• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
skipped

considering others in wedding invites

56 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, Mame925 said:

I'm only going as far as Minnesota in that direction....

Unfortunately, we don't go to the US at all.

Check out flea markets and second hand shops, yard sales. I know everything is "local" but in my area there is so much fancy china and stuff that folk's AC don't want, that the prices are way down. I decided to use my mom's and grandmom's china and crystal for holiday dinners, birthdays and such even though it is more work to get it all out. It seems such a shame to have it and not use it because it might break. I have noticed that even with my GDs being only 4 and 6, that they behave when we make a fuss over a beautiful table and for me a chance to tell them about great grand parents and great aunts who are no longer with us. Also a chance to practice "being grown ups" and sitting at the "big table".

2 people like this

1 hour ago, missmm said:

Check out flea markets and second hand shops, yard sales. I know everything is "local" but in my area there is so much fancy china and stuff that folk's AC don't want, that the prices are way down. I decided to use my mom's and grandmom's china and crystal for holiday dinners, birthdays and such even though it is more work to get it all out. It seems such a shame to have it and not use it because it might break. I have noticed that even with my GDs being only 4 and 6, that they behave when we make a fuss over a beautiful table and for me a chance to tell them about great grand parents and great aunts who are no longer with us. Also a chance to practice "being grown ups" and sitting at the "big table".

I'm not quite in a place where I wouldn't cry if something were to be broken, which is why I'll wait a bit until actively seeking to buy china. I recently saw a set for sale, 2nd hand that I thought was lovely, but it was missing a number of pieces. When I checked, replacing those pieces would be a freaking bomb and a half, so I noped out.

I'm not of the, "I need fifty kazillion everything!" mindset, but if I'm going to buy any, I want there to be enough for everyone to match, and w/7 of us at home, there wasn't enough in this set.

1 person likes this

Some of my stuff is service for four...and one set is for 24...it was a steal at an estate sale. I came to the conclusion long ago that if something breaks, it breaks...the kids were all very good with the "fancy" stuff...our daily dishes were Corelle "Iris" pattern...that stuff is indestructible but pretty. DH didn't care what the food was served on, but indulged my love for a pretty table. He had a love for serving platters...go figure

My (farm woman) PGM bought a set of "Peach Lustre" in the early 50s ....that looks just like it sounds, iridescent peach color dishes...I don't know what happened to hers when she died, but my sister bought me a couple of cups & saucers for tea because it made her think of our Granny...and got that warm fuzzy feeling...I've expanded it to a luncheon set and some serving bowls...it was made by FireKing, so mass produced & budget friendly at the time.

8 minutes ago, Mame925 said:

Some of my stuff is service for four...and one set is for 24...it was a steal at an estate sale. I came to the conclusion long ago that if something breaks, it breaks...the kids were all very good with the "fancy" stuff...our daily dishes were Corelle "Iris" pattern...that stuff is indestructible but pretty. DH didn't care what the food was served on, but indulged my love for a pretty table. He had a love for serving platters...go figure

My (farm woman) PGM bought a set of "Peach Lustre" in the early 50s ....that looks just like it sounds, iridescent peach color dishes...I don't know what happened to hers when she died, but my sister bought me a couple of cups & saucers for tea because it made her think of our Granny...and got that warm fuzzy feeling...I've expanded it to a luncheon set and some serving bowls...it was made by FireKing, so mass produced & budget friendly at the time.

I think part of it is, I've never had a matched set of anything. Seriously. We've always had hand me downs, or 2nd hand stuff cobbled together to get enough. So, the idea of finally having a matched set of something, and then things getting broken...I can see being upset about it, which is why I haven't spent the money on it yet. Why set myself up for failure, b/c right now, we can't even keep a set of glasses from going the way of the dodo. Wolf bought a set a cpl of months ago, and I think we have half of them left. Wolf himself has broken at least two of them, lol

We rented a place when we first moved that had slate? floors. Stone of one sort or another, anyways. It was horrific for dishes, everything smashed to smithereens, never a hope of survival, including a giant jar of pickles...

That's why we used Corelle with the kids day to day....if something broke it was easily and inexpensively replaced...holiday tables used the fancier stuff & once or twice a year lowered the odds of breakage.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Mame925 said:

That's why we used Corelle with the kids day to day....if something broke it was easily and inexpensively replaced...holiday tables used the fancier stuff & once or twice a year lowered the odds of breakage.

Yep, we've had Corelle. And just keep rebuying as needed, sometimes Corelle, sometimes just stuff from the 2nd hand store.

Maybe it's just me, but I find Corelle doesn't stand up the way it used to.

Like everything else, it probably doesn't...if I had slate floors I'd be tempted to use tin camping plates and plastic bowls.

20 minutes ago, Mame925 said:

Like everything else, it probably doesn't...if I had slate floors I'd be tempted to use tin camping plates and plastic bowls.

Thankfully, our house has lino in the kitchen. I would never, EVER do a stone floor of any nature. Blech.

When I registered a million years ago, the one thing I DIDN'T register for was china, simply because my family has an inheritance schedule lol. We call it the Generation Schedule. My mom got my great, great grandmother's china when she and daddy got married 50+ years ago. I got my great grandmother's china when DH and I got married 25+ years ago. (My mother is an only child and I'm the only daughter). My grandmother in her infinite wisdom and possibly minor hoarding tendencies, has TWO sets of good china, already earmarked for my two girls. I supposed after this we'll have to go with oldest daughter if more than one (if they even want it). My great grandmother's and my great great grandmother's were inherited already, so the set that I have and the set that mom has are each over 100 years old. My grandmother at one point had 5 sets of china (what is now my mom's, what is now mine, her own two and an additional one that came from my grandfather's mother!) I'm not even sure that is all that there is, my mom and I have talked about what happens when my grandmother, who is nearing 100, passes away. She still lives alone, walks every day, drives herself wherever she wants to go, you name it. She currently lives in a 3,000 square foot house (they added on a suite downstairs when my grandfather could no longer climb stairs). There are 6 huge closets, two full attics (one on the house and one on the garage), and she has built in storage in nearly every single room. EVERY SINGLE CLOSET is stuffed to the gills, the attics are full, and she just keeps adding storage. She is a very organized hoarder, but as is generationally appropriate for someone who lived through the depression, she never gets rid of anything. Rumor has it there is a real, honest to goodness rope bed in one of the attics. So who knows what else we will find when we actually do start going through everything. There may be enough china, serving platters, crystal and silver to set up housekeeping for 10 families knowing her!

I even have some depression glass pieces and one piece that looks like a Yellow Ware pottery bowl!

Edited by BlueEyedGirl
1 person likes this

2 hours ago, ImpishMom said:

Yep, we've had Corelle. And just keep rebuying as needed, sometimes Corelle, sometimes just stuff from the 2nd hand store.

Maybe it's just me, but I find Corelle doesn't stand up the way it used to.

I completely agree! My first set of every day was Corelle! By the time youngest was 5 - so we'd been married 10+ years, every single piece of that was gone. We bought another set, and within 2 years they were destroyed. We finally swapped over to the heavier stoneware and we've not had any problem. 

22 minutes ago, BlueEyedGirl said:

I completely agree! My first set of every day was Corelle! By the time youngest was 5 - so we'd been married 10+ years, every single piece of that was gone. We bought another set, and within 2 years they were destroyed. We finally swapped over to the heavier stoneware and we've not had any problem. 

Yeah, I've been looking at stoneware, I've heard it's pretty sturdy.

$70 (plus tax) for a 16 piece set is the best price I've found, though, and I need at least two sets. And I'm not sure if that's 'good' stoneware, or the cheaper version that won't stand up, esp since all the other sets are over $100.

21 minutes ago, ImpishMom said:

Yeah, I've been looking at stoneware, I've heard it's pretty sturdy.

$70 (plus tax) for a 16 piece set is the best price I've found, though, and I need at least two sets. And I'm not sure if that's 'good' stoneware, or the cheaper version that won't stand up, esp since all the other sets are over $100.

You may also want to up your medical coverage...if you drop one of those on your foot, it's not pretty lol!! Corell hurts but kind of bounces. That stoneware is killer!

I've had the same set of Corelle since 2001 and it's in great shape.  My DM has some from the 70's.

How did we get from a hard-to-navigate e-card to "killer" stoneware? ;)

Edited by RoseRed135

1 hour ago, RoseRed135 said:

Interesting deviation, however....

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, BlueEyedGirl said:

You may also want to up your medical coverage...if you drop one of those on your foot, it's not pretty lol!! Corell hurts but kind of bounces. That stoneware is killer!

I'm Canadian. I got it covered, LOL

2 hours ago, RoseRed135 said:

Cause dishes = traditional wedding gear.

Or something like that.

6 hours ago, nonna23 said:

I've had the same set of Corelle since 2001 and it's in great shape.  My DM has some from the 70's.

I actually have some mugs that came with our house (we opted to buy a number of things that the previous owner didn't want) that are probably older than I am. And there are still a few around (I think we went from 6 down to 2), over a year later.

My family is just terrible when it comes to breaking dishes, it seems. I swear, nobody flings them around on purpose...at least, not that I'm aware of.

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, ImpishMom said:

My family is just terrible when it comes to breaking dishes, it seems. I swear, nobody flings them around on purpose...at least, not that I'm aware of.

Are you old enough to remember "Melmac dinnerware"?

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, Mame925 said:

Are you old enough to remember "Melmac dinnerware"?

The only Melmac that comes to mind is isn't that the planet  ALF came from?

1 person likes this

I googled. Yep, ALF came from Melmac.

Edited by ImpishMom

Ack, it won't allow me to add a gif.17D0O4l

The last invite we received was a beautiful cloth scroll scented with spices and tucked into a pretty box- The wedding was overseas, we didnt attend but I greatly appreciated the invite- 

The only problem I see with save the dates being sent via email is odd chance of them arriving in the spam folder and/or somehow simply not being read -- especially if a persons preferences are set to receive notices from lots of online sites-

I adore melmac- Its some of the most durbble stuff ever made, its dual purpose and can be used every day and is lightweight so great for camping and picnics- Also, for those with OCD, when flatware hits the bowl or dish the sound if muffled, not clinky .. I love the stuff, love the colors .. also the logo .. very simple, functional, practical .. I love Fiesta too but find it breaks too easily for me ..

One wedding tradition I miss .. the newpaper announcements .. 

1 person likes this

Melmac (other than being the planet ALF came from) is now marketed as "melamine"...And it's currently on clearance at many places who do big summer ending sales. I was at my local ACE Hardware yesterday where stacks of plates & bowls were 50% off. The patterns are endless...and its perfect for an active family.

17 minutes ago, Mame925 said:

Melmac (other than being the planet ALF came from) is now marketed as "melamine"...And it's currently on clearance at many places who do big summer ending sales. I was at my local ACE Hardware yesterday where stacks of plates & bowls were 50% off. The patterns are endless...and its perfect for an active family.

I think we have some. Believe it or not, that stuff DOES break.

I'll take a look (we don't have ACE here) and see if I can find any on sale when I get paid next. I suspect it's already all gone, though. That stuff tends to get cleared out in Aug/Sept to make way for Thanksgiving, then Halloween, now Christmas.

12 minutes ago, ImpishMom said:

I think we have some. Believe it or not, that stuff DOES break.

Everything breaks under the right circumstances...but it does hold up better for kids, can easily go outside, etc.