• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LaToyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
SueSTx

Las Vegas

28 posts in this topic

My heart is sad this morning to hear about the events taking place last night in Vegas.  Praying for all the families involved.

Edited by SueSTx

Horrible .. heartbreaking .. sad ..

Ditto to both posts above.

Also, I hope none of our members or their loved ones were hurt in that horrific and tragic incident.

The folks I know who were there have checked in safe...friends who live there weren't at the show. This whole event just makes me sick.

Had a scare when no one could reach my cousin and his wife....but both are safe.  Heartbreaking.   Between Hurricanes, the death of my BFF of 30 years in a car accident and now this slaughter  my head is reeling and my heart is broken.   

This requires more than thoughts and prayers of sympathy and condolence. This requires action. And if we all, in our own ways great and small, choose inaction? Then the blood is on our hands, too.

I know this is a heavy post, but believe me, I'm not yelling here. I'm not urging. I'm not preaching. I'm quietly typing out the truth, the observation that we're all just standing by, watching congresspeople, concert-goers and 5-year-olds get shot up by "responsible gun owners" who amass arsenals and use them. And we've collectively done nothing, or it woudn't be happening so frequently.

2 people like this

My understanding is he had 23 guns in the hotel and 19 more at his home.  What is responsible about that?  This is not simply being a gun owner.  I have a shotgun in the closet.  The only thing it has been used for is to kill a rattlesnake in the garden.  What isn't responsible about that?

Edited by SueSTx

The man who carried out the attack was a responsible gun owner by law- I'm saying that only due to the way in which his personal gun ownership was reported in the news, that all of his guns were purchased legally, he had no history of mental illness, no criminal activity to speak of- Perhaps they found out more since the last report I viewed/listened to/read- If inaccurate, someone please speak up and make corrections-

Paul Ryan says mental health reform is a "critical ingredient" in stopping mass shootings. I believe the same.

4 people like this

Inequality, racism, superiority, disenfranchisement, poverty, distribution, healthcare, trade school, college .. the reform list that will lead to reducing depression/mental health issues is long ..

2 hours ago, SueSTx said:
 Paul Ryan says mental health reform is a "critical ingredient" in stopping mass shootings. I believe the same.

That's part of it, but we also need to keep better track of the arsenals people amass, and it needs to be harder to get guns-- permits, ongoing training, licenses, etc. We've moved waaaaay beyond "hunting rifles" and "sport shooting."

3 people like this

Yes, and his guns had been modified...in the state they were in, they were not legal.

2 people like this

The shooter owned TOO MANY guns and was seriously mentally ill. Solution? 

NO ONE who owns or desires to own an assault weapon is not now nor will ever be a responsible gun owner. Semi-auto/automatic weapons are military items. There is not a reason in the world for anyone to need one.

4 people like this

1 hour ago, Mame925 said:

NO ONE who owns or desires to own an assault weapon is not now nor will ever be a responsible gun owner. Semi-auto/automatic weapons are military items. There is not a reason in the world for anyone to need one.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjBLHuziWa8dcybpN4EJY

Edited by Komorebi
1 person likes this

On 10/2/2017 at 7:25 PM, nonna23 said:

Had a scare when no one could reach my cousin and his wife....but both are safe.  Heartbreaking.   Between Hurricanes, the death of my BFF of 30 years in a car accident and now this slaughter  my head is reeling and my heart is broken.   

No doubt, it's mindbogglng to have all this happening at once!

Deeply sorry for the loss of your BFF.

(((Hugs)))

Son called me today about this (we were out-of-town when this happened and didn't get much info) - but he had heard that this guy bought most of those guns in a month's time - so, does that make it fall back on the department that should have been checking all that??

I've only heard that he bought 33 since October 2016, not how many in any single month.

Every gun dealer 'swares' all gun purchases were legal.

" there’s no national database that keeps track of gun purchases, but the ATF does require federal firearm licensees to report the purchase of multiple handguns by the same purchaser, as mandated by the Gun Control Act of 1968. "

Edited by SueSTx

I'm wondering... would it be of any value to have a limit on the number of guns/rifles a person can own? That wouldn't have prevented this massacre, I realize, but why does any one person need an "arsenal?"

Or... would it be of any value if the Federal Government investigated anyone who purchased more than a certain number of guns/rifles?

I've the considered the incident the act of a lone gunman, a crazy man, an intricately planned, far left, gun control statement and considered the possible confiscation of bump stocks a step towards the support of a more tyrannical government who could by having bump stocks in their possession potentially use them for enforcement purposes- If outlawed, there's no way to trace who owns bump stocks- If they become illegal to own, I can only assume that if one is caught with one in their possession that they will be confiscated -- much like many other illegal possession-

After considering what Jung said about loneliness, I'm thinking that perhaps shootings are an expression of something the shooter, or shooters, were unable to communicate- Either due to their inability to express themselves in acceptable ways or simply that they were half listened to and or dismissed- It seems like since Columbine that shootings happen more frequently -- but I don't know that's fact- I do know that many, many people feel disenfranchised/marginalized -- and are often times criticized for feeling as such- 

So perhaps it would be to our benefit to hear each other out- If not just as a compassionate practice, but as an ounce of prevention- Because it seems that those who experience that feeling of being unheard are acting out in unimaginable ways-  

I have a cousin who collects guns....he's a retired sheriff's deputy and an avid hunter....However he has no assault weapons. He's a very decent guy with a hobby that suits him....

Assault weapons should never be available to anyone outside the military. My son used to carry one at work on guard duty days....on a submarine base. At the end of his shift he checked in his weapon, got in his truck & went home. How many people did he shoot? None, zero, zippo....

These mass shooters do have some sort of personal/social interaction issue, no matter what the cause. However, when someone decides to take their problems out on society as a whole that person ceases to be a victim. This person made a choice.

3 minutes ago, Mame925 said:

I have a cousin who collects guns....he's a retired sheriff's deputy and an avid hunter....However he has no assault weapons. He's a very decent guy with a hobby that suits him....

Assault weapons should never be available to anyone outside the military. My son used to carry one at work on guard duty days....on a submarine base. At the end of his shift he checked in his weapon, got in his truck & went home. How many people did he shoot? None, zero, zippo....

These mass shooters do have some sort of personal/social interaction issue, no matter what the cause. However, when someone decides to take their problems out on society as a whole that person ceases to be a victim. This person made a choice.

Yes, and I appreciate your passion for the fact- But what do you propose should be done about the fact that assault weapons have been made available and many own them-

5 minutes ago, Mame925 said:

Many soldiers took their personal issues out on the Vietnamese society as a whole-

My first thought is that being all touchy-feely for the shooter needs to stop. Like I said, once the decision is made he's no longer a victim. 

Banning/confiscation of assault weapons is the only part of any gun control I agree with. The NRA needs to get on board with it. This isn't a black/white situation the headlines make it out to be. 

25 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

If outlawed, there's no way to trace who owns bump stocks-

Do you have any idea how many unregistered/illegally owned weapons are out there now that aren't assault weapons? This is so not a simple issue. There is no simple solution. 

5 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

Many soldiers took their personal issues out on the Vietnamese society as a whole-

Don't even go there...that happens in EVERY war. VietNam was the first war "fought in our living room" via television. That's the only reason we know so much about it. 

3 minutes ago, Mame925 said:

My first thought is that being all touchy-feely for the shooter needs to stop. Like I said, once the decision is made he's no longer a victim. 

Banning/confiscation of assault weapons is the only part of any gun control I agree with. The NRA needs to get on board with it. This isn't a black/white situation the headlines make it out to be. 

Do you have any idea how many unregistered/illegally owned weapons are out there now that aren't assault weapons? This is so not a simple issue. There is no simple solution. 

Don't even go there...that happens in EVERY war. VietNam was the first war "fought in our living room" via television. That's the only reason we know so much about it. 

I will, and I did -- because I see no reason to be all touchy-feely for one group and not for the other- Senseless killing, is senseless killing- In war, in society-