• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
Mame925

Whole Grain Waffles

8 posts in this topic

I am a waffle lover! Sadly, they are a study in poor nutrition in their conventional form...I found this recipe on the back of the box ages ago...Made a couple of minor changes and Voila! Waffles with 10g of fiber and 200 cal per serving (depending on what you top them with

High Fiber Waffles

1 cup Fiber One™ original bran cereal (I use the store brand)

1 1/4 cups buttermilk 

1 egg, slightly beaten

2 tablespoons vegetable oil 

1 teaspoon vanilla

3/4 cup whole wheat or all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon sugar 

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

Serve with nut butters, jam, butter & syrup or fruit sauces & nuts

xpert Tips

·         Heat waffle maker. Place cereal in resealable food-storage plastic bag; seal bag and crush with rolling pin or meat mallet (or crush in food processor).

·         In large bowl, mix cereal and buttermilk; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in egg, oil and vanilla. Stir in remaining ingredients just until smooth. (Batter will be thick.)

·         For each waffle, brush hot waffle maker with vegetable oil or spray with nonstick stuff. Spread batter onto center of hot waffle maker. (Waffle makers vary in size; check manufacturer's directions for recommended amount of batter.) Close lid of waffle maker.

·         Bake about 5 minutes or until steaming stops and waffle is golden brown. Carefully remove waffle. Serve immediately. Repeat with remaining batter.  Top as desired.

I    I usually triple everything so I have these in the freezer to pop into the toaster on work days. ½ a waffle is a whole serving. These are very filling. To freeze, wrap in waxed paper or freezer paper in a ziplock freezer bag...Don't know how long they keep in the freezer...don't last that long.

2 people like this

Sounds great! Just one question, have you ever added freeze dried blueberries to the batter?

4 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

Sounds great! Just one question, have you ever added freeze dried blueberries to the batter?

Follow your taste buds

I'll give it a try- :) Thanks for the recipe!

Definitely going to try this. And I'll share it w/ YDD. She has been looking for something like this to give her kids a fun breakfast w/o going off the poor nutrition deep end. Thanks Mame! :)

And for the uber health nuts or those with dairy issues:

So, you may want to experiment, try using 2 egg whites instead of an egg to cut cholesterol (beat to soft peaks, add to batter last for making a lighter texture), replace the cereal with Bob's wheat germ BRAN or wheat germ/wheat bran mix (to get rid of processed cereal), replace buttermilk with skim milk and 1-2T vinegar (room temp) or use nut milk or soy milk. King Arthur flours have great texture. 

1 person likes this

We use pancake and waffle recipes interchangeably.

Beings pancakes are quicker to cook in quantity, if time matters, pancakes could be made instead. Freeze and re-heat well.

After TG, enough leftover turkey to feed a village, we usually make creamed turkey on waffles at least once. Healthy, easy, frugal.

1 person likes this

On 11/7/2017 at 8:22 AM, JanelleK said:

After TG, enough leftover turkey to feed a village, we usually make creamed turkey on waffles at least once. Healthy, easy, frugal

The amend the flour choice in the waffle recipe to 1/2 corn flour and 1/2 whole wheat flour for a more savory products...corn meal instead of the corn flour will give a more unique texture.