• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Apple-picking, pumpkin-carving, fall festivals, etc. - What's your favorite fall activity to share with your kids/grandkids?

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

What fall activity do/did/would you most enjoy sharing w/ your children/grandchildren/other relative kids? Apple-picking? Carving jack-o-lanterns? Fall festivals? Raking leaves? Autumn art projects? Or ??

And, if you will, does/did this seem to change over the years as they get/got older? Or if they're still little, do you think it will?

Edited by RoseRed135
title

We do a yearly fall yard party. Only our kids, their kiddies, my siblings and their kids/kiddies, Church/school friends are invited. We all wear costumes. We have a bonfire, eat, play games, and generally have a lovely time. The big pots of mums, hay bales, and ton of pumpkins have been delivered. All we have to do is close down the pool and paint the fronts of the round bales as jack-o-lanterns, arrange tons of mums and pumpkins. I've made a couple of costumes and the jar lights, cooked/frozen the do-ahead food, and ordered the apples and cider. Good-to-go.

Posted (edited)

One of my neighbors grows giant pumpkins, (800-1000 lbs) this year they decide to turn 6 or 7 into boats and do a pumpkin race for charity. They enlisted a popular state senator, to be one of the paddlers and sold chances to paddle in the others "boats" The event will be in a local park. Vendors selling food, games for kids, other fun stuff. Should be a good day.

Our annual trip to our favorite local orchard to pick apples, eat donuts and drink cider or trip to the pumpkin patch to select  pumpkins with DGD  now needs to fit in between field hockey, band / music lessons and time with friends. So happy to see her growing up!

Adults revived Annual Halloween Party on again , but I'm not hosting.

Edited by DaisyJane
wording
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

This fall we've been watching the clouds.  We've had over 7 inches of rain in the last two weeks.  Very unusual for us no matter what the season.  Some folks have water in their drives, I live on a hill.

Edited by SueSTx

We've had very "fallish" weather this week. Warm days, cool mornings/nights. It's really very nice. I'm having some windows replaced (my house is an 1890 cottage, the windows were original!) because it was so cold last winter and my utility bills skyrocketed....hoops to jump through with the preservation society, but going well. And I had the #1GB yesterday...he had some oral surgery getting ready for orthodontia...so recovered with me yesterday...he's fine. 

I miss my garden....next project is the back yard....

YDD is in the middle of a very busy semester, including a course that is "writing intensive."  So she doesn't have as much time this year for special fall or Halloween-related activites. My DGC were able, though, to go apple-picking, recently, w/ ODD, SIL and several members of SIL's FOO. They had a lot of fun! Also, they each got their own pumpkin at a "Harvest Festival" at school. (YDD will help them turn the pumpkins into jack-o-lanterns this weekend.)  Despite her busy schedule, YDD will take them T or T'ing on Halloween and to their school's Halloween Party this Friday.

As for me, I've been invited to join them at the Halloween Party (not DH's kind of thing). I'm looking forward to going and seeing my grands interacting w/ their friends in all their different costumes. :)

On 10/3/2017 at 0:12 PM, JanelleK said:

We do a yearly fall yard party. Only our kids, their kiddies, my siblings and their kids/kiddies, Church/school friends are invited. We all wear costumes. We have a bonfire, eat, play games, and generally have a lovely time. The big pots of mums, hay bales, and ton of pumpkins have been delivered. All we have to do is close down the pool and paint the fronts of the round bales as jack-o-lanterns, arrange tons of mums and pumpkins. I've made a couple of costumes and the jar lights, cooked/frozen the do-ahead food, and ordered the apples and cider. Good-to-go.

Have any of these events taken place yet, ladies? If so, how did they go?

On 10/3/2017 at 5:39 PM, DaisyJane said:

One of my neighbors grows giant pumpkins, (800-1000 lbs) this year they decide to turn 6 or 7 into boats and do a pumpkin race for charity. They enlisted a popular state senator, to be one of the paddlers and sold chances to paddle in the others "boats" The event will be in a local park. Vendors selling food, games for kids, other fun stuff. Should be a good day.

Our annual trip to our favorite local orchard to pick apples, eat donuts and drink cider or trip to the pumpkin patch to select  pumpkins with DGD  now needs to fit in between field hockey, band / music lessons and time with friends. So happy to see her growing up!

Rose,

The Pumpkin Paddle was lots of fun!  DH won a spot to paddle, don't even know how many chances he bought but, it was for a good cause. He managed to keep the pumpkin upright  and not dunk himself. Guess all his boating experience came in handy. I just couldn't stop laughing watching him. The joke was on me when I had to ride home with him and then wash his clothes the next day.

1 person likes this

22 hours ago, RoseRed135 said:

Have any of these events taken place yet, ladies? If so, how did they go?

Yes, our yard party was a couple of weeks ago. We collected a lot of canned goods for our Church food drive. Everyone seemed to love the food and games have a great time. Upcoming FOO Halloween on the 31st - everyone is excited. Our kids/kiddies have costumes and jar lights. My husband and I are ready for treaters and jack-o-lanterns. eta: Here, Halloween is a family-event.

Edited by JanelleK
1 person likes this

Went w/ YDD and my granddolls to the Halloween Party at the kids' school. Kids had a lot of fun w/ their friends and it was a pleasure to watch them. The rocked their costumes, IMO (but hey, I'm "Gramma" :) )! But they both chose popular characters, so a lot of their friends had the same ones. For that reason, neither of them joined the annual costume contest, nor did they seem to care ("growing up"... sigh... also, DGD said the "Haunted House" was "boring" this year). They were more interested in the games, music, food and just hanging out w/ their friends. :) .

Leafing in the 14ers, done. Visit with out town family, done. Tomorrow cluck on about grands and hand out their gifts and candy. Nice run up to TG! 

I'll be handing out candy (I plan on buying it tomorrow and getting stuff I don't like) while watching what I hope is the final World Series game for 2017...

Some years I get a lot of kids, sometime only a handful...

On 10/30/2017 at 5:28 PM, Mame925 said:

I'll be handing out candy (I plan on buying it tomorrow and getting stuff I don't like) while watching what I hope is the final World Series game for 2017...

Some years I get a lot of kids, sometime only a handful...

Me too (in response to the bolded). Hopefully, YDD will bring the granddolls to our door, She usually does - then a few other houses and they'll be off to T or T at the local stores!

ETA: Actually, turns out I was wrong. After our house, they drove over to ODD's & SIL's and hit the stores there. :)

Edited by RoseRed135

We decided, last minute, to hand out treats from my husband/brother shop/garage out on the back of our property - so we could watch the game out in the shop. The kids and kiddies loved the whole super dark cold outdoor with bonfire/inside warm cozy TV thing. Costumes! Treats! As DGD says - Goooody Hallooooeeen!

1 person likes this

I had THREE small groups of kids in 3 hours...seriously? I did get candy I don't care for, so will put it in the freezer then probably give most of it to DS, since it is something he does like.

I had several small groups with a total of 14 kids.

My DIL took her two to a party on Friday night, a school carnival and the Church trunk or treat on Saturday night, the zoo feature on Sunday afternoon and to the mall on Tuesday.  I don't think even city kids go door to door anymore because there is just so many "safer" activities available.

I wish our small community had a lighted parking lot we could use for trunk or treat.  It would be so much easier for us all.