4 at the time.  I did like to make their costumes....We've had cheerleaders, prisoners in black & white stripes, a lifeguard (old fashioned style striped tank swimsuit, pith helmet & life preserver she wore around her waist and a whistle), a hobo, clown...all easy to make. DH was the most fun to do a costume. My favorite was his "devil"....he rented a white tux with red accessories as well as a scarf. I made a red tail that attached to the pants and peeked out of the jacket vent. He had a pitchfork and the horns were attached with eyelash glue where his hairline was receding...with the hair combed around them they looked like they were growing right out of his head. He darkened his beard & eyebrows...very sophisticated and charming Lucifer. 

1 person likes this

Ours are all homemade, cheap, and always have been. We have every one I've ever made, I think, in a basement closet. All our kids and grands select from that closet or ask for whatever they want made. I like to sew easy cheap stuff that nobody cares much about (perfect stitches or fit over warm clothes). My husband and I alternate years between my HS skirt/sweater along with his letter sweater/jeans and other couples stuff like Red/Wolf, Dorothy/Lion, Angel/Devil. We've made some really fun costumes.

ETA: My husband and my costumes are, naturally, ramped way up beyond kiddies stuff. Example I wear very high red sequin heels when I am Dorothy and my Red Riding cape is magnificent.

For fall 2017 we've just finished making lots of fairy light jars for those who want (and for our outdoor spaces).

Edited by JanelleK

It's very rare in my in-city neighborhood for any trick-or-treaters to wear Halloween costumes of any kind at all, unfortunately. So I really miss seeing them. When I was raising my kids in a much smaller town (30 years ago) their costumes were usually homemade and thrown together from whatever we could find in the house, since I was a poor single mother. But there was a grown man in our neighborhood who always went way over the top and dressed up in a very scary outfit to hand out his candy to the kids, and he was the highlight of our trick-or-treating experience each year. We used to carve three pumpkins into jack-o-lanterns every year on the night before Halloween (I did one, and each of my kids did their own) and we'd put them on our porch along with a bowl of candy for whoever came by while we were gone. I don't even carve a pumpkin any more - no one does in my neighborhood here - but my grown sons still do. Halloween used to be my favorite holiday when my kids were little. 

Thanks for these interesting replies, ladies!

Not much of a seamstress, I never made my kids' costumes. But I'm another one who values "originality & imagination."* So I always tried to make sure we added our own touches to their store-bought costumes. "Red Riding Hood" carried a basket as her T or T bag. "Snow White" had a real apple tied to hers. Etc :)

. YDD sometimes adds extra touches to her kids' costumes, but not as often as I did.

*In recent years, though, I've developed a fondness for traditional Halloween costumes, especially on little kids. Whether their costume is homemade or store-bought that little witch or ghost always makes me smile. :)

Not that so many come to our door, anymore. @Abuela303 , T or T is different where I live now, too. Kids still dress up, but their parents are more likely to take them to T or T at local stores than at people's homes. They say it's "safer," etc.

Edited by RoseRed135