• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
RoseRed135

Food addiction?

12 posts in this topic

Mine is celery. I eat celery quite often, I do count the sodium in my daily food intake.

On 10/14/2017 at 1:00 AM, RoseRed135 said:

Do you feel you are addicted to a certain food, type of food or meal? And, if you will, how do you handle that?

Cornflakes with lots of cold milk which is why I NEVER have cornflakes in the house :crazy: 

1 person likes this

I'm not sure if it's "addiction" or "bad habits"....which this morning I have no room to talk because I'm sitting here with a large vanilla latte and donuts (took my BIL/niece to the airport at 6:30, so stopped on way home)...I like donuts, can only eat them in morning (if I have them later I get heartburn, odd) so don't get them often. 

You get your taste buds used to certain foods. Also, your taste buds, like anything else can have their own preferences. Some people have more prominent salty buds so go for the celery, salted popcorn, chips, etc...Janelle, health conscious, eats the celery, not the chips...savory buds like spicier foods...sweet buds like sugary stuff...Each "buds preference" can be managed with healthier options...that's where I think it's about creating good habits.

Oh I know all the healthy foods, the raw fruits and snacks, the no calorie drinks and a healthy salad etc...but my taste buds are never satisfied.  I feel  hungry, it doesn't matter what I eat...fattening or healthy.  At one point, I just gave up and ate whatever I wanted whenever I wanted it along with a lot of water and unsweetened decaf tea, and I lost 20 pounds.  

I am a person when I count calories (try to eat healthy) all I do is think of food.  If I get food off my mind, I do better though I don't think I will even maintain my ideal weight.  I do have some digestive issues where if I eat a lot of fiber, I get perpetual diarrhea  which is an issue in itself since some daily medications tend to cause that issue also.

For me anyway, there is more to maintaining a healthy diet/weight than exercise (which my doctor restricts) to calories in and calories out.

5 hours ago, Mame925 said:

You get your taste buds used to certain foods. Also, your taste buds, like anything else can have their own preferences. Some people have more prominent salty buds so go for the celery, salted popcorn, chips, etc...Janelle, health conscious, eats the celery, not the chips...savory buds like spicier foods...sweet buds like sugary stuff...Each "buds preference" can be managed with healthier options...that's where I think it's about creating good habits.

I love celery, air popcorn, hard boiled eggs, or 2-3 almonds for snacks. All are low calorie, basically sugar free, most have fiber. And eggs, almonds have some protein. I also like spiced roasted nuts or beans (cannellini, kidneys, etc) for protein. 

I think we can find healthy snacks/good habits, read about food/calories/fat/cholesterol on the internet - not difficult.

I drink black coffee, all day long. I think it fills me up and helps my metabolism a little bit. Mostly though, caffeine is good for people who eschew drugs for a genetic condition I share with our boys and my brother.

ETA: and our Catholic favorite: smoked salmon jerky is yummy and a super healthy snack.

Edited by JanelleK

Hope it’s ok to reply to this since it’s three months old.

I do believe you can be a food addict. Addiction isn’t about liking a certain food or even about hunger. It’s about using food to deal with pain. To cover it up or try to. Like other addictions once this starts it’s hard to overcome because unlike other addictions ( alcohol, drugs) you can’t stop eating! 

Many food addicts as well as addicts in general are child abuse and/or child sexual abuse survivors. Some are domestic abuse survivors. All are eating to deal with hurt. 

1 person likes this

You're good @Mimicheryl, nice to see you back.

And I agree with you...I occasionally watch "My 600 Pound Life"...when they participants tell their stories I want to cry sometimes...And I see those who let it all hang out are those who have the greatest success...One woman confronted her mother, after finding that phone calls with her mom usually resulted in an urge to binge, mom always made her feel she was never good enough, pretty enough, slim enough, etc. Her progress accelerated after that. 

I can mindlessly snack...and it's a work in progress to stop doing that. I try to keep the snacks out of the house. Hard, hard., hard.

I don't smoke, drink or do drugs...but I eat mostly out of boredom.  If I am physically ill, I think eating something might help.  

Food is always in our home and available.  Although I have lost 20 lbs in the last 10 weeks, I'm always thinking about food and when do I get to eat next.

1 person likes this

I jump around, once it was Oat Meal everyday for lunch, then it was Cheerios with nice cold milk. Then swiss cheese on crackers. Some times its Fritos maybe chips now and then. Right now I binge on my Keurig coffee  2 maybe  3 at the most a day, but I put redi-whip on top. In the evening I have a tootsie pop as my 11 PM snack watching TV and  I may have a warm milk for my  COPD cough and go to bed. 

I'm not sure why I jump around so much,  maybe boredom, most likely stress.  I can be a sweet tooth junky.  I weigh 120 pds, when I see the wright going up I'll watch more.  

I love sugary food like cinnamon rolls and donuts. I'm assuming I'm a lot younger than most people on the forum, but what I've found is that if I eat something sweet during my meal, I'm less likely to later binge eat a whole pack of Oreos or 4 cinnamon rolls.

Though this post is over 3 months old, no doubt, it can be an ongoing problem for some people. So I'm going to pin it, so that it can remain open.