• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LaToyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

The Opioid Crises - How do you believe it should be handled?

57 posts in this topic

This is a hard one for me.  I am raising a grandchild due to the opioid addiction of both my son and DIL.  My son's journey into hell started I believe with an inherited addictive personality (addiction issues on both sides - alcohol mostly).  Follow that with surgery for wisdom teeth and pain prescriptions.  A marriage into a family of addicts didn't help as his MIL would supply drugs to them.  I could go on and on.  He is now 6 months clean and in a rehab program with the Salvation Army.  He has been estranged from his wife for a couple of years.  She is still actively using.  DS once told me that the drugs "make all the pain disappear."  I believe he was referring to emotional pain.  I spent some time trying to understand all this in Nar-Anon.  You learn there you cannot make someone want to get better, they have to do it for themselves.  Banning anything in particular won't work.  Heroin is already banned and people still have a ready supply.  You need to make more programs such as the one the Salvation Army runs and others available to people, who immediately when they are ready can access help. It doesn't help to have them on a waiting list for months to get the help they need and in fact many OD as they are waiting.  I live with the heaviness that he could relapse at any time.  I try to live with faith that he will continue to recover and reclaim his life.  This makes me so sad.

Baba, I feel for your son and his child and for you watching the effects of addiction...but there are people on prescriptions out there who are not medicating enough for the physical pain to go away, they do not have a temporary pain of a tooth extraction (shame on doctors using opiods for this) but are only wishing for a couple of hours of uninterrupted sleep each night.  They are not drugging "all the pain", just trying to make it bearable. If they did drug the constant "pain" from inoperable issues, they wouldn't be able to function in a day to day manner.  People like my sister are just wishing for a semi-normal existence not oblivion. 

I am really sorry you are going through this Baba and God bless you for taking care of your grandchild.   You are an everyday hero for doing this!

Another way to deal with this crisis is introducing non-addictive opioids to the market - which basically are pain meds that don’t trigger the dopamine response, aka the high effect that current opioids do.   Think a super powered Advil that just goes to work on the pain.

My understanding is that these types of drugs are being tested and researched but are not ready for the market yet.

Maybe you've misunderstood me.   When I stated that "banning anything in particular" won't work I meant that banning drugs doesn't help.  It certainly doesn't help the people that really need them and it doesn't even help the addict who can easily find them anywhere at any time.  Personally I think if drugs weren't illegal more addicts would get help - but that's another thread.  And as for drugging "all the pain" - that is what addicts mostly do.  They don't want to feel anything (per my DS).  Not referring to people who have physical pain that is not being successfully treated.

@BabaKnits - Glad to hear that DS is in recovery and I'm hoping, along w/ you, that he continues on this path. Of course, you're worried about him - and yet, I imagine, feel the need to be strong for your GC. My heart is w/ you.You and yours will be in my prayers, as ever...

Meanwhile, I hear you about the need for more programs and making them more available. That makes a lot of sense, IMO.

I would like to see big government & local goverment actually listen to addiction professionals & interventionists instead of sitting around a big table throwing out stupid ideas. Big pharma should absolutely be forced to fund this, since they are the ones who profited GREATLY from this epidemic that they created. Oxycontin was pushed by big pharmacies as a non-addictive narcotic. The epidemic started with Oxycontin where I live anyway.Medical Marijuana should be legalized. Restricting narcotic pain medication prescriptions will hurt the people who need it more than help the ones who don't IMO. Vivotrol & forced 12 month minimun treatment at a sober living facility for frequently incarcerated jail flyers would be a start but we need more of these facilities. We are losing a significant percentage of mainly our young people to this epidemic. Not all are dying but are not productive members of society either. Too many children are being raised by someone other than their parents. I see many, many senior citizens in my area picking up the work slack. Anyone who thinks this problem doesn't concern them should think again because everything rolls downhill. Sorry to sound so preachy. It's personal. 

I broke my wrist and had 1 plate and 6 screws put in. The 1st meds did nothing I called hysterical and they gave me stronger. They asked what I used for my Back Surgery.  I said I don't know your the Dr. pull my records.

When that ran out and I called they said take aspirin but not TOO much in a day. I said to my husband. "Do any of these Doctors ever have something foreign put in their bodies?    SO my Grand Daughter reads on my chart I'm an opioid risk.  

When I went in they asked if I had pain I said yes you told me to take aspirin so I was afraid I'd need meds for my therapy, so  I saved A LOT.  So when I'm leaving she says, "Now you call if you need anything"    W H A T.  

Alright my Ins. was changing so I called for at least 1/2 bottle for therapy,  she says "Oh we can't renew it again." Now I am so confused and mad, call  get meds, don't get meds. 

I go next week and I intend to tell her I called because she told me to, PlLUS I had a back fusion and was on LOT OF MEDS, and made it thru it fine.  I also called that Dr. and asked about addiction because     " I WAS WORRIED." 

I am so mad at this Dr. not about not getting meds, BUT call no meds, took aspirin, why didn't you call crap.  I may even tell him take the opioid OFF my chart. I also had 2 rotor cuff surgeries and 1 elbow. I understand there is a problem but I'm not a 16 yr old crying for meds I'm 72 with a plate and 6 screws my wrist

Edited by godsgifts