• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
skipped

considering others in wedding invites

56 posts in this topic

I think china and crystal may become chic again as what is trendy now - fund my wedding/honeymoon gifts - may not be trendy later - and maybe we just cycle back to a trend in which china and crystal as a wedding gift are back in.  I have one set of china that I received in many gifts as a wedding gift.  Unfortunately, it was discontinued a few years after we got married, so I've had to replace some broken pieces through an online website that sells discontinued china and charges a premium for it. 

I do not like having a lot of stuff in my house, so I would decline any china that my mom offered to me as one set is enough.  Fortunately, I have a sister that is a collector of all things that are collectable, so she would love it.   

1 person likes this

DD has PGM wedding china...Grandma, a lovely woman, now nearly 86 started downsizing years ago....as DD is #1 GC, and a girl, she was given first refusal...snapped that stuff up so fast, lol...It's incomplete, as it spent many years in a house full of boys and a tomboy, but DD isn't concerned with replacing the missing pieces...she just enjoys this little bit of family history that includes her PGGM's hand written recipe book. She's the #1's #1's #1....they all spoiled her....

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Mame925 said:

Everything breaks under the right circumstances...but it does hold up better for kids, can easily go outside, etc.

Oh, totally. I love the stuff we have.

4 hours ago, BSW said:

I think china and crystal may become chic again as what is trendy now - fund my wedding/honeymoon gifts - may not be trendy later - and maybe we just cycle back to a trend in which china and crystal as a wedding gift are back in.  I have one set of china that I received in many gifts as a wedding gift.  Unfortunately, it was discontinued a few years after we got married, so I've had to replace some broken pieces through an online website that sells discontinued china and charges a premium for it. 

I do not like having a lot of stuff in my house, so I would decline any china that my mom offered to me as one set is enough.  Fortunately, I have a sister that is a collector of all things that are collectable, so she would love it.   

I'm hoping that the next generation, which would be my GDs, will want the china sets from my mother and grandmother and the good crystal from my great aunt. and other grandmother's silver. In my family I'm the one who keeps the old stuff. My younger two sisters either don't have the room or aren't interested. Meanwhile I have choices when I set a table!

2 people like this

3 hours ago, missmm said:

I'm hoping that the next generation, which would be my GDs, will want the china sets from my mother and grandmother and the good crystal from my great aunt. and other grandmother's silver. In my family I'm the one who keeps the old stuff. My younger two sisters either don't have the room or aren't interested. Meanwhile I have choices when I set a table!

If it was something from my family, I'd probably have kept it hoarded away until Minions are old enough to be trusted with it. I tend to be somewhat sentimental about that sort of thing, but at the same time, I've seen some really *ugly* china patterns. My mother collected one, and was totally furious when her threat of giving it to a DIL instead of me (only dd) was met with, "I hope they like it!" instead of begging for it.

3 hours ago, missmm said:

It will be interesting to see if my kids want GM’s china, etc.  If they do, I understand my MIL has quite a bit of stuff she has designated for them since they are her only GK’s and my sister - who is the keeper of collectibles on my side - wants to do the same since she is single with no kids.