• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

The opioid crisis - Is it why you - or other grandparents you know of - are raising their grandchildren?... possible triggers...

3 posts in this topic

Are you raising your GC - or trying to get them out of foster care so you can - b/c of the opioid crisis/their parents are hooked on opioids (heroin, certain prescription drugs, etc.)? Or do you know anyone in this position? GP.com is featuring the following article about this issue on its FB page:

http://www.nextavenue.org/grandparents-kids-opioid-crisis/?utm_source=Grandparents

Thoughts?

Edited by RoseRed135

It's a good article for opening up the discussion about this crisis in our homes, communities, and national fabric. There is so much to it, however - the change in roles, the impact on other family relationships, impacts on worklife, friendships, health, and I could go on and on. Even without physical abuse and trauma in a child's life, the less obvious damage is devastating to come to grips with - distrust, premature independence, a negative outlook on the future, not to mention an anathema to anything resembling a vegetable, homework, and regular schedules. And what in all that is holy is Common Core? I'm finding a sense of humor is essential and a firm philosophy of picking your battles and choosing your timing is helping us get through these first few months since I got custody of my 9 yr old grandson. Thanks for sharing.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Marilee1011 said:

It's a good article for opening up the discussion about this crisis in our homes, communities, and national fabric. There is so much to it, however - the change in roles, the impact on other family relationships, impacts on worklife, friendships, health, and I could go on and on. Even without physical abuse and trauma in a child's life, the less obvious damage is devastating to come to grips with - distrust, premature independence, a negative outlook on the future, not to mention an anathema to anything resembling a vegetable, homework, and regular schedules. And what in all that is holy is Common Core? I'm finding a sense of humor is essential and a firm philosophy of picking your battles and choosing your timing is helping us get through these first few months since I got custody of my 9 yr old grandson. Thanks for sharing.

Hi again, Marilee!

Whew! Sounds like you have a lot to deal w/ as concerns GS. Bless you for stepping up the way you have! The boy has, obviously, been through a lot, and I'm so sorry about that. But TG he has you in his life!

Meanwhile, thank you for sharing w/ us what you've learned about/experienced regarding this situation. I'm sure there are other GPs here who can relate. Glad you found your way over here!