• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
RoseRed135

Getting exercise

13 posts in this topic

The GP.com FB page is currently featuring an article on the value of stretching for those over 50:(ok, yeah, the link says "seniors" and I thought that stage began at 62, but whatever):

https://www.grandparents.com/health-and-wellbeing/exercise-and-de-stress/stretching-exercises-for-seniors

Now I'm wondering... do you do stretches of any kind? Or do you prefer to work out at the gym? Or go jogging? Or?? IOWs, is exercise a regular part of your routine? And if so, what type(s)?

Had two knee replacements in 2016 (June and October), so I do work out at the gym pool (salt water and slightly heated).  I do stretching in the pool and run laps and work out with the pool weights.  Ride the bike using the pool noodle.  Also use the sauna for the nice heat and to dry off.  LOL

I haven't found time to exercise yet. Still adjusting to the increased responsibilities of having my grandson. Wish I could!

5 minutes ago, Marilee1011 said:

I haven't found time to exercise yet. Still adjusting to the increased responsibilities of having my grandson. Wish I could!

Welcome Marilee! I take it you're raising your GS (grandson) or taking care of him for long hours. Sorry that's made it difficult for you to find time to exercise. I know how much that can fill your (general) time and energy. Phew! I hope you at least have found a way to carve out some "me time" for yourself, even w/o exercise.

Meanwhile, please feel free to tell us more about your situation in the Grandparents Caring for Grandkids forum:

http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/forum/15-grandparents-caring-for-grandkids/

1 person likes this

Before my stroke in August, I was riding my recumbent bike 5 miles twice a day.  The doctor told me I could resume riding after a month and to start with one mile a day for a week and work back up to five, but do not ride but once a day.  

I've been back riding for three months now and I am now finding myself wanting to step on the bike the first thing each morning and again before bedtime.  The next time I see the doctor, I will ask him if I can go back to twice a day for a shorted time maybe and go from there.  I still haven't gotten all of my stamina back.

I'm really hard on myself (all things), even though I think I do quite well as staying active.

From springtime until fall, I garden and am outside doing all sort of things, but come winter, I like to be inside, though I do go for regular walks. I have a jump rope I use, though the body isn't as nimble as it used to be, but overall I'm fairly active.

Would like to have some sort of home exercise routine like sit-ups and along with a few other things, and I may just get involved with that this year as a way of introducing positive change to my life. I do know exercise makes one feel better, which in turn makes one look better, and in turn, keeps one more healthy.

I've aged well and aside from smoking (shame on me, I know, such a naughty habit), I have no other bad habits, and I eat really well, so hopefully that will help keep me on the straight.

I have a set of Richard Simmons videos...on VHS....I always liked that he used real people in his videos, not svelte models...years ago we got my mom his "Silver Foxes" series for older women. The music is fun and routines simple...

1 person likes this

Loved Free Girl's idea of cycling on the pool noodle! Definitely have to try that.

About a year or so ago, I saw an advertisement plastered on the side of my apt building for exercises for older ladies and ladies with injuries.  I thought this was sent down straight from heaven for me.  I signed up at the gym for those classes but unfortunately due to a recent pulmonary embolism and having been inactive for a while, I couldn't keep up. Plus my heart doctor had given me the ok for exercises with the caveat to "take it easy".

I worked out private lessons at home with the trainer teaching those courses and although I miss getting out and taking the walk to the gym in the better weather, she is one of the best things to have happened to me in years. She uses very simple exercises and movements, knows just what will and won't hurt for me, and is a task master as well. She is constantly observing my face for signs of breathlessness or tiredness and urges me to have water along the way.  I guess she is more of a physiotherapist than an exercise coach. But my body has gotten firmer, I've lost a few pounds, and I am stronger and walk straighter than before. Does she charge more than a group class would cost? Yes, but much less than what a doctor would cost if I ignored these exercises that help my circulation, sense of balance, and muscle strength!

I took some time off when I was out of town, and I could really feel the difference. Back on the wagon again now, and thankful for it!

Also, I love to swim, for both physical and psychological effects. But when I go into the water, I feel like I get soaked to the bone. The winter is cold where we live and I'm afraid to take the chance.  Maybe March :)

As I am on my feet mostly for work I do not exercise but I do do stretches throughout the day, or else I just stiffen up, and I hate that

I just came in from a walk ~3,000 steps. I sit all day at a desk job, so I need to do this. I'll do another one later this afternoon. I have a waterproof parka I just bought for 1/2 off after I saw a quote, "There is no bad weather, only bad clothing."

My favorite kind of exercise is anything that is FUN. If it's not, I won't commit to it. I do belong to our YMCA. They have a great pool and I've gone to water aerobics over many seasons, but it got so full I decided to do something else for a while. I discovered they had a hip hop class---now THAT is fun!!! I was not the oldest, and I felt awkward at first, but really got into it for about a year. Then, the instructor moved on....:-( They didn't find another.

So I went back to just doing the weights circuit, but it's boring. I'm thinking of giving the water aerobics another try. Gotta do something in winter. In summer I'm outdoors a lot, walking, gardening, hiking, biking. Love my bike. But it's too bitter cold and rainy to do that right now.

3 people like this

2 hours ago, KayRinWA said:

I just came in from a walk ~3,000 steps. I sit all day at a desk job, so I need to do this. I'll do another one later this afternoon. I have a waterproof parka I just bought for 1/2 off after I saw a quote, "There is no bad weather, only bad clothing."

My favorite kind of exercise is anything that is FUN. If it's not, I won't commit to it. I do belong to our YMCA. They have a great pool and I've gone to water aerobics over many seasons, but it got so full I decided to do something else for a while. I discovered they had a hip hop class---now THAT is fun!!! I was not the oldest, and I felt awkward at first, but really got into it for about a year. Then, the instructor moved on....:-( They didn't find another.

So I went back to just doing the weights circuit, but it's boring. I'm thinking of giving the water aerobics another try. Gotta do something in winter. In summer I'm outdoors a lot, walking, gardening, hiking, biking. Love my bike. But it's too bitter cold and rainy to do that right now.

I forgot to mention---I took golf lessons last year! I thought it would be good since I'm thinking I'll join the hubs on the links after I retire. I really like it! So far I've only been to the driving range with him, but that's fun. 

Edited by KayRinWA
1 person likes this

My late DH was an avid golfer...never could get into it...