• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

What does your Thanksgiving look like? (Question of the Month, November 2017)

21 posts in this topic

Ok, it's November. And, for most of us here, that means Thanksgiving is down the road. How is your TG  looking, so far, this year? And would you like it to be different in any way or are you satisfied w/ how it is?

It looks long gone and over with, LOL

2 people like this

I have two invitations...one to Sister & one to DS/DIL...not sure which way this will go, may not know until closer to the last minute. If I go to sister I'll probably spend the night, if DS, I'll get to see a bunch of GK. I'll make pecan pie if I go to sister's or lemon meringue if I go to DS...

However, I will be showing "Miracle on 34th Street" (1947 with scene stealing Natalie Wood & the dazzling Maureen O'Hara) in the evening...

Looks like skiing (great exercise after the meal). Our weather is great thus far this fall.

Also looks like we'll be making pans of dressing, rice, beans, fruit salad, salmon and pasta. My brother will buy 2 Honey Bakes and drinks. My eldest sister/BIL will smoke 2 turkey, make yams, sides. My second sister will roast 2 turkey, do tables. My brothers PILs will do desserts, breads/rolls.

It looks like football, lots of football and chatter about favorite teams/players. Looks like Turkey Soup and Ham bean soup.

eta:  It's not as lopsided as it sounds. SisILs mom is making all 3 cranberry sides. And the salmon was caught/cleaned/flash frozen in Alaska, dry ice shipped from my brother and his FILs fishing trip. Naturally my Italian husband is the very best fish cook, we have salmon on our to-do list.

We did our Thanksgiving alone with our little family (AC, ACIL, GC) for years, after our parents passed. Once my brother had a child he wanted big family Holidays for his kids like our kids all had. Maybe because all he has is a wife, 2 kids, and his PILs (basically no little family).

At any rate he is the one who revived FOO Holidays, so he always brings the Honey Bakes, all the drinks and any other extravagances. Seems fair enough, they both work and we're all on retirement incomes.  ;)

Edited by JanelleK

As usual no plans as of yet other than keeping it simple-

Dinner with my daughter with a visit planned for my son's.

Family dinner at a relative's home - we will be on our best behavior and not talk about politics.  
We'll each contribute to the meal - I've been asked to bring family favorites made by our Grandmother and Mother.

Edited by thursdayschild

Enjoying these replies, ladies! :)

@thursdayschild - Welcome! Delighted that you came in to talk w/ us!

IMO, having everyone contribute to the meal can be fun and more relaxed (less stress on the hosts, everybody's sure to have some dishes they really enjoy, etc.). I think it's lovely that "family favorites" have been passed down to you and that you're going to make them for T'giving!

Obviously, politics is a bone of contention for your family, as it is for many families, to my knowledge. Wise of you, IMO, to avoid the subject.

Looking forward to hearing from you some more! ;)

Edited by RoseRed135

DH and I will take a leisurely road trip (being retired has its own kind of benefits :)) across many hundred miles to give thanks with my older sister and extended family. We haven’t seen her in over a year and she has been having a few (minor but frustrating) health problems. We’ll bring some bubbly and favorite FOO foods that pack easily to celebrate being together and my niece’s recent start at the “job of her dreams.” Bonus: DIL volunteered on a speakerphone call with her and DS that they would be sure to skype with DGS from her parents’ home at a time that worked given the time zone difference so all could be part of DGS’s first Thanksgiving. Can’t wait to see him in his turkey-day onesie and share the joy. Not all holidays have been easy, so this Th’giving we don’t take for granted that we are feeling indeed fortunate.

1 person likes this

On 11/6/2017 at 11:11 AM, Julia33 said:

DH and I will take a leisurely road trip (being retired has its own kind of benefits :)) across many hundred miles to give thanks with my older sister and extended family. We haven’t seen her in over a year and she has been having a few (minor but frustrating) health problems. We’ll bring some bubbly and favorite FOO foods that pack easily to celebrate being together and my niece’s recent start at the “job of her dreams.” Bonus: DIL volunteered on a speakerphone call with her and DS that they would be sure to skype with DGS from her parents’ home at a time that worked given the time zone difference so all could be part of DGS’s first Thanksgiving. Can’t wait to see him in his turkey-day onesie and share the joy. Not all holidays have been easy, so this Th’giving we don’t take for granted that we are feeling indeed fortunate.

Sounds delightful, Julia! :)

Sorry about your sister's health problems. But kudos to your niece on her new job!

And how lovely of DIL to make sure you get to share DGS' first T'giving!

Edited by RoseRed135

If the coming holiday were to begin today, it looks like pie .. pumpkin pie, like big wind gusts, like down pours, like gray, like cozy .. a fire, a movie .. simple, no stress .. gratitude ..

1 person likes this

I've decided on Sister's....She's on board with pecan pie & my movie after dinner....DS doesn't have his kids until the evening, but has them all weekend, so we'll make a date that works...#2 GS owes me some sweat equity and I have a "honey-do" list for DS, so we may incorporate that into our visit...

Also, I have tickets to a concert Saturday night....I think Sister is going with me...a friend is the bandmaster, so when he told me about this show back in June, I told him I'd be there....so I'll be there, may not be able to see him, but going just the same. 

Cooking as usual,turkey from the farm, potatoes, squash, corn and  onions from our garden. Going to try a few new veggie recipes for DD. DH's sister invited herself with her DH I wanted to say no but I'm getting soft. Her AC  don't want her around. I know, I'm too nice. I even invited DGD's father. He has been acting like a human being and I just want DGD to be happy and have good memories of Thanksgiving. I love to cook and don't mind hosting as long as everybody behaves.

Very quiet and will be have dinner at a friends house. Like us they have no close relatives left or nearby and so we shall enjoy good food, a glass of sherry and share what we are thankful for.

2 people like this

Enjoying all these replies, ladies!

DH and I will be headed over to ODD's & SIL's as we/ve been doing almost every year for a long time now. YDD and my granddolls are coming, too. Looking forward to it!

Hope all of you have a wonderful T-Day and a long (if possible), leisurely weekend! :)

Edited by RoseRed135

I'm up...let the cooking begin.  We do lunch.

We eat Thanksgiving lunch as well. But before lunch we have to have breakfast. Soon as I'm done with my coffee - bacon and pancakes are begging to be cooked/served to the masses. eta: Gotta get on with skiing!

I have 5 pans of dressing out, getting to room temp to bake, same with the trays of yams. Black beans/rice done, red sauce thawing, salmon boned/ready to grill. My brother/honey bakes are here. Haven't seen my sisters/turkeys and cranberries yet. 

Edited by JanelleK

ODD and SIL don't have us over till around 5 PM. So we have time to lounge around, eat a leisurely breakfast and lunch (not too much - want to leave room for SIL's good cookin'), watch parades on TV - and yes, spend a little time on the computer. :)

Have a great day, everybody!:db:

Sue, I'm so glad things are better between DH and DD and that your whole family will be together for TG. :give_rose:

Quietly sipping coffee while my pecan pie bakes....the leftover crust is made into cinnamon sticks baking along side...the house smells wonderful...very 'holiday-ish'

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

1 person likes this

quiet morning, planted crocus and and anemone in remembrance of indigenous people/s, texted my brother battling cancer with a childhood memory from Thanksgivings past, prepared food, washed dishes, [repeat] while listening to music, laughter and conversations in the other room, shared a very simple dinner together enjoying each others company, sister sent pics of the gang back east, it was my first Thanksgiving not eating meat and it was awesome, drove my son back home the long way to look at the Christmas lights, came home to my other son watching the sky, it's as clear as could be, we gazed at a cluster of stars that looked like a distant galaxy, I'm waiting for my husband to give up the remote so that I can watch On Golden Pond .. :) .. hope all had a good day ..

1 person likes this

Thanks for the good wishes, ladies!

We had an especially good TG. Delicious food and good company, as always, but also, we ended up staying later than usual, watching a movie together. Very cozy, low-key and fun!