• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
SueSTx

Healthy eating between the holidays

7 posts in this topic

I found myself eating poorly since my stroke this summer and need to get things back under my control.

I love soup and I love cabbage, so I took my ham bone from Thanksgiving and made some stock for my "diet" cabbage soup.  Do a search, there are many versions online and season it to your liking.  It is filling and doesn't have a ton of calories.  I will freeze it up in meal size containers and eats some protein, salad and fresh fruits for the next month in preparation for a small splurge at our family Christmas.

If you have a healthy vegetable recipe, please share it with us.

1 person likes this

If you google Food and Wine years best vegetable dishes you might find something that inspires you .. I could frequently eat the same thing again and again or make a pot of something and incorporate it into what I eat for a week -- in other words, get in a rut! I've been eating a lot more greens, mustard and turnip greens and broccoli rabe- The first two I slow cook with onion and garlic, olive oil each time and serve it with a squeeze of lemon, sometimes add carrots and or yam or celery- I also like the riced cauliflower, I buy it frozen- Throw it in a pan and brown it a bit and add whatever you feel like adding to it- Ive not tried the riced broccoli, but the riced cauliflower actually tastes nutty after being sauteed in a pan for several minutes- It's great with mushroom, eggplant and artichoke, kalamata olives .. whatever strikes your fancy ..

1 person likes this

This is a fabulous recipe that I shared with my clients before Thanksgiving but it is also one that was so good my husband says I must make often!  Hope you enjoy it!

Bread Free Stuffing

4 Tbs. ghee, bacon grease, coconut oil, or olive oil

1 head cauliflower, cut into florets

2 - 3 cups diced butternut squash

1 onion, diced

2 cloves minced garlic

8 oz chopped mushrooms of choice 

1 granny smith apple, diced

½ tsp. chopped fresh thyme

½ tsp. chopped fresh rosemary

Sea salt and pepper

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat the oven to 400 and line two baking sheets/glass baking dishes with unbleached parchment paper.  Put the cauliflower on one sheet, and the squash on the other. Toss the cauliflower and squash each with 1 Tbs. of melted cooking fat.

Roast until the cauliflower is tender and has golden brown edges, about 30 minutes. Stir halfway through. Roast the squash until golden and tender, stirring halfway through, about 40 minutes.

Meanwhile, melt the last 2 Tbs. cooking fat in a heavy skillet. Add the onion and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, over medium heat until soft and almost caramelized.

Add the garlic, cook for a minute. Add the mushrooms and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Finally, add the diced apple and sauté for about 5 minutes, until softened but still firm. If necessary, add another tablespoon of fat.

Finely chop the herbs. In a large serving dish, toss together all the components: the squash, cauliflower, and mushrooms. Season with the herbs, salt and pepper.

2 people like this

Sounds like a great combination!

In my family, healthy vegetable meals mid-winter revolve around root vegetables and potatoes. My BIL's mom fed them potato cheddar soup all winter, according to BIL.

Cream of Potato Cheddar Soup

In large soup pot saute, in 1/2c butter - 2 chopped big yellow onions, 1c chopped celery, until soft.  Add: 2c chopped carrots, 7c cubed scrubbed (not peeled) potatoes, 4c chicken broth, salt, pepper -cook 15-20 minutes until vegetables are cooked through.  Mix 1/3c flour into 4c cream (until smooth), stir slowly into soup. Slowly raise to a boil, stirring at least 5 minutes longer (to cook flour).  Lower heat and stir in 6c grated cheddar, 1lb cooked crumbled bacon.  Serve once cheese is melted, topped with extra bacon crumbles.

1 person likes this

I love potato soup, but not hubby.

How about roasted red pepper on garlic bread? Maybe with a hint of pimento cheese?