• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
SueSTx

Destructive California fires

29 posts in this topic

The news about the latest California fires is so heart breaking.  I hope none of our members or their families ate directly involved.

"At least 10 people had been killed as of Monday evening. Seven deaths occurred in Sonoma County, while two people died in Napa County and one in Mendocino County."

"The fires had burned at least 73,000 acres by nightfall on Monday, destroying over 1,500 homes and forcing the evacuation of over 20,000 people, officials said."

Edited by SueSTx

Those fires are a mess....1-2 hours drive for me. One daughter lives in the fire are, but she & her family are currently safe. If she needs to get out she'll come here. We talked last night, everyone is staying inside with doors/windows closed against the smoke. She's packed up everything she'd need to save, some is by the front door, some is already in her car. 

Sadly, a high school neighbor who lived in Sonoma Country lost everything. She was evacuated barefoot & without medication! The 2 deaths in Napa county were an elderly couple, he just turned 100, who had been married 75 years. They lived in the exclusive Silverado Trail neighborhood. It's wine country & horse country. 

So sad... My heart goes out to all who are impacted...

We're still burning. The weather has been so nice by the Bay that I've had my windows open 24/7....today I can really smell the fires. And they are not slowing down. DsD decided last night to evacuate although she's not directly in the path; GB #3 is the one with the heart condition, so if their air conditioning filter fails he's at risk for more serious respiratory issues. They've gone to a friend's on the other side of the hill who is not affected and is closer than coming here. On top of that, her xH came panicked to her house to say he'd been evacuated (not true, he's in a not-yet-affected neighborhood) to say he had nowhere to go, trying to get her to let him stay there...and take care of him because he's a grown baby. That pushed her over the edge, so they left. 

Morning news:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/fires/article178234181.html

My office is close to the So Cal fires and some people that work in this building had to be evacuated from their homes.  My office smells like smoke as it appears to be seeping in, and it is just gross outside.  ODD's BF's family is from the Napa area, and they had to be evacuated.  These fires are way worse then the OC fires, and I have been getting updates from ODD who goes to college near this area. 

What starts these fires?  Are they part of everyday life in CA? Do they ever get extinguished completely? 

One of these was started by a downed power line...dry grass, bad combination. Not sure of the others, but we've had almost no rain since May, so it could be so many different things. 

True, there is most always a fire someplace, especially since California is so big with so much open space. And, historically speaking, fire a natural resource and no matter how you try, you can not control Mother Nature. 

We were concerned about fire over the course of the summer because it was so dry and we're surrounded by woods- 

I do hope those that are missing are just scattered about in shelters and so forth- 

Day 7....air quality around the entire Bay Area is awful. I haven't been out much, but just an hour the other day I came home with a horrible headache and my throat felt like I'd chain smoked 3 packs of cigarettes and an old cigar...ugh. The fires are expected to last at least another week. 

I contacted an industrial supplier to have 2 cases of P2 respirator masks sent to DsD's...overnight delivery, gotta love it! And in the middle of a disaster zone. I told her to make sure she had a stash in her emergency bag, some for right now and to share the rest as needed. The kids' masks won't be delivered until today. Their air conditioner filter system is quite good, so the air quality in their home is manageable. I have her filing a claim now with her insurance company so that when the air quality returns to normal she can get the carpets, drapes and furniture professionally cleaned...then after she washes the bedding and all of their clothes she's good to go. She'll need to get her car detailed as well... the smoke as hpermeated everything. 

She's a first responder, county employee...so she's working thru this. Some of her "millennial' co-workers have called in saying 'I don't feel safe there right now'...seriously? The county is on top it...those who come to work will get 4 hours comp time for each full day they work...if you don't work, you must use your personal time or not get paid...no sick call. 

4 hours ago, Mame925 said:

Day 7....air quality around the entire Bay Area is awful. I haven't been out much, but just an hour the other day I came home with a horrible headache and my throat felt like I'd chain smoked 3 packs of cigarettes and an old cigar...ugh. The fires are expected to last at least another week. 

I contacted an industrial supplier to have 2 cases of P2 respirator masks sent to DsD's...overnight delivery, gotta love it! And in the middle of a disaster zone. I told her to make sure she had a stash in her emergency bag, some for right now and to share the rest as needed. The kids' masks won't be delivered until today. Their air conditioner filter system is quite good, so the air quality in their home is manageable. I have her filing a claim now with her insurance company so that when the air quality returns to normal she can get the carpets, drapes and furniture professionally cleaned...then after she washes the bedding and all of their clothes she's good to go. She'll need to get her car detailed as well... the smoke as hpermeated everything. 

She's a first responder, county employee...so she's working thru this. Some of her "millennial' co-workers have called in saying 'I don't feel safe there right now'...seriously? The county is on top it...those who come to work will get 4 hours comp time for each full day they work...if you don't work, you must use your personal time or not get paid...no sick call. 

Yes, there's some departure of something going on there- Perhaps a certain degree of selflessness that rescue work of any kind requires- Did you get yourself a respirator, too? (I hope)  And if you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase them from? Ive always thought that they'd be a good investment- Please send me a message if listing the company isn't permissible-

the company is ULine....add the.com and you're good to go. As they are industrial, it's by the case...just sayin'

ULINE INDUSTRIAL RESPIRATORS

MODEL
NO.
DESCRIPTION RATING QTY./
CTN.
PRICE PER CARTON ADD TO
CART
1 3 12+
  S-9632 Standard Respirator N95 20 $12 $11 $10 ADD
  S-19252 Deluxe Respirator 15 14 13 ADD

DH was a plumbing contractor, so have some here. The kids masks I ordered from Amazon, which were delivered to her today....this will give them more flexibility around town. 

I raised "do-gooder" kids...with a solid work ethic. None of them are afraid of anything. I was raised by a fireman....you just do what you've gotta do. I have donations ready to go. I won't go into the area unless it's emergent (I have asthma, so its a risk vs benefit situation). My kids are appalled at calling out over this since it's first responder work, not support services....DS is a Navy Chief with two tours of Iraq behind him as well as time spent in the submarine corps chasing pirates around the Indian Ocean and other things one doesn't tell his mother. 

This is their life at the moment: (anonymous author posted on facebook)

For all my out of town family and friends. This is life right now.

We are “the lucky ones.” We haven’t lost our homes...yet. Yet there’s another wind event coming, and with it, new evacuations and renewed concern. This is our reality right now:

We all have a story from that first night, how much time we had, or didn’t have, to pack up mementos and get out; some stories are far more harrowing than others.
Those of us who didn’t have to evacuate have played the “at what point should I leave and where to go” game; it’s not a fun game. 
Some of us have played musical houses, because the danger zone keeps changing; also not a fun game.
We end all conversations with “stay safe.”
We all know somebody who lost everything.
We all mourn and honor those who lost lives. 
We now know what N95 means.
We have “liked” the Facebook pages of every official City/County page that might bring us news the fastest, because Facebook is the chosen avenue to get info to the community.
We live on Facebook, and can’t even go to sleep at night without checking all the official pages to see how close the nearest evac order is.
Our Facebook feed is filled with missing persons, missing and found pets, heartbreaking photos and videos, volunteer efforts, shelters, gofundme links, questions such as “how do I get my mail if my house burned down?” and miscellaneous helpful information.
We all now know what Nixle is and we flinch a little when we see a text message from 888-777.
We go to bed with our clothes on the side of the bed, ready to hop into them like a fireman’s uniform. 
We wake up in the middle of the night and check Facebook.
We live hour-to-hour and can’t make plans for tomorrow without checking fire status.
Helicopters, bombers and sirens surround us every day.
We see lots of fire/sheriff/military vehicles on the road, from cities far and wide who’ve come to help, and we stay out of the left lane for them. 
We’ve had our most cherished mementos packed in our cars for days, and our cars backed into our driveways for quick exit should it become necessary.
We have gas, electric, and cellular outages, so that we’re essentially camping in our own homes.
We’re grateful for these inconveniences, because there are so many who have it worse than us. 
We are ready for this **** to be over. So ready.
We are united in our hatred of these ****** fires and the evil winds that feed them. 
We are united as a community, whose hearts weep for those who are suffering, and want to help.
We are united in our desire to rebuild our beautiful community.
We are #SonomaCountyStrong #napastrong

Mame, I recall you mentioning that natural disaster follows you .. there's a report of a woman in the news who was at the Las Vegas shootings and has now lost her home during the wildfires ..

Thanks for the link to ULine- We live in a wooded area and figured it might be a good idea to have them-

The Facebook post is a vivid description, very similar to the ones coming out of Puerto Rico, also on Facebook-

A hurricane (Ophelia) is headed towards Ireland .. supposedly the worst Atlantic storm to hit them in almost 60 years ..

Natural disasters are everywhere...I live in earthquake country, but my house sits on a rock in the Bay...travel frequently through tornado alley and followed hurricanes across the gulf...I have a significant level of responsibility for my situation, huh?

I'm somewhat of a fatalist. Something is going to get you...so you take the steps to be a safe as possible while still living a full life. 

Edited by Mame925

10 hours ago, Mame925 said:

Day 7....air quality around the entire Bay Area is awful. I haven't been out much, but just an hour the other day I came home with a horrible headache and my throat felt like I'd chain smoked 3 packs of cigarettes and an old cigar...ugh. OMG! So sorry about that! Hope you feel better now. The fires are expected to last at least another week.... Sigh...

I contacted an industrial supplier to have 2 cases of P2 respirator masks sent to DsD's...overnight delivery, gotta love it! Good thinking! And in the middle of a disaster zone. I told her to make sure she had a stash in her emergency bag, some for right now and to share the rest as needed. The kids' masks won't be delivered until today. Their air conditioner filter system is quite good, so the air quality in their home is manageable. I have her filing a claim now with her insurance company so that when the air quality returns to normal she can get the carpets, drapes and furniture professionally cleaned...then after she washes the bedding and all of their clothes she's good to go. She'll need to get her car detailed as well... the smoke as hpermeated everything. 

She's a first responder, county employee...so she's working thru this. Bless her! Some of her "millennial' co-workers have called in saying 'I don't feel safe there right now'...seriously? The county is on top it...those who come to work will get 4 hours comp time for each full day they work...if you don't work, you must use your personal time or not get paid...no sick call.

Hmm... that's probably the self-preservation instinct kicking in. And a part of me gets that. But, IMO, a first responder is supposed to be able to override that and do their best to rescue/help others. I'm not saying it's easy. I don't think I could do it. That's why I have such respect and admiration for the brave people (like your DSD) who do this work. But, in my view, if you (general) don't feel you can handle these situations, then don't become a first responder.

ETA: The FB post brought tears to my eyes and a lump to my throat. :sad:

Edited by RoseRed135

This particular "first responder" is with the foster care system. They have to continually account for their foster kids/families and see that they get the services they need during this time of upheaval...It's a big responsibility and her departments aren't all that big.

Wow.

Yep...my kids all said "suck it up and go to work"...

I also read several articles that basically called what CA has experienced in recent years regarding fires and drought the new California normal-

Just awful, and projected to be more and more common.

Edited by ConstanceS
spelling

So sorry to hear that this is happening once more. Hoping none of our members or their families are affected. (I have some relatives in California, but not near these fires, TG.)

ETA: Posted a link here, earlier, but it disappeared. So trying again:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/06/us/ventura-fire-southern-california/index.html

Edited by RoseRed135

This is a disaster of epic proportions.  Saying prayers for relief.

Another set of fires in less than 60 days...praying for relief from the winds and RAIN

I'm praying, too, ladies.

Stay safe, everyone.