• Announcements

    • LatoyaADMIN

      What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

      You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

      Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

      We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Do you feel your grandkids' parents take advantage of you?

12 posts in this topic

Maybe they always pick the GC (grandchildren) up from your house an hour or so late. Or perhaps they expect you to provide all diapers, wipes, baby food, etc. when watching their baby. Or overnight stays turn into 2 or 3 nights b/c they "have to" leave the kids w/ you for this/that reason. Or they frequently call last minute saying they "desperately" need you to babysit.

Or maybe you're a custodial GP and your problem is that the parents don't show up on time for visits or don't come at all, leaving you to deal w/ GC's disappointment.

Or... In short, perhaps you feel your GC's parents are taking advantage of you? If so, how - and what have you tried to do about it, if anything? Also, if you've found a successful solution for these kinds of problems or have an idea for one, please let us know.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note from RoseRed: This post has been moved here from an older thread in this same forum...

combo1982

  • Newbie
  •  
  • combo1982
  • New Members
  • 0
  • 1 post

I tried to start a new topic, but it wouldn't let me, so I'm going to piggyback on this one. New grandson is 3 weeks old and he's their first. DD and SIL live an hour away. I have been informed that they want anyone who babysits to come to their house "because that's where all the baby's stuff is." I don't mind to drive to their home to babysit occasionally, in fact, I was just at their house for 9 hours over the weekend babysitting. But I don't see a problem with them bringing him to my house if they're wanting me to babysit for them. I'm not sure what "stuff" it is that they can't bring it to my house. Some diapers, wipes, clothes, bottles, and his little portable bassinet. Am I missing something here? I have been asked to babysit for 2 days next month, so I think they are expecting me to drive an hour in the morning, then an hour back home, then an hour the next morning and an hour back home. I love the little guy and want to be as hands-on as possible with him, but I'm already feeling taken advantage of and it's not even been a month. I realize it's their baby and their rules, but has anyone else had this situation come up?

Edited by RoseRed135
to add "Note" on top

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note from RoseRed: ImpishMom's reply to combo1982 had been copied & pasted here from that same older thread mentioned above...

ImpishMom

  • Advanced Member
  •  
  • ImpishMom
  • Members
  • 12861
  • 7530 posts
3 hours ago, combo1982 said:

I tried to start a new topic, but it wouldn't let me, so I'm going to piggyback on this one. New grandson is 3 weeks old and he's their first. DD and SIL live an hour away. I have been informed that they want anyone who babysits to come to their house "because that's where all the baby's stuff is." I don't mind to drive to their home to babysit occasionally, in fact, I was just at their house for 9 hours over the weekend babysitting. But I don't see a problem with them bringing him to my house if they're wanting me to babysit for them. I'm not sure what "stuff" it is that they can't bring it to my house. Some diapers, wipes, clothes, bottles, and his little portable bassinet. Am I missing something here? I have been asked to babysit for 2 days next month, so I think they are expecting me to drive an hour in the morning, then an hour back home, then an hour the next morning and an hour back home. I love the little guy and want to be as hands-on as possible with him, but I'm already feeling taken advantage of and it's not even been a month. I realize it's their baby and their rules, but has anyone else had this situation come up?

Generally speaking, it's almost always easier for someone to come to the baby, vs pack up baby and take them somewhere. Even an hour's drive can end up much longer, if you need to pull over for baby. Plus, if they're getting ready for work, they've got the usual morning routine, plus packing up baby, plus the drive there and back, all before work. It's a lot. That's two hours in one go, each way, vs your 1 hr, babysitting, 1 hour.

That being said, if it doesn't work for you, decline. You're allowed to say no, it doesn't work for you.

Perhaps asking if you could spend the night over might be an option?

Edited by RoseRed135

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@combo1982 - Hi again! IMO (in my opinion), Imp has given you some good advice.

As the "nanny granny" to my 2 DGD for several years, I generally find it easier to watch them at their house. And, of course, it has often been easier for  my DD/their mom that way, especially during the baby years, for the reasons Imp gave. However, I only live about 15 minutes away from them by car, so perhaps not a comparable situation.

If ever DD is going to be out late or needs me there early in the morning, I sleep over, as Imp suggests. But I realize that might not work for you or for DD and SIL. If you're interested, it's worth asking about though, IMO.

Another thought - would it be possible for you to duplicate some of baby's "stuff" at your house? Maybe, at least, diapers & wipes? Would DD and SIL be ok w/ that (some parents aren't)? Would you? Would it make it easier for them? That's something you might mention, also. But, of course, please be prepared to accept it graciously if they decline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RoseRed135 said:

@combo1982 - Hi again! IMO (in my opinion), Imp has given you some good advice.

As the "nanny granny" to my 2 DGD for several years, I generally find it easier to watch them at their house. And, of course, it has often been easier for  my DD/their mom that way, especially during the baby years, for the reasons Imp gave. However, I only live about 15 minutes away from them by car, so perhaps not a comparable situation.

If ever DD is going to be out late or needs me there early in the morning, I sleep over, as Imp suggests. But I realize that might not work for you or for DD and SIL. If you're interested, it's worth asking about though, IMO.

Another thought - would it be possible for you to duplicate some of baby's "stuff" at your house? Maybe, at least, diapers & wipes? Would DD and SIL be ok w/ that (some parents aren't)? Would you? Would it make it easier for them? That's something you might mention, also. But, of course, please be prepared to accept it graciously if they decline.

The problem I see is the travel time, if they're going to work. It would mean driving an hour, drop off, then commute another hour to work (at least), then another 2+ hrs at the end of the day. Not many folks could handle that, esp two days in a row. Whereas for @combo1982, it's an hour each way. That's why I suspect it simply wouldn't work, even if combo had baby gear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RoseRed135 said:

@combo1982 - Hi again! IMO (in my opinion), Imp has given you some good advice.

As the "nanny granny" to my 2 DGD for several years, I generally find it easier to watch them at their house. And, of course, it has often been easier for  my DD/their mom that way, especially during the baby years, for the reasons Imp gave. However, I only live about 15 minutes away from them by car, so perhaps not a comparable situation.

If ever DD is going to be out late or needs me there early in the morning, I sleep over, as Imp suggests. But I realize that might not work for you or for DD and SIL. If you're interested, it's worth asking about though, IMO.

Another thought - would it be possible for you to duplicate some of baby's "stuff" at your house? Maybe, at least, diapers & wipes? Would DD and SIL be ok w/ that (some parents aren't)? Would you? Would it make it easier for them? That's something you might mention, also. But, of course, please be prepared to accept it graciously if they decline.

I, on the other hand, will only babysit in our home. I want to be doing my work/chores/cooking where I have my routine. My husband will go to YDDs to babysit, but she's the only one of five who has ever asked for babysitting away from our home. We have all the stuff we need - crib, high chair, clothes, diapers, toys. It's far easier for us.

Too late or too early for our kids? Way too late or too early for us, plus we sleep in our bed, together. Babysitting is a huge favor to our kids - the least they can do, in our opinions is make it as easy as possible. I don't like to babysit between 9 months and 2.5-3 years, so I won't, but my husband will if he is asked.

Neither of us like our grands to stay overnight before 3-4 years old. IF I remember correctly, nobody under 3ish has overnighted (other than the one who was born living here).  Preferences! 

ETA: The persons doing the favors can have boundaries too.

Me too.

Edited by JanelleK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, JanelleK said:

I, on the other hand, will only babysit in our home. I want to be doing my work/chores/cooking where I have my routine. My husband will go to YDDs to babysit, but she's the only one of five who has ever asked for babysitting away from our home. We have all the stuff we need - crib, high chair, clothes, diapers, toys. It's far easier for us.

Too late or too early for our kids? Way too late or too early for us, plus we sleep in our bed, together. Babysitting is a huge favor to our kids - the least they can do, in our opinions is make it as easy as possible. I don't like to babysit between 9 months and 2.5-3 years, so I won't, but my husband will if he is asked.

Neither of us like our grands to stay overnight before 3-4 years old. IF I remember correctly, nobody under 3ish has overnighted (other than the one who was born living here).  Preferences!

ETA: The persons doing the favors can have boundaries too.

To the bolded: absolutely!

I'm just seeing why the parents would request that combo makes the drive, b/c it would be literally half the travel time (if not less, depending on where work is for them).

I think I'd curl up and die somewhere if I had to add 4 hrs of travel time on to a full day of work, 2 days in a row, b/c it would likely result in little to no sleep for those days. They have a 3 wk old, chances are, sleep is in short supply as is, without adding in that sort of travel.

But, again, if it doesn't work for combo, then she ought to decline. 

Myself, I'd call out sick, or pay a local sitter before driving 4+ hrs a day.

ETA: given that driving while sleep deprived has a similar impact as driving drunk, I wouldn't risk it.

Edited by ImpishMom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I understanding that you have been asked to babysit two days in a row?  Is it not possible to spend the night even if you need a room?  Are they not willing for you to stay over for a single night?

You are allowed to have boundaries also.  If this just won't work for you, you are allowed to say sorry, that just won't work.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2017 at 6:26 PM, RoseRed135 said:

Note from RoseRed: This post has been moved here from an older thread in this same forum...

combo1982

  • Newbie
  •  
  • combo1982
  • New Members
  • 0
  • 1 post

I tried to start a new topic, but it wouldn't let me, so I'm going to piggyback on this one. New grandson is 3 weeks old and he's their first. DD and SIL live an hour away. I have been informed that they want anyone who babysits to come to their house "because that's where all the baby's stuff is." I don't mind to drive to their home to babysit occasionally, in fact, I was just at their house for 9 hours over the weekend babysitting. But I don't see a problem with them bringing him to my house if they're wanting me to babysit for them. I'm not sure what "stuff" it is that they can't bring it to my house. Some diapers, wipes, clothes, bottles, and his little portable bassinet. Am I missing something here? I have been asked to babysit for 2 days next month, so I think they are expecting me to drive an hour in the morning, then an hour back home, then an hour the next morning and an hour back home. I love the little guy and want to be as hands-on as possible with him, but I'm already feeling taken advantage of and it's not even been a month. I realize it's their baby and their rules, but has anyone else had this situation come up?

I haven't had this situation come up because my DD knows that I don't want to babysit and that when I do it it is a favor to her.

Anonymous poster hash: d2b5b...b02

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The babysitting issue is so difficult. I wish society would recognize that babysitting is work. A babysitter should get paid, have the ability to say sorry I'm not available without repercussions. Or to say I can only babysit under X conditions, such as at a specific location. I like to keep childcare at a professional level. I am hiring a person to do a service with very specific requirements. The person can then say that they will only take the job with their specific set of requirements. This is why I never have family babysit. Suddenly a business deal turns into a relationship minefield.

I also hate it when family ask if they can babysit my children. This doesn't make sense to me. In that situation they are usually asking for a playdate under the guise of them doing me a favor. 

Unfortunately Anonymous has entered the family babysitting minefield. I think your best bet is to start as you mean to continue. Let them know that you are not able to babysit at their house due to the distance or whatever you are able and happy to do. Tell them honestly and happily that you are happy to help them out if they are able to bring baby to your house or whatever you are willing to do. But then remember that they will likely find a babysitter that works for their needs, and there is nothing wrong with that. They will likely not have you babysit. They are not being spiteful or playing baby keep away if they find a childcare provider that will babysit the way they prefer. You are not spiteful or mean to decide your limits on doing a favor for your daughter. But the natural consequence is that you will not likely be as hands on with your grandchild-this is not a threat or a punishment it is jus a natural consequence to living an hour a way,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, darkprincess said:

The babysitting issue is so difficult. I wish society would recognize that babysitting is work. A babysitter should get paid, have the ability to say sorry I'm not available without repercussions. Or to say I can only babysit under X conditions, such as at a specific location. I like to keep childcare at a professional level. I am hiring a person to do a service with very specific requirements. The person can then say that they will only take the job with their specific set of requirements. This is why I never have family babysit. Suddenly a business deal turns into a relationship minefield.

I also hate it when family ask if they can babysit my children. This doesn't make sense to me. In that situation they are usually asking for a playdate under the guise of them doing me a favor. 

Unfortunately Anonymous has entered the family babysitting minefield. I think your best bet is to start as you mean to continue. Let them know that you are not able to babysit at their house due to the distance or whatever you are able and happy to do. Tell them honestly and happily that you are happy to help them out if they are able to bring baby to your house or whatever you are willing to do. But then remember that they will likely find a babysitter that works for their needs, and there is nothing wrong with that. They will likely not have you babysit. They are not being spiteful or playing baby keep away if they find a childcare provider that will babysit the way they prefer. You are not spiteful or mean to decide your limits on doing a favor for your daughter. But the natural consequence is that you will not likely be as hands on with your grandchild-this is not a threat or a punishment it is jus a natural consequence to living an hour a way,

Yes, simply come out and ask if you (general) can take the kids here or there to do this or that-

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2017 at 6:26 PM, RoseRed135 said:

Note from RoseRed: This post has been moved here from an older thread in this same forum...

combo1982

  • Newbie
  •  
  • combo1982
  • New Members
  • 0
  • 1 post

I tried to start a new topic, but it wouldn't let me, so I'm going to piggyback on this one. New grandson is 3 weeks old and he's their first. DD and SIL live an hour away. I have been informed that they want anyone who babysits to come to their house "because that's where all the baby's stuff is." I don't mind to drive to their home to babysit occasionally, in fact, I was just at their house for 9 hours over the weekend babysitting. But I don't see a problem with them bringing him to my house if they're wanting me to babysit for them. I'm not sure what "stuff" it is that they can't bring it to my house. Some diapers, wipes, clothes, bottles, and his little portable bassinet. Am I missing something here? I have been asked to babysit for 2 days next month, so I think they are expecting me to drive an hour in the morning, then an hour back home, then an hour the next morning and an hour back home. I love the little guy and want to be as hands-on as possible with him, but I'm already feeling taken advantage of and it's not even been a month. I realize it's their baby and their rules, but has anyone else had this situation come up?

@combo1982 - Have you gotten clarification from the parents on this or discussed it any further?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now