• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team

14 posts in this topic

We've talked in here before about the fact that for some people, holidays can be lonely and/or stressful. So w/ several of them approaching - Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, New Year's - I'm asking, what stresses/upsets/hurts you, if anything, during this otherwise joyous time?

Edited by RoseRed135

Solid plans make things easier for me...FC (favorite cousin) and I scheduled a cookie making day just before Christmas...we'll make the favorite family cookie (that is only made at Christmas!), drink wine and chat. I may add my sister to that mix...she never wanted to make the cookies, but was always ready for them come out of the oven...My great grandmother's recipe. Christmas Eve with the kids/GKs...no plan yet for Christmas Day, but I'm not concerned...I may just stay home and watch movies.

My shopping is mostly done (I'm a year round shopper) and am working on the mermaid afghans I'm making for the little girls...need to start pushing that! 

Nothing new, just the annual, "Holy crap, Christmas is x days away, shopping to do, cookies to bake, meal to prep, omg why haven't we won the lottery yet..." kerfuffle.

And the real kicker? I started picking up things MONTHS ago. I don't leave everything til the last minute. We have birthdays/holiday every month of the flipping year but May and July with 2 birthdays in Nov, so stuff I put away also gets used for that, too.

But, my computer is showing signs of dying AGAIN (already wiped the hard drive and lost everything to get it back once), and trying to find a decent computer is $$$ that I wasn't expecting to spend, plus had to do a cpl of things for the van (more $$$ I wasn't expecting) and the list goes on.

So, almost all my stresses are financial, as per usual, which is both good and bad.

Being a grandparent is less stress in my opinion.  Gifting is so much easier since we started doing cash.  Everybody knows I hate shopping and they can pick something up on sale after Christmas.  Everybody is coming for Thanksgiving so I'm not planning Christmas.

7 hours ago, SueSTx said:

Being a grandparent is less stress in my opinion.  Gifting is so much easier since we started doing cash.  Everybody knows I hate shopping and they can pick something up on sale after Christmas.  Everybody is coming for Thanksgiving so I'm not planning Christmas.

I'm looking forward to it.

21 hours ago, SueSTx said:

So DD and family will be there for TG, too? That's good to hear!

She said yes to her Dad's invitation even knowing her brother would be here.  We are excited.  This is the first time we have had all three grandkids in the house at the same time.

Everything got crosswise five years ago while DD and SIL were separated.  Sometimes it can take years to work misunderstandings out.  I hope this is just a first step.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, SueSTx said:

She said yes to her Dad's invitation even knowing her brother would be here.  We are excited.  This is the first time we have had all three grandkids in the house at the same time.

Everything got crosswise five years ago while DD and SIL were separated.  Sometimes it can take years to work misunderstandings out.  I hope this is just a first step.

I hope its a successful step

1 hour ago, Mame925 said:

I hope its a successful step

Ditto!

I was making plans, now I shall be all alone, and lonely this Christmas :cray:

My only grandson is just 18 months old, my oldest granddaughter is 14.  They have never met each (due to a very low contact situation within our family).  Both my AC and their families are all planning on being here Thursday.  The first time in five years.  Grandson's sister is 8.

After my stroke in August, I could be stressing out but instead, I'm gradually straightening up and getting ready to prepare for Thanksgiving.  There will only be nine of us, but that is our entire three generations.  We are small.

After we see how Thanksgiving goes, we will see what everybody's plans are for Christmas.  We used to do soup and snacks on Christmas Eve afternoon and exchange gifts.  I'd love to do that again if they are interested...If not, we will be alone.

Edited by SueSTx
1 person likes this

My children are late teens, with the oldest working in the grocery store chain, so we have had to adjust events due to her not getting a schedule but a week in advance.  Luckily the grocery store will close at 4pm on Thanksgiving and she is off at 2pm.  Time enough for her to shower and enjoy Thanksgiving dinner at 4.  Our tradition is to decorate the tree (fresh) on Christmas Eve, but we will have to wait and see what her schedule is and adjust accordingly.  We all have the holidays down to a science.  Everything is usually the same, with the exception of dessert (we try something different each year, this year is cheesecake in the insta pot).  I am quite comfortable with any adjustments that need to be made for boyfriends or eventual partners, etc.  Days before, week before, after, whatever.  

I have made numerous lunch dates with friends, 4 so far, as I am not one to be out driving around in the dark.  I have my shopping done (mostly, LOL) and will clean and decorate right after Thanksgiving.  Best Regards to all of you for a nice holiday!

On 11/21/2017 at 11:16 AM, AlfieG said:

I was making plans, now I shall be all alone, and lonely this Christmas :cray:

Once again, so very sorry, Alfie. Could you, perhaps get together w/ some other relatives or friends? I know that's not the same as being w/ your AC and GC. But, at least, you wouldn't have to be alone.

On 11/21/2017 at 11:56 AM, FreeGirl said:

My children are late teens, with the oldest working in the grocery store chain, so we have had to adjust events due to her not getting a schedule but a week in advance.  Luckily the grocery store will close at 4pm on Thanksgiving and she is off at 2pm.  Time enough for her to shower and enjoy Thanksgiving dinner at 4.  Our tradition is to decorate the tree (fresh) on Christmas Eve, but we will have to wait and see what her schedule is and adjust accordingly.  We all have the holidays down to a science.  Everything is usually the same, with the exception of dessert (we try something different each year, this year is cheesecake in the insta pot).  I am quite comfortable with any adjustments that need to be made for boyfriends or eventual partners, etc.  Days before, week before, after, whatever.  

I have made numerous lunch dates with friends, 4 so far, as I am not one to be out driving around in the dark.  I have my shopping done (mostly, LOL) and will clean and decorate right after Thanksgiving.  Best Regards to all of you for a nice holiday!

Thanks, FreeGirl! Same to you! :)