• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
RoseRed135

Books for Christmas?

7 posts in this topic

My 11-year-old DGD loves to read and says she wants some new books for Christmas. DH and I would love to get her a couple, and maybe her 9-yr-old brother, too. Any ideas?

And while we're at it, any books on your Christmas (or Hanukkah, Kwanzaa or even birthday gift) shopping list for kids in your family? How about for some of the adults?

Edited by RoseRed135

I don't know what your DGD has read, but these are hits for my kids (12 yo ds, 11 yo dd)

Harry Potter series

Little House on the Prairie series

Tales of the Fourth Grade Nothing (all the Fudge series by Judy Blume)

We're about to crack open the Percy Jackson series next.

My dd also likes the Royal Diaries series. They're famous women from history (Elizabeth I is one we have) and diaries written as if from them, as when they were younger (tweens/teens). It's cool b/c it's combining history w/fiction, and makes these ppl more accessible and 'real' people, instead of dusty fact.

And if she's a strong reader, and into horses (my girls both went horse mad around 11) there's always Black Beauty, Black Stallion, etc

My 10yo boys are big readers and quite advanced for 5th grade...need to stay within appropriate subject matter boundaries yet find more sophisticated material. Last year is was the Lucy Hawking books "George's Secret Key Collection". The math & physics involved in the story were done by Stephen Hawking...so it's academically correct in the storyline. They loved them. 

I try to get them interest specific stuff...

The "Anne of Green Gables" is always good. There are 8 books in the series. I think I have those in my stash in the garage. May need to do a re-read...hmmm.

Little Women...the Betsy-Tacy series by Maud Hart Lovelace were among my favorites for years. There are 8 books in that series as well...

1 hour ago, Mame925 said:

My 10yo boys are big readers and quite advanced for 5th grade...need to stay within appropriate subject matter boundaries yet find more sophisticated material. Last year is was the Lucy Hawking books "George's Secret Key Collection". The math & physics involved in the story were done by Stephen Hawking...so it's academically correct in the storyline. They loved them. 

I try to get them interest specific stuff...

The "Anne of Green Gables" is always good. There are 8 books in the series. I think I have those in my stash in the garage. May need to do a re-read...hmmm.

Little Women...the Betsy-Tacy series by Maud Hart Lovelace were among my favorites for years. There are 8 books in that series as well...

Anne I hold off til 13-14. She's very verbose, and quoting material that flies over the head of younger kids, imo. I prefer her as a read aloud, simply so I can explain what different things mean, b/c otherwise, her spouting poetry makes their eyes glaze over.

My GD loved a book called "Wolf Hollow" written by Lauren Wolk  The story line deals with bullying, friendship, and how people from different background still learn to get along.The story takes place after WWII the characters are 11 and12 year old girls.  Wolk has a new book called "Beyond the Bright Sea." had planned to buy it, but GD bought it herself. The author's stories have character substance and historical facts. ----"Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls"  Favilli & Cavallo . Stories of history about women, ordered for GD. Another book "Out of My Mind" Sharon Draper  about a 12 yr. old  girl who is very different GD really liked.

For boys i love the book "Holes" it has a movie too!  There is a great sports series mostly baseball by John Ritter.  Gary Paulsen books are always great for any kids. Another author which kids enjoy  because of his humor is Jarrette Krosoczka. He writes about adventures at school. "Lunch Land" and "The Force Oversleeps".

I love the classics they are always great but sometimes kids have a hard time relating . Modern authors sometimes can relate better.

Thanks for these, ladies! A few of the series mentioned, DGD is already into. Others it sounds as if she'd love. :)

Interesting to hear what works in your individual families, too!